Rod of Discord
|Use time||19 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Teleports to the position of the mouse|
|Debuff duration|| 6 seconds |
|Debuff tooltip||Using the Rod of Discord will take life|
Using the Rod of Discord costs no mana or ammunition; however, each use inflicts the Chaos State debuff on the player for 6 / 9 seconds. The debuff causes the player to lose 1/7th / 1/6th of their maximum health if they use the Rod again while the debuff is active.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The target location must be at least 3 blocks high and 2 blocks wide. Clicking will always place the player's feet at the mouse position. Thus, in order to teleport into a 3 block-high opening, the player must aim the mouse at the floor. Unsuccessful teleports play the same sound, but do not inflict the debuff.
- While teleporting cancels fall damage, it does not reset wing flight time.
- Despite causing no damage to enemies, it can be placed on a Weapon Rack.
- Using the Rod of Discord does not cancel the Shroomite armor's stealth.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If this item is used correctly, it has the potential to become one of the best items for maneuvering the map. For instance, it is very useful for capturing Truffle Worms, as they can be caught almost immediately upon materializing.
- While it is one of the rarest items in the game, it can be obtained immediately after the start of Hardmode without requiring defeating any additional bosses.
- Setting the game resolution to maximum will allow seeing farther, enabling farther teleport distances.
- This item is valuable for dodging high-damage attacks, such as the Moon Lord's Phantasmal Deathray or contact damage from the Dungeon Guardian.
- Attempting to teleport into the Jungle Temple before Plantera is defeated will not work. It will work after Plantera is defeated, even allowing the player to enter a locked Jungle Temple without using up a Temple Key.
- Since this item is one of the few ways to deal self-damage on command, it can be used with the Shrimpy Truffle to activate the speed boost.
- This item is useful for getting the Frequent Flyer Achievement, due to the high, controllable damage the Chaos State debuff inflicts.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dying from teleporting during the Chaos State will display unique death messages:
- "<Player Name>'s legs appeared where his/her head should be"
- "<Player Name> didn't materialize"
- In the Mobile version, it does not properly display the death message, and instead either message has a chance to show:
- "<Player's name>'s legs appeared where his head should be" (Still possible if character is female)
- "<Player's name>'s legs appeared where her head should be" (Still possible if character is male)
- Due to the incredibly low spawn rate of Chaos Elementals in the Mobile version, it is nearly impossible to obtain this item.
- On the Mobile version, if a player slides the slider that allows use of a tool with the Rod of Discord in their hand, it will teleport them to the same spot where they were standing, while still applying the Chaos State debuff and/or damaging them.
- The Chaos State debuff was introduced to combat the problem of being able to use the Rod of Discord repeatedly, granting the user an arguably overpowered method of transportation or evasion.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Teleporting now quickly shifts the viewpoint instead of instantly setting it to the destination point.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Chaos State damage reduced from one sixth to one seventh of user's total health, and duration decreased from 8 to 6 seconds.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Chaos State damage reduced from one fifth to one sixth of user's total health, and duration decreased from 10 to 8 seconds.
- Rod of Discord works properly when gravity is flipped.
- Using a Rod of Discord releases all grapples.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Inflicts Chaos State upon use to deter teleport spamming.
- Can no longer be used to enter a locked Jungle Temple (unless the Lihzahrd Walls at target location are removed).
- Using Rod of Discord near the end of the map will no longer cause you to crash.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: The Rod of Discord now properly drops.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.