Cages are placeable decorative furniture items that display Critter. A Critter caught with the Bug Net is combined with the Terrarium to craft a Cage. Cages resemble aquariums with animated Critters inside.
Gold Cages are regular Cages containing Gold Critters. They sell for 10 . Aside from the sell price, they are the same as regular Cages.
Cages exist as background furniture, and nothing can be placed on them, nor can they be placed on top of each other. All Cages measure either 6 tiles wide by 3 high, or 3 tiles wide by 2 high, and are partially transparent. Cages cannot be opened, broken, or un-crafted, so once a Critter is crafted into a Cage, that particular Critter can no longer be released.
- Gold animals inside terrariums sell for the same price as without one, so it may be desirable to sell the animal without a terrarium.
- Some animals that have a sell price have no value when placed in a terrarium.
- The Penguin's sprite in the Penguin Cage resembles the Baby penguin, rather than the Penguin used to craft it. This may be due to resolution constraints making it difficult to draw a proper Penguin inside the cage's borders.
- The game's name, Terraria, is the plural form of the word terrarium.
- Console 1.07 Holiday Update: Introduced the Terrarium and caged critters (Bird, Black Scorpion, Blue Jay, Bunny, Cardinal, Frog, Glowing Snail, Grasshopper, Mouse, Penguin, Scorpion, Snail, Squirrel, and Worm).