The Breath Meter appears when a player's head is under either water or honey, representing the time the player has until they begin drowning. The Breath Meter consists of ten air bubbles (five on the Mobile version) that fade and disappear gradually as long as the character's head is submerged. When the Breath Meter is depleted, the player begins to drown and health is depleted. The Breath Meter refills quickly when the player emerges from liquid.
For breathing purposes, the player is considered "under water" when the pixel right above their eye is under water. This roughly correlates to just a pixel above where the water will be if the player stands in two full tiles of water with a tile of air in the third tile they occupy. Half-blocks can leave players drowning. In older versions and Console versions, this was actually the very top pixel of the head. It was changed to prevent players from drowning when their head bumped water-filled blocks.
Breathing time[edit | edit source]
The Breath Meter's duration changes depending on which breathing equipment or potions are used. Times shown below are in real-world time (not game time):
- Without equipment, the breath meter lasts around 22 seconds.
- With a Breathing Reed, breathing time is doubled to 44 seconds.
- While wearing a Diving Helmet, the breath meter lasts 1 minute 34 seconds.
- When both the Breathing Reed and Diving Helmet are used, the breath meter lasts 3 minutes and 8 seconds.
- Neptune's Shell and its craftings — Moon Shell and Celestial Shell — eliminate the Breath Meter while under Water, making breathing time unlimited.
- The Gills Potion eliminates the Breath Meter while under Water while the buff is in effect (2 minutes total).
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Moved to above the player's head, from under the Map.
- 1.2: Lava no longer activates the breath meter, allowing players using Obsidian Skin potions or other means to survive under it indefinitely.
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Combat Targeting • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages • Wind • World Seed|
|Interface||Minimap • Logo • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Crossover content • Explosion-proof objects • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Pickaxe Power • Rarity • Storage • Tooltips • Use time • Value|
|Game||Achievements • Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Aggro • Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Character styles • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Hairstyles • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|