|Damage||5 / 7 Melee|
|Use time||13 Very Fast|
- Internal Item ID: 3507
The Copper Shortsword is the weakest of the shortswords and arguably the weakest weapon in the game. It has a slightly stronger counterpart, the Tin Shortsword, except in the , where the Copper Shortsword is equivalent. version
On the Desktop, Console, Old-gen console, and Mobile versions, all newly created characters will always spawn with a Copper Shortsword in their first inventory slot, and it is possible that it can have a modifier already applied to it. On the versions, newly created players will always spawn with a Wooden Sword instead of a Copper Shortsword.
Like all shortswords, this sword has a very limited range and attacks with a horizontal stabbing motion instead of an arc. This makes it impractical to use against flying or jumping enemies, although its high attack rate makes it somewhat effective against weak fighter-type enemies. However, it is highly recommended that new players use a Wooden Sword, Copper Pickaxe or a bow at the earliest opportunity instead of a Copper Shortsword.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The uselessness of the Copper Shortsword, even at the beginning of the game which it is supposedly suited for, has earned it "memetic" status within the Terraria community. On videos of people successfully completing challenges in Terraria such as unusual boss fights or speedruns, for example, comments saying "Now do it with a copper shortsword!" are not a rare sight, to make the seemingly impossible challenge even more ridiculous. However, there have been videos where bosses have been defeated with a Copper Shortsword.
- A Tiny Copper Shortsword is the smallest possible sword in the game.
- It is possible to spawn with a Broken Copper Shortsword. This reduces its damage to 3, which makes the early game even harder. Furthermore, a Broken Copper Shortsword is the weapon with the second-lowest damage in the game, as the weapon with the lowest damage is the Broken Wooden Hammer, which deals 1 damage. However, a player in this condition can simply make a new sword, which is generally accepted as the best course of action for a new character anyways.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Newly created characters will now spawn with a Copper Shortsword.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.