|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Damage||162428 (shadowflame skulls) |
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 54
The Clothier is an NPC vendor who sells mainly vanity items. He is the same character as the Old Man who guards the Dungeon before Skeletron is defeated. After defeating Skeletron, the Old Man is freed from his curse, and he disappears from the Dungeon's entrance. Once a suitable vacant house is available thereafter, he spawns and sells items. His clothes are no longer tattered, his eyes have turned blue (from red), and he is wearing a Red Hat.
|Shadowflame skull projectile|
When threatened on the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Clothier fires shadowflame skull projectiles similar to those produced by the Book of Skulls. They inflict enemies with the Shadowflame debuff for 5–10 seconds and deal 16 / 24 / 28 damage at the start of the game, but as the player progresses, the Clothier will gain various stat increases.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Black Thread||Always available.|
|Pink Thread||Always available.|
|Summer Hat||During the day.|
|Plumber's Shirt||During a full moon ().|
|Plumber's Pants||During a full moon ().|
|White Tuxedo Shirt||During the night of a full moon ().|
|White Tuxedo Pants||During the night of a full moon ().|
|The Doctor's Shirt||During a Waning Gibbous ().|
|The Doctor's Pants||During a Waning Gibbous ().|
|Familiar Shirt||Always available.|
|Familiar Pants||Always available.|
|Familiar Wig||Always available.|
|Clown Hat||If the Clown has been defeated.|
|Clown Shirt||If the Clown has been defeated.|
|Clown Pants||If the Clown has been defeated.|
|Mime Mask||During a Blood Moon.|
|Fallen Tuxedo Shirt||During a Blood Moon.|
|Fallen Tuxedo Pants||During a Blood Moon.|
|Solar Cultist Hood||During the day, if the Lunatic Cultist has been defeated.|
|Solar Cultist Robe||During the day, if the Lunatic Cultist has been defeated.|
|Lunar Cultist Hood||During the night, if the Lunatic Cultist has been defeated.|
|Lunar Cultist Robe||During the night, if the Lunatic Cultist has been defeated.|
|Tax Collector's Hat||If the Tax Collector is present.|
|Tax Collector's Suit||If the Tax Collector is present.|
|Tax Collector's Pants||If the Tax Collector is present.|
|Gravedigger Hat||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Gravedigger Coat||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Funeral Hat||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Funeral Coat||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Funeral Pants||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Tragic Umbrella||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Victorian Goth Hat||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Victorian Goth Dress||If spoken to in a Graveyard.|
|Beanie||If spoken to in a Snow biome.|
|Guy Fawkes Mask||During Halloween.|
|Tam O' Shanter||In Hardmode, during a third-quarter moon ().|
|Blue Graduation Cap||In Hardmode, during a waning crescent ().|
|Blue Graduation Gown||In Hardmode, during a waning crescent ().|
|Tiara||In Hardmode, during a new moon ().|
|Princess Dress (Clothier)||In Hardmode, during a new moon ().|
|Maroon Graduation Cap||In Hardmode, during a waxing crescent ().|
|Maroon Graduation Gown||In Hardmode, during a waxing crescent ().|
|Cowboy Hat||In Hardmode, during a first-quarter moon ().|
|Cowboy Jacket||In Hardmode, during a first-quarter moon ().|
|Cowboy Pants||In Hardmode, during a first-quarter moon ().|
|Black Graduation Cap||In Hardmode, during a waxing gibbous ().|
|Black Graduation Gown||In Hardmode, during a waxing gibbous ().|
|Balla Hat||If the Frost Legion has been defeated.|
|Gangsta Hat||If the Frost Legion has been defeated.|
|Clothier's Jacket||During Halloween.|
|Clothier's Pants||During Halloween.|
|Bundled Party Balloons||During a Party.|
|Balloon Animal||During a Party.|
|Silly Sunflower Petals||During a Party.|
|Silly Sunflower Tops||During a Party.|
|Silly Sunflower Bottoms||During a Party.|
|Hunter Cloak||When the player has an accumulate golf score of 2000 or more.|
|Any Pylon||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
|Old Walking Stick||Always available.|
|George's Hat||During a Blood Moon, male character.|
|George's Suit||During a Blood Moon, male character.|
|George's Pants||During a Blood Moon, male character.|
|Fabulous Ribbon||During a Blood Moon, female character.|
|Fabulous Dress||During a Blood Moon, female character.|
