"Celestial creatures are invading!"
The Lunar Events are a series of four late-Hardmode events initiated by defeating the Lunatic Cultist boss. Once the boss is defeated, four different sections of the world each show a large planet in their backgrounds and spawn several unique enemies at high spawn rates, with one corresponding Celestial Pillar in each. These areas can be found on the minimap via icons that represent each of their Celestial Pillars.
Defeating a Celestial Pillar reverts an area back to normal. In order to damage a pillar, one must first kill 100 / 150 enemies from within its section, which removes the shield that protects the pillar and makes it vulnerable to attacks.
Defeating all four Celestial Pillars triggers the status message "Impending doom approaches...", signifying that the Moon Lord, Terraria's final boss, is about to spawn. It spawns one minute after the message appears.
Contents[edit | edit source]
- Portal Gun
- Meowmere Minecart
- Star Wrath
- Celebration( )
- Celebration Mk2
- Last Prism
- Lunar Flare
- Rainbow Crystal Staff
- Lunar Portal Staff
- Moon Lord Mask
- Moon Lord Trophy
- Suspicious Looking Tentacle(Expert only)
- Gravity Globe(Expert only)
- Celestial Starboard(Expert only)
- Piece of Moon Squid(Master only)
- Moon Lord Relic(Master only)
- Drakomire Rider Banner
- Selenian Banner
- Corite Banner
- Sroller Banner
- Crawltipede Banner
- Drakomire Banner
- Vortexian Banner
- Alien Queen Banner
- Alien Hornet Banner
- Alien Larva Banner
- Storm Diver Banner
- Nebula Floater Banner
- Brain Suckler Banner
- Predictor Banner
- Evolution Beast Banner
- Star Cell Banner
- Flow Invader Banner
- Twinkle Popper Banner
- Milkyway Weaver Banner
- Stargazer Banner
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The defeat of a pillar is announced in a status message:
- "Your mind goes numb..." – first pillar defeated
- "You are overwhelmed with pain..." – second pillar defeated
- "Otherworldly voices linger around you..." – third pillar defeated
- "Impending doom approaches..." – fourth pillar defeated
- Celestial creatures do not drop coins, even with the Lucky Coin (or its derivatives) equipped. They also do not drop Presents during Christmas, Goodie Bags during Halloween, or Biome Keys.
- In a singleplayer world, the Celestial Pillars will not disappear when the player dies or exits Terraria completely. The pillars must be destroyed in the world, otherwise they will stay in the world indefinitely.
- The Moon Lord may not be summoned via the Celestial Sigil while the pillars are still active.
- Exiting the world after the "Impending doom approaches..." status message has appeared will cancel the event and prevent the Moon Lord from spawning.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is a good idea to defeat the pillar of your respective class first, as that pillar will provide the most effective weaponry for the rest.
- It can be helpful to launch the Lunar Events even if the player does not have the means to survive them fully yet, as gradually defeating pillars grants access to stronger equipment. Even if the fight against the Moon Lord is lost, the player will be much better prepared than before.
- Because neither sentries nor the pillars despawn or leave when the player dies or leaves, as enemies do, sentries can continue attacking a pillar with no players nearby, as long as the shield is already gone.
- Flying in and out of the celestial area, letting only a limited number of enemies spawn at a time, can prevent getting overwhelmed. The shield will still be shattered eventually. Once it is broken, the pillar can be attacked from safe distance, e.g. from above (with any suitable ranged weapon or melee projectile) or from the side (with a long-lasting, gravity-unaffected projectile such as the Terra Blade's Terra Beam). Flying mounts or the Static Hook can be useful for hovering mid-air.
- Setting up teleporters or acquiring the Magic Conch before starting can immensely speed up the fight. Though it is very difficult to determine exactly where the pillars will spawn, the two closest ones will be around one-fifth of the map away from the center, and the furthest about three-fifths. On subsequent fights, the pillars will spawn in the exact same locations as before, though which pillar is where may be randomized. Like during other events, the Pylon network will be disabled, so it cannot be used for quick travel.
Music[edit | edit source]
These music tracks play while the Lunar Events are ongoing. Like most other tracks, they can be recorded with Music Boxes. On the Desktop version, when Otherworldly music is enabled, tracks from Terraria: Otherworld will play instead.
|The Towers||Music Box
|A fast, abstract, and especially intense theme. Originally intended for the final boss, in the two years between the album's release and the introduction of the track in-game, plans had changed. Its album name would be used for the Moon Lord theme.|
|The Towers (Otherworldly)||Otherworldly Music Box
|Somewhat heroic-sounding, and features chanting as well as ample amounts of electric guitar.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The music played during the Lunar Events was made available as part of the second Terraria Soundtrack volume under the title "Lunar Boss" despite not being implemented in the game.
- This is one of the only two events in the game whose enemies do not drop coins, along with the Old One's Army .
- The naming of the Lunar Events is inconsistent; the game's source code identifies the event as the "Lunar Apocalypse", and the Journey's End changelog refers to it as the "Lunar Invasion".
- While the Lunar Events are active, other events such as the Solar Eclipse or Pirate Invasion may occur. However, while near a pillar, the pillar's enemy spawns will override those of the event.
- While the Lunar Events are active, sleeping is disabled. You can still set your spawn and lay in the bed, but time will not accelerate as usual.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Planet sprites updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced.