|Placeable||1 wide × 1 high|
|Use time||15 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||'Reacts to the light'|
Chlorophyte Ore is a Hardmode ore found in the Underground Jungle that is used to craft Chlorophyte Bars. When Hardmode starts, Mud Blocks located near Jungle grass blocks (i.e., most often only in the Underground Jungle) will begin to convert themselves into Chlorophyte Ore. A pickaxe or drill with at least 200% pickaxe power is required to mine it, meaning it requires the Pickaxe Axe or Drax at the very least, whose materials require defeating all three mechanical bosses (although on , the Drax can sometimes be found in Shadow Chests).
Chlorophyte Ore will slowly spread itself by converting adjacent Mud and Jungle grass blocks into more Chlorophyte Ore, growing to large deposits over time. Furthermore, this allows it to be "replanted" and artificially seeded for a nearly renewable source of Chlorophyte. On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, Chlorophyte will also attempt to spread by converting nearby Dirt Blocks to Mud, as well as Corrupt, Crimson, Hallowed and regular grass blocks to Jungle grass.
Chlorophyte Ore can only spread and convert blocks if it is in or below the bottom half of the Underground layer. It can only spread itself to directly adjacent tiles (and only if there is not too much Chlorophyte nearby already) and can only convert tiles up to five tiles away.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Chlorophyte will only spread in a Hardmode world.
- Chlorophyte Ore's spread mechanics grant the Underground Jungle some resistance against The Corruption and The Crimson's destructive effects, especially on Desktop, Console, and Mobile (see here). However, these biomes will still spread through Stone Blocks, and more importantly, Chlorophyte Ore will not regrow or convert other Jungle features such as grass or trees.
- Despite being mud-based, Chlorophyte Ore cannot convert Mushroom grass blocks.
- Despite its tooltip, it does not need light to grow. However, it does slightly glow green when exposed to light.
- For the natural spawning of a new deposit of Chlorophyte Ore, every tile of Jungle grass (that is below the vertical middle of the Underground layer) periodically has a chance to convert a random Mud Block within a radius of 10 tiles into Chlorophyte, given there is not too much Chlorophyte nearby and there is neither a tree nor a Plantera's Bulb nor a Life Fruit directly above that Mud Block.
- The limit check of Chlorophyte near a reference tile (the random Mud Block when spawning naturally or the source block of Chlorophyte Ore when spreading) consists of two parts: First, there must not be more than 40 tiles of Chlorophyte in a 71×71-tiles rectangle centered on the reference tile (or, if the reference tile is above the Cavern layer, 20 tiles in a 105×105-tiles rectangle). Then, if this is true, there must not be more than 130 tiles of Chlorophyte in a 171×171-tiles rectangle (65 tiles in a 255×255-tiles rectangle for reference tiles above the Cavern layer). Only if this is true as well, there is not "too much" Chlorophyte Ore nearby.
- Chlorophyte Ore and Chlorophyte Bricks restrict the spread of the evil biomes around them. See biome spread for further information.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- When mining for Chlorophyte, it is advisable to avoid smaller clusters of the ore. Leaving them to grow will result in a steady, renewable supply of Chlorophyte in the long term.
- Selling the bar rather than the ore yields 54 more per bar.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name Chlorophyte is derived from chlorophyll, the color pigment responsible for photosynthesis, plus the common rock suffix -ite.
- The suffix -phyte also signifies a relation to organic or plant matter.
- Chlorophyta is a division of green algae, informally called chlorophytes.
- Its appearance when placed seems to resemble some plants' leaf cells.
References[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Desktop 1.2.3: Increased stack limit from 99 to 999, but is now rarer and grows slower.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Chlorophyte Drill can mine Chlorophyte Ore again, because the pickaxe power has been increased from 190% to 200%.
- Chlorophyte Ore is now mineable with Chlorophyte Pickaxe.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.