|Fabulous Slippers||During a Blood Moon, female character.|
|Oktober Locks||During Oktoberfest.|
|Dirndl Blouse||During Oktoberfest.|
|Dirndl Skirt||During Oktoberfest.|
|Alpine Hat||During Oktoberfest.|
|Festive top hat||During Christmas.|
|Toro's Head||During a Blood Moon.|
|Toro's Body||During a Blood Moon.|
|Toro's Legs||During a Blood Moon.|
|Monomi Head||During a Blood Moon.|
|Monomi Body||During a Blood Moon.|
|Monomi Legs||During a Blood Moon.|
|Shiren Shirt||During a full moon ().|
|Shiren Pants||During a full moon ().|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When the player is wearing a Red Hat:
When Nurse is present:
When Mechanic is not present:
When Truffle is present:
During a Blood Moon:
During a Party :
During a Windy Day:
During a Storm:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes [edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Underground:
When in the Hallow:
When near the Truffle:
When near the Tax Collector:
When near the Nurse:
When near the Mechanic:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Placing a shallow lava pit in the floor of the Clothier's house (e.g. by pouring one Lava Bucket into an 8- or 9-tile long horizontal recession of one tile height) will cause the Clothier to die and respawn often, leaving behind the Red Hat each time, which can be sold for
Names[edit | edit source]
The Clothier may have any of the following names:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Most of the Clothier's dialogues refer to movies starring the American actor and filmmaker Tom Hanks, namely Cast Away, Forrest Gump, The Ladykillers, Apollo 13, A League of Their Own, and The Polar Express.
- One of possible names for the Clothier is James. This is a reference to Terraria YouTuber ChippyGaming whose real name is James Bennett. His avatar is the Clothier.
- The Clothier appears to want to eat the Truffle. This can be seen in the Truffle's quote, "Everyone in this town feels a bit off. I woke up to the clothier chewing on my foot last night." and the Clothier's quote, "I'll give you a discount on your wears if you can convince <name of Truffle> to come over for a...sizing."
- This is further confirmed by the Clothier loving to live near the Truffle, while the Truffle dislikes being a neighbor of the Clothier.
- The quote "I keep having vague memories of tying up a woman and throwing her in a dungeon." is a reference to the fact that the Bound Mechanic is found in the Dungeon. It implies that the Clothier was the one who tied up the Mechanic and left her in the Dungeon, when he was possessed by Skeletron.
- This is further confirmed by the Clothier's hatred of the Mechanic.
- The quote "That Red Hat of yours looks familiar..." is referencing that the player murdered the Clothier for the Red Hat, as that is the only way to obtain it.
- This may also suggest that the Clothier may have an awareness of his previous self, as he is the only NPC to provide a remark about such an item.
- This is also the only line available when the player is wearing the Red Hat.
- The name Pip may be a reference to Philip Pirrip, called Pip, the protagonist in the 1861 novel Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Pip goes through multiple different profession changes, and eventually becomes a responsible person at the end. The Clothier starting off as an old man and then turning into a man with a stable job and income may be a metaphor for what Pip had gone through in the book.
- The Bestiary entry for the Clothier: "Once trapped under a curse, the Clothier is the master of thread. If it's fashion that's desired, he's the man! He talks in a familiar way."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Now has a chance to be named "James".
- Desktop 1.3.2: Now sells several Party-related items: Bundled Party Balloons, Balloon Animal, Silly Sunflower set.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Fixed bug where the Clothier could not be hit with projectiles, even with the Clothier Voodoo Doll equipped.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: The Clothier can now be attacked with the Clothier Voodoo Doll equipped.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1: Now has random name given to him on spawn. His deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Familiar set, The Doctor's set, and Mime Mask were added to inventory. Choice of goods become time-of-day- and event-dependent.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.