- Item (Quantity)Rate
- 20% /
- 20% /
- 20% /
- 20% /
Crimson Hearts are floating, pulsing red hearts found deep in the branches of the Crimson. A world with Crimson features several Crimson Hearts, and destroying some of them is often a crucial step in game advancement. This can be done using any Hammer, or any explosive. Crimson Hearts release a fair amount of their own flickering light, similar to Crimson Altars, which helps players spot them underground.
Crimson Hearts are usually located at the ends of the branches that split from the main circular room of a Crimson area, kept inside small rooms of Crimstone Blocks. In order to reach them the player may use a Nightmare Pickaxe, Deathbringer Pickaxe or better pickaxe, explosives, or Purification Powder.
Consequences of destruction[edit | edit source]
- Each Crimson Heart drops items when destroyed.
- The first Crimson Heart you break on any given map will always drop an Undertaker and 100 Musket Balls. Carrying the Undertaker or Musket Balls will fulfill the criteria for the Arms Dealer to arrive.
- Having broken a Crimson Heart is also one of the two criteria for a Goblin Army to attack, which has a 1/15 chance of occurring on each subsequent day (you will also need to have at least one player that has 200 or more health in order for the Army to begin invading).
- Prior to 22.214.171.124, each Crimson Heart destroyed provides a chance for a Meteorite to land. Each Crimson Heart gives a separate 50% chance of immediately causing a Meteorite to fall when destroyed between midnight (12:00 AM) and dawn (4:30 AM). Destroying any number of Crimson Hearts between dawn and midnight will only allow one 50% chance of a Meteorite falling the following midnight. After 126.96.36.199, meteorites will only drop after Brain of Cthulhu has been defeated.
- The third Crimson Heart destroyed summons the Brain of Cthulhu, which immediately spawns and attacks the player. The Brain of Cthulhu is re-summoned with every third Crimson Heart destroyed.
- After a Crimson Heart is destroyed, the Traveling Merchant has a chance to sell the Revolver.
Messages[edit | edit source]
The following status messages appear upon destruction of Crimson Hearts:
- First Heart: "A horrible chill goes down your spine..."
- Second Heart: "Screams echo around you..."
- Third Heart: "Brain of Cthulhu has awoken!"
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Both Crimson Hearts and Shadow Orbs drop a gun, magic weapon, melee weapon, light pet, and an accessory.
- Crimson Hearts and Shadow Orbs share the same counter for how many have been destroyed in a world, meaning that if both appear in the same world, such as in the "Drunk World" secret world seed, destroying three total of either will summon the boss associated with the last one broken.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Meteorites now no longer fall until after Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu have been defeated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Map now correctly refers to them as Crimson Hearts instead of Shadow Orbs.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.