Cobalt Ore is the lowest tier of Hardmode Ore, and can spawn on the first breaking of an Altar. More will spawn on the 4th, 7th, 10th, etc destroyed Altars, albeit in decreasing amounts. Mining Cobalt Ore requires at least a Molten Pickaxe or Reaver Shark. It is immune to all types of explosions.
Palladium Ore may generate in place of Cobalt Ore. It is slightly more valuable, and the tools and weapons it crafts have slightly better stats.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- On a small map Cobalt ore spawns below a depth of 710 feet (355 tiles). [370 feet or 185 tiles - pc].
- On a medium map Cobalt ore spawns below a depth of 1,100 feet (550 tiles).
- On a large map Cobalt ore spawns below a depth of 1,270 feet (635 tiles).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Actual Cobalt is a poisonous, magnetic metal (though it is actually a key part of vitamin B12, which is necessary for living beings and has extremely low toxicity). It is named after the Kobold, at that time thought of as a mischievous spirit. Pure cobalt is an element found on the periodic table just after iron, and is actually silver-like in color, however it is never found pure in nature. Its primary historic use was as a pigment used especially in glass or porcelain, as it turns a rich "cobalt blue" when in the compound form of Smaltite, made of cobalt, iron, and nickel combined with Arsenic. This made cobalt, along with lapis lazuli, one of the few mineral blue pigments, and therefore was an extremely valuable commodity.
- Several Cobalt items in the game are Japanese-themed, namely the Cobalt Naginata, Cobalt Armor and the Cobalt Sword which resembles a katana.
- Cobalt's inventory sprite is copied by Adamantite Ore, except rotated and blue.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Placed Cobalt has a new texture.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Increased stack limit from 99 to 999.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.