- Internal Tile ID: 21 (19-28)
Biome Chests are Hardmode Chests found within the Dungeon. Each contains one specific rare, powerful weapon, in addition to other miscellaneous items. While Biome Chests are placed during world creation, they are initially locked and can only be opened with an appropriate Biome Key, which will only become available in Hardmode.
Only four Biome Chests (one of each type) will spawn in a particular world. Each represents a Biome found in the current world. There are five types of Biome Chests in total, though a world will only contain one of the Crimson or Corruption variant, depending on which of those Biomes the world contains.
To open a Biome Chest:
- Kill Plantera to lift the curse from Biome Keys, allowing the keys to be used. If you have not killed Plantera keys have the inscription "It has been cursed by a powerful Jungle creature" (In the mobile version, this is not necessary)
- Obtain the appropriate Biome Key by killing Enemies within their respective Biome.
- Return to the Dungeon and find the appropriate Chest for the Key you found.
Types[edit | edit source]
The chests also contain common items depending on the height they were found:
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Big Booty • "Unlock one of the dungeon's large, mysterious chests with a special key."|
|Open your first Biome Chest.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In the Mobile version, Frozen Chests are obtainable pre-Hardmode. Unlocked Frozen Chests generate in Heart Shrines, but do not contain a Staff of the Frost Hydra. Instead, they may contain Heartreach Potions, Heart Statues, Heart Lanterns, Heart Arrows, a Valentine Ring, or coins.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Biome Key drops are incredibly rare (1/2500 is the chance of a key dropping from a defeated enemy in a biome). You'll probably need to defeat many thousands of enemies to see one drop. With the right equipment and some time, you can set up a biome key farm or grinder in the biome to get there sooner.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Biome keys are now dropped instead of key molds. Biome Chests can only be opened after Plantera has been defeated.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Biome keys are now crafted with rare hardmode drops.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.