|Damage||5 / 7 (Melee)|
|Use time||13 (Very fast)|
- Copper Shortsword
The Copper Shortsword is the weakest of the shortswords and one of the weakest weapons in the game. It has a slightly stronger counterpart, the Tin Shortsword, except in the version, where the Copper Shortsword is equivalent.
On the Desktop, Console, Old-gen console, and Mobile versions, all newly created non-Journey Mode characters will spawn with a Copper Shortsword in their first inventory slot, and it is possible that it can have a modifier already applied to it. On the versions, newly created players will spawn with a Wooden Sword instead of a Copper Shortsword. In Journey Mode , newly created characters will spawn with an Iron Shortsword instead of a Copper Shortsword.
Like all shortswords, the Copper Shortsword has a very limited range and attacks with a stabbing motion at any direction on Desktop and Mobile, and horizontally in front of the player on Console, Old-gen console, and , instead of an arc. This makes it almost useless against flying or jumping enemies, although its high attack rate makes it somewhat effective against weaker fighter type enemies.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Always keep at least one Copper Shortsword, as it is required to craft the Zenith. In a world that generates with Tin Ore, it is important to keep the starter shortsword, as it is possible to create more, but copper is somewhat harder to obtain.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The uselessness of the Copper Shortsword, even at the beginning of the game which it is supposedly suited for, has earned it "memetic" status within the Terraria community. On videos of people successfully completing challenges in Terraria such as unusual boss fights or speedruns, for example, comments saying "Now do it with a copper shortsword!" are not a rare sight, to make the seemingly impossible challenge even more ridiculous. However, there have been videos where bosses have been defeated with a Copper Shortsword.
- The developers seem to have made fun of this idea by including the Copper Shortsword in the recipe of the Zenith, an endgame melee weapon.
- A Tiny Copper Shortsword is the smallest possible sword in the game.
- It is possible to spawn with a Broken Copper Shortsword. This reduces its damage to 3, which makes the early game even harder. Furthermore, a Broken Copper Shortsword is the weapon with the second-lowest damage in the game, as the weapon with the lowest damage is the Broken Wooden Hammer, which deals 1 damage. However, a player in this condition can simply make a new sword, which is generally accepted as the best course of action for a new character anyways.
- Because the Copper Shortsword autoswings on the version, its use is slightly increased. However, players start with a Wooden Sword, a mostly better weapon.
- The Zenith appears to be the same shape as the Copper Shortsword.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1: Copper Bars needed to craft decreased from 7 to 5.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Can now stab in any direction, not only horizontally.
- Now used to craft the Zenith.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Newly created characters will now spawn with a Copper Shortsword.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.