|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||8 Insanely Fast|
|Tooltip||Uses coins for ammo|
Higher valued coins do more damage
- Internal Item ID: 905
The Coin Gun is a Hardmode ranged weapon that uses coins as ammunition, which cannot be retrieved once fired. Its damage and velocity depend on the type of coin fired. It is dropped very rarely (0.0125% or 1/8000 chance) by Pirate Invasion enemies, excluding the Parrot. The drop rate for the Pirate Captain is quadrupled (0.05% or 1/2000) and quintupled again with the Flying Dutchman (0.25% or 1/400).
The Coin Gun cannot receive any Modifiers that increase damage, so its highest DPS prefix is Agile (+12% speed, +3% critical strike chance). Zealous (+5% critical strike chance) serves as the most ammo-efficient option, dealing the greatest amount of damage per coin fired.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Coins are consumed from the inventory first (from top left to bottom right), then the designated coin slots.
- Without taking defense into account, it is more cost efficient to convert coins to lower denominations for ammo. However this comes at the cost of a lower damage rate. Because 1,000,000 copper coins can be made from a single Platinum Coin, Copper Coins are 125,000 times more resource-efficient than using platinum to achieve the same damage.
- The Coin Gun is affected by ammo conservation effects such as that of Shroomite armor, the Ammo Box or the Ammo Reservation Potion.
- The Coin Gun itself has 0 damage; all of its damage value comes from the coins fired. All ranged damage bonuses from equipment will be applied to the traits of the coins used to fire it (a Destroyer Emblem will add 8% critical strike chance to the Coin Gun and Gold coins, but will only add the 10% damage to the Gold Coins).
- The Coin Gun firing Platinum Coins has similar damage output per shot as the Sniper Rifle, but with nearly five times the fire rate.
- The Agile Coin Gun firing Platinum Coins has one of the highest single-target natural DPS values in the game, dealing 1736 damage per second to a target with 0 defense:
200*(60/7) + 200(0.07 + (0.93*0.04)) = 1735.7~
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If used with Platinum Coins, the Coin Gun is easily one of the most powerful weapons, though it can make combat prohibitively expensive.
- Just using Copper Coins is more efficient in terms of total damage over number of projectiles.
- The Coin Gun becomes much more viable in Expert mode due to the larger volume of coin drops.
- It pairs well with Vortex armor or Shroomite armor as it greatly increases the DPS and reduces coins used.
- The Coin Gun requires a constant craft of 100 low tier coins because the pickup of coins can convert the stacks with lower than 100 coins into a higher-tier coin, otherwise it can eventually use unwanted coins. It requires constant attention to the ammunition amount indicated. If there's less than 200 ammo, it can start using Silver, Gold or Platinum Coins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Coin Gun is extremely rare. Before 1.3, it took an average of 66-67 Pirate Invasions completed before it dropped. With the addition of the Flying Dutchman in 1.3, there is an increased chance of the weapon drop, but it is still very rare.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.08: Re-introduced.
- Console 1.03: Built in an auto-destruct for items that the player should never have (the list includes Coin Gun).
- Console 1.02: Introduced, but not implemented due to a different currency handling in the console versions causing the Coin Gun to randomly shoot coins of any value.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.