|Knockback||8 (Very strong)|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Sparks emit from struck enemies|
- Butcher's Chainsaw
The Butcher's Chainsaw is a Hardmode, post-Plantera chainsaw that has a 2.5% / 3.75% (1/40 / 3/80) chance to drop from Butchers during a Solar Eclipse. Upon striking an enemy or critter, it will emit sparks akin to the projectiles produced by the Wand of Sparking, dealing damage to nearby enemies/extra segments as well. These sparks deal magic damage, meaning that any magic buffs, accessories, or armor will boost them. They also have a chance to inflict the On Fire! debuff.
Its best modifier is Godly or Demonic. Both modifiers increase the average damage output by the same amount.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The sparks that fly off the chainsaw will trigger the set bonus of both variations of Spectre armor, either healing the player or doing more damage. This does not apply to the main chainsaw, however.
- Due to its high damage and the presence of an on-hit effect, some may consider this primarily a melee weapon instead of a tool. It's not a bad choice for one, either.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Due to its high damage per hit and ability to hit enemies multiple times in rapid succession, the Butcher's Chainsaw has a high DPS. With damage boosting modifiers/accessories, the weapon has a higher potential DPS than other weapons available after Plantera, including the Terra Blade.
- As the On Fire! debuff only applies to enemies hit by the sparks, not by the chainsaw itself, careful positioning is required to make full use of the weapon's damage potential.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Butcher and the Butcher's Chainsaw are both a tribute to the 1974 American slasher film The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
- The Butcher's Chainsaw has the highest base damage and knockback of any tool, due to being designed for combat.
- Enemies immune to the On Fire! debuff do not resist the damage from the sparks.
- It is the only melee weapon that can deal magic damage, and one of the only few melee weapons able to inflict a debuff without using Flasks.
- Like all chainsaws, it will stop functioning after a minute and has to be re-started.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- All drills and chainsaws now dig faster than their non-mechanical counterparts, but have shorter range.
- Additionally, optimized digging loadouts still perform better on pickaxes/axes, but drills and chainsaws will be faster on non-optimized loadouts.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]