- Internal Tile ID: 21 (19-28)
Biome Chests are Hardmode chests found within the Dungeon. Each contains one specific rare, powerful weapon, in addition to other miscellaneous items. While Biome Chests are placed during world creation, they are initially locked and can only be opened with an appropriate Biome Key, which will only become available in Hardmode.
Only four Biome Chests (one of each type) will spawn in a particular world. Each represents a biome found in the current world. There are five types of Biome Chests in total, though a world will only contain one of the Crimson or Corruption variant, depending on which of those biomes the world contains.
In order to open a Biome Chest, the following steps are required to take:
- Kill Plantera to lift the curse from Biome Keys, allowing the keys to be used. As long as Plantera has not been killed, Biome Keys display the tooltip "It has been cursed by a powerful Jungle creature".
- Obtain the appropriate Biome Key by killing enemies within their respective biome. On the Old-gen console version and , the keys are crafted using versionKey Molds dropped by these enemies.
- Return to the Dungeon and find the appropriate Chest for the Key that was obtained.
Types[edit | edit source]
The chests also contain common items depending on the height they were found:
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Biome Key drops are extraordinarily rare (1/2500 is the chance of a key dropping from a defeated enemy in a biome). It is likely that thousands of enemies have to be defeated to see one drop. With the right equipment and some time, a Biome Key farm can be set up in the biome to get there sooner.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The weapons found in each chest are based off of the four classes. The Vampire Knives and Scourge of the Corruptor are melee, Piranha Gun is ranged, Rainbow Gun is magic, and Staff of the Frost Hydra is summoning.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Biome keys are now dropped instead of key molds. Biome Chests can only be opened after Plantera has been defeated.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Biome keys are now crafted with rare Hardmode drops.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.