Rod of Discord
|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Teleports you to the position of the mouse|
Teleports you to the position of the cursor
Using the Rod of Discord costs no mana or ammunition; however, each use inflicts the Chaos State debuff on the player for 6 / 9 seconds. The debuff causes the player to lose 1/7th / 1/6th of their maximum health if they use the Rod again while the debuff is active.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The target location must be at least 3 blocks high and 2 blocks wide. Clicking will always place the player's feet at the mouse position. Thus, in order to teleport into a 3 block-high opening, the player must aim the mouse at the floor. Unsuccessful teleports play the same sound, but do not inflict the debuff.
- Attempting to teleport into the Jungle Temple before Plantera is defeated will not work. It will work after Plantera is defeated, even allowing the player to enter a locked Jungle Temple without using up a Temple Key.
- While teleporting cancels fall damage, it does not reset the wing flight timer.
- Despite causing no damage to enemies, it can be placed on a Weapon Rack.
- Using the Rod of Discord when moving maintains the player's movement speed.
- Using the Rod of Discord does not cancel the Shroomite armor's stealth.
- If the player simply taps the fire/use button with the Rod of Discord on the Mobile version, they will be teleported slightly right of the spot where they were standing (and above if blocks are in the way or furniture is to the right). Using the thumbpad can see mixed results if the aim mode is set to Aim & Use rather than Aim Only.
- If the player is in Journey Mode and has enabled God Mode, the player will take no damage using the Rod of Discord while having the Chaos State debuff.
- The Rod of Discord can still be used on a mount to keep a consistent speed by teleporting around a 3 block tall space or up any surface that would combat moving the same speed
- While on a mount, teleporting into a 3 block tall space won’t work. Attempting to do so will not inflict the Chaos state debuff, but will still play the Rod's use sound.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If this item is used correctly, it has the potential to become one of the best items for maneuvering the map. For instance, it is very useful for capturing Truffle Worms, as they can be caught almost immediately upon materializing.
- This item is valuable for dodging high-damage attacks, such as the Moon Lord's Phantasmal Deathray, contact damage from the Dungeon Guardian, or the Empress of Light's Ethereal Lance during her "enraged" state.
- While it is one of the rarest items in the game, it can be obtained immediately after the start of Hardmode without requiring defeating any additional bosses.
- Since this item is one of the few ways to deal self-damage on command, it can be used with the Shrimpy Truffle or the Panic Necklace to activate the speed boost.
- By using items that increase your view, such as Binoculars, Rifle Scope, Sniper Rifle or Sniper Scope, then quickly swapping to and using the rod, you can significantly increase the range of the teleport.
- After hitting a Golf Ball, the camera will follow it as long as the player is holding a golf club. During this time, the Rod of Discord can be quickly swapped to and used, allowing the player to teleport incredible distances.
- Increasing the game resolution in windowed mode can too increase your view, enabling farther teleport distances.
- This item is useful for getting the Frequent Flyer Achievement, due to the high, controllable damage the Chaos State debuff inflicts.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dying from teleporting during the Chaos State will display unique death messages:
- "<Player name> didn't materialize"
- "<Player name>'s legs appeared where his head should be." (male character)
- "<Player name>'s legs appeared where her head should be." (female character)
- The Chaos State debuff was introduced to combat the problem of being able to use the Rod of Discord repeatedly, granting the user an arguably overpowered method of transportation or evasion.
- This is one of the only ways in the game you can have negative health.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Changed drop rate in Expert mode to 1/400
- Now leaves a trail when teleporting.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Teleporting now quickly shifts the viewpoint instead of instantly setting it to the destination point.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Chaos State damage reduced from one sixth to one seventh of user's total health, and duration decreased from 8 to 6 seconds.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Chaos State damage reduced from one fifth to one sixth of user's total health, and duration decreased from 10 to 8 seconds.
- Rod of Discord works properly when gravity is flipped.
- Using a Rod of Discord releases all grapples.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Inflicts Chaos State upon use to deter teleport spamming.
- Can no longer be used to enter a locked Jungle Temple (unless the Lihzahrd Walls at target location are removed).
- Using Rod of Discord near the end of the map will no longer cause you to crash.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: The Rod of Discord now properly drops.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.