- Companion Cube
When the player and the Companion Cube are in complete darkness, the Cube can occasionally "stab" its owner, inflicting 3 damage. The stab can eventually kill the owner, displaying the unique death message "<Player name> was stabbed." Portable light sources; Suspicious tentacle will completely remove chances of being stabbed
When the Companion Cube falls into lava, it emits the Lunatic Cultist's death sound. When submerged in lava for long enough, there is a chance it may make the Moon Lord's death sound. The Companion Cube will also occasionally emit the flatulence sound normally produced by the Whoopie Cushion and its upgrades.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Lunatic Cultist sound described above will only play a maximum of once per minute, regardless of how many times the cube touches lava.
- The Companion Cube, if in complete darkness, does not need to touch the player to stab them.
- The Companion Cube will move and bounce repeatedly through solid blocks to stay close to the player if the player is more than 6 tiles away.
- When sitting in a thin amount of lava and the player is standing still, the cube (when sitting in the lava) will bounce, disappear, then reappear instantly where the player is standing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is the single most expensive item in the entire game.
- It is one of two pets that can make noises, the other being the Pet Worm.
- The Companion Cube is a direct reference to the Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube, from Valve's Portal game series.
- The Companion Cube reacting to lava is a reference to how the Companion Cube is disposed of in Portal, by being dropped into an incinerator.
- The Companion Cube stabbing the player is a reference to a line spoken by GLaDOS in Portal, in which she states "The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak." This line is also directly quoted in the Buff tooltip.
- The Companion Cube following the player may be a reference to Doug Rattmans Companion Cube from Portal 2: Lab rat, in which it follows him around and acts as his source of logic.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.1372.5: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.895.9: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced.