|Use time||19 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Susceptible to lava!|
|Buff tooltip||Will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak|
|Buy / Sell||5 / 1|
|Desktop-Only Content: This information applies only to the Desktop version of Terraria.|
When the player and Cube are in complete darkness, the Cube can occasionally "stab" its owner, inflicting 3 damage. The stab can kill the owner if at low HP, with the unique death message "[Player name] was stabbed."
When the Cube falls into lava, it emits the Lunatic Cultist's death sound. When submerged in lava for long enough, there's a chance it may make the Moon Lord's death sound. The Companion Cube will also occasionally emit the flatulence sound normally produced by the Whoopie Cushion and the items crafted from it (e.g. Fart in a Jar).
Like other pets, the Cube can activate Teal Pressure Pads.
It is one of two pets that can make noises, the other being the Pet Worm .
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Lunatic Cultist sound described above will only play a maximum of once per minute, regardless of how many times the cube touches lava.
- The Companion Cube, if in complete darkness, does not need to touch you to stab you.
- The Companion Cube will move and bounce repeatedly through solid blocks to stay close to the player if the player is more than 6 tiles away.
- When sitting in a thin amount of lava and the player is standing still, the cube (when sitting in the lava) will bounce, disappear, then reappear instantly where the player is standing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is the single most expensive item in the entire game.
- The Companion Cube is a direct reference to the Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube, from Valve's Portal game series, as is the fact that the Companion Cube can activate Teal Pressure Pads. The Companion Cube reacting to lava is a reference to how the Companion Cube is disposed of in Portal, by being dropped into an incinerator. The Companion Cube stabbing the player is a reference to a line spoken by GLaDOS in Portal, in which she states "The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak." This line is also directly quoted in the Buff tooltip.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Introduced.