|Desktop-Only Content: This information (or parts of it) applies only to the desktop version of Terraria.|
While the chat box is open, a log of received messages is shown. Up to 500 messages can be remembered, and the up and down arrow keys scroll through the history.Version 1.3 introduced tags, which can be used to display items in chat messages. To do this, have the inventory open before opening the chat box, and hold
The server admin can use the say command to chat with their players from the console.
The chat display is functional in single player. It cannot be used to enter messages or commands, but still displays announcements, such as that of a Blood Moon.
Commands[edit | edit source]
The following commands can be used by all players on vanilla servers. Mods, such as TShock, may add or remove commands.
- /me action – sends a message as a third-person action. For example: * George sneezes.
- /p message – if the user is on a party, sends the message only to fellow party members.
- /players or /playing – gives a list of all players currently on the server.
- /roll – gives a random integer between 1 and 100 inclusive.
If the server is using a language other than English, some commands will be different:
|/players||/spielen||/in gioco||/en train de jouer||/jugando|
Tags[edit | edit source]
Since version 1.3, chat messages can now contain tags. Tags change the way parts of messages are displayed. They are parts of a message in the format [tag:text] or [tag/options:text].
Tags can also be used in Announcement Boxes.
The options parameter is optional, and the tag name must be at most 10 letters.
The following tags currently exist:
- color or c – displays the text parameter in a different color. The options parameter specifies the color RGB values as a hexadecimal number.
For example: [c/FF0000:This text is red.]
- item or i – displays an item. Moving the mouse over the item shows its normal tip text. The text parameter specifies the item type, either as a numeric ID or a name. The options parameter contains a comma-separated list of options that consist of a letter followed by a number. p specifies a modifier; s or x specify the number of stacked items.
For example, [i/p57:4] displays a Ruthless Iron Broadsword, and [i/s10:29] a stack of ten Life Crystals.
- name or n – displays a player's name in angle brackets. This is prepended to all messages from players. [, ] and \ characters can be escaped using a backslash.
For example: [n:Marcus] displays <Marcus>.
- a – shows an achievement. Clicking on it shows the achievement the Achievements dialog. The text parameter specifies the achievement via its internal key.
For example: [a:NO_HOBO].
- glyph or g – displays a controller button. See the Glyphs section below for possible values.
Invalid tags (for example, a non-existent achievement), are displayed with the text parameter as normal text.
Glyphs[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The 'a' tag is also registered in the code with the name 'achievement'; however, at 11 letters, this doesn't work.
- Using multiple tags within each other is not possible. For example: [c/ffffff:[n:Marcus]] will result as [n:Marcus] with the last bracket not accepting the color. In addition, the name tag will not complete because of how the outside bracket was supposed to be used rather than the inside. Order of operations, basically. However, you can color a closing bracket if it directly follows the semicolon, so to write [Marcus] You'd write [c/ffffff:[Marcus][c/ffffff:]]
History[edit | edit source]
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Combat Targeting • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages • Wind • World Seed|
|Interface||Minimap • Logo • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Crossover content • Explosion-proof objects • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Pickaxe Power • Rarity • Storage • Tooltips • Use time • Value|
|Game||Achievements • Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Aggro • Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Character styles • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Hairstyles • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|