|Damage||5 / 7 Melee|
|Use time||13 Very Fast|
- Copper Shortsword
The Copper Shortsword is the weakest of the shortswords and arguably the weakest weapon in the game. It has a slightly stronger counterpart, the Tin Shortsword, except in the , where the Copper Shortsword is equivalent. version
On the Desktop, Console, Old-gen console, and Mobile versions, all newly created characters will always spawn with a Copper Shortsword in their first inventory slot, and it is possible that it can have a modifier already applied to it. On the versions, newly created players will always spawn with a Wooden Sword instead of a Copper Shortsword.
Like all shortswords, this sword has a very limited range, however it is able to be used in all directions. Its high attack rate makes it somewhat effective against weak, linearly-attacking fighter-type enemies. However, it is highly recommended that new players use a Wooden Sword, Copper Pickaxe or a bow at the earliest opportunity instead of a Copper Shortsword.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The uselessness of the Copper Shortsword, even at the beginning of the game which it is supposedly suited for, has earned it "memetic" status within the Terraria community. On videos of people successfully completing challenges in Terraria such as unusual boss fights or speedruns, for example, comments saying "Now do it with a copper shortsword!" are not a rare sight, to make the seemingly impossible challenge even more ridiculous. However, there have been videos where bosses have been defeated with a Copper Shortsword.
- The developers seem to have made fun of this idea by including the Copper Shortsword in the recipe of the Zenith, an endgame melee weapon.
- A Tiny Copper Shortsword is the smallest possible sword in the game.
- It is possible to spawn with a Broken Copper Shortsword. This reduces its damage to 3, which makes the early game even harder. Furthermore, a Broken Copper Shortsword is the weapon with the second-lowest damage in the game, as the weapon with the lowest damage is the Broken Wooden Hammer, which deals 1 damage. However, a player in this condition can simply make a new sword, which is generally accepted as the best course of action for a new character anyways.
- Because the Copper Shortsword autoswings on the , its use is slightly increased. However, version players start with a wooden broadsword, a mostly better weapon.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Can now stab in any direction, not only horizontally.
- Now used to craft the Zenith.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Newly created characters will now spawn with a Copper Shortsword.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.