Camera Mode is a special mode introduced to the Desktop version in 188.8.131.52 for taking screenshots of a Terraria world, providing additional controls to capture images of selected areas of the map or screen. Camera Mode is activated by pressing F1 or clicking the camera icon above the Armor dye slots in the inventory, which replaces the gameplay interface with a specialized image capture interface. While Camera Mode is active, mouse control is used to frame the picture, and the player can neither build nor use items, but selecting an item on the hotbar using the number keys or pressing Esc will cancel Camera Mode.
Unrevealed sections of the world will not be uncovered by Camera Mode, represented as black swaths similar to ordinary unexplored areas on the minimap.
Camera Mode is also present in the Mobile version of Terraria. Although it is not fully functional (images not being stored anywhere or sometimes freezing the game completely) it can still be accessed by plugging in a keyboard and pressing the F1 key in-game.
Features[edit | edit source]
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
The most basic utility provided by Camera Mode, the screenshot, takes a full-size picture of the screen. The interface is hidden in screenshots taken using this function. The produced image is the same size as the viewable window, meaning that the size of produced images will change if the game window is resized.
Snapshots[edit | edit source]
The primary function of Camera Mode is its ability to capture selected areas of the screen by using the frame functions:
- Using Pin Frame, left and right clicking will set the two opposing corners of the rectangular capture area highlighted in white.
- Set Frame allows the player to drag the edges to expand the frame.
- Reset Frame removes the frame entirely.
- Take Snapshot produces a complete image of the region inside the frame. Frames can also be set from the minimap, which can be accessed by pressing M or selecting the Open Map function.
Open Folder[edit | edit source]
Both snapshots and screenshots are save to the
Captures folder and can be accessed by using the "Open Folder" function. This only functions in windowed mode.
- On Windows Vista and later,
- On Windows XP,
%USERPROFILE\My Documents\My Games\Terraria\Captures
- On Windows XP,
- On Mac, open Finder and press "Go" on the top. Then press "Go to folder...". Type in
- On Linux,
- This is typically
- This is typically
Settings[edit | edit source]
Prior to taking a picture, several options can be selected to modify the camera's output.
- Image Packing: When taking a snapshot larger than the screen, Image Packing causes it to be compressed into a single continuous image, during which the completed image is "zoomed out". Disabling this feature instead produces a folder containing several exact replicas which the player will need to stitch together in an external image editor. This process is also slower to complete, but produces a 1:1 replica of the captured area.
- Capture Entities: If disabled, the final image will not include the player, any pets or minions, NPCs or enemies.
- Capture Background: If disabled, the final image will be presented on a transparent background.
- Biome Pick: The nine squares of flowing water /thirteen biome icons at the bottom of the Settings menu allow for the changing of the displayed biome background and water color; for example, a picture of The Crimson could include The Hallow's bright purple water and pastel tree backgrounds. This background will be applied to the entirety of the image, even if it spans multiple biomes.
|Filter||Description ( Desktop 184.108.40.206)|
|Default||Display background and water color of the biome the player currently is in.|
|Forest||Displays current Forest background and blue water.|
|The Corruption||Displays current Corruption background and purple water.|
|Jungle||Displays current Jungle background and teal water.|
|The Hallow||Displays current Hallow background and magenta water.|
|Snow biome||Displays current Snow biome background and light blue water.|
|Desert||Displays current Desert background and turquoise water.|
|Underground||Always displays Forest background of the left part of a world (due to a bug) and dark blue water from the Underground layer.|
|Cavern||Always displays Forest background of the left part of a world and murky purple water from the Cavern layer.|
|The Crimson||Always displays Forest background of the left part of a world and red water from during a Blood Moon instead of the Crimson's usual backgrounds and pinkish water color.|
|Underground Desert||Displays current Desert background and yellow water from the Underground Desert.|
|Ocean||Displays current Ocean background and blue water.|
|Glowing Mushroom biome||Displays current surface Glowing Mushroom background and dark blue water.
Screenshot is set in darkness, as in an actual surface Glowing Mushroom biome.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Added protections against crashes when taking large snapshots.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Revamped biome filter icons. Added 4 new filters.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Unexplored areas will now show up in black.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced, but not fully functional.