Cactus refers to a Desert plant, as well as the item that drops when the plant is harvested. Skip to the plant or to the item below.
The Cactus plant grows in Desert biomes on Sand. Cactus plants can be harvested using an axe or chainsaw, which causes Cactus items to drop (details below). Mining a Sand block beneath a Cactus plant using a pickaxe will quickly destroy the entire plant and yield all possible Cactus items. Corruption, Crimson, and Hallow Cacti will all drop the same Cactus items when harvested.
Cacti will sometimes grow Pink Prickly Pears on their tops.
Cactus Plants will only grow under the following conditions:
- There needs to be at least one layer of sand below it.
- The Cactus requires one space of open ground to either side. A raised tile will block growth, but a lower tile will not.
- The sand it grows on needs to be above zero depth.
- They only grow at least 378 blocks away from the edges of the world, i.e. not in the zone where the Ocean biome can be generated.
Cactus is a crafting material obtained by harvesting Cactus plants (described above), in the same manner as trees. It can also be harvested by mining or hammering a Sand Block below the base of the Cactus. In addition to crafting, Cactus can be placed and used as a building material.
It takes 258 cactus to craft all items.
- The most effective way of selling cactus is to make it into cactus swords.
- Because of how easy it is to get massive amounts of cacti, crafting a ton of cactus swords until you get a legendary cactus sword is easy, lucrative, and very useful in the early game.
- Because of the -1 range attribute on the Copper Pickaxe, the cactus pickaxe becomes a viable early-game alternative since it doesn't have that drawback and due to the availability of cacti, it is also quick and easy to obtain.
- The Terraria cactus is designed after the Saguaro cactus, a species of cacti found in North & Central America noted for its "arms" and exceptional overall size.