Critical hits occur randomly when striking enemies. By default, each successful hit on an enemy has a 4% chance of being a "critical hit", dealing approximately double the usual damage of the weapon in use with 40% more knockback. A small number of weapons have a base critical strike chance that is higher than the 4% default. In addition, certain modifiers, armor bonuses, accessories, and buffs can boost the player's effective critical strike chance.
Visually, critical hits are displayed as slightly exaggerated bold damage numbers that linger on-screen for a longer period and travel slightly higher than damage numbers from ordinary hits.
Minions cannot normally deal critical hits, only by wearing a full set of Monk armor or Shinobi Infiltrator armor with any of the Lightning Aura sentry summons or by using a Morning Star or Kaleidoscope with any minion can crits be dealt at a fixed rate depending on which is used. The armor set bonuses and whip effects can be stacked for a maximum of 35% crit chance.
Players attacking other players in PvP will also not deal critical hits.
Weapons with non-standard base critical strike chance[edit | edit source]
Internal Item ID: 96
Internal Item ID: 220
|11% / 4%|
Internal Item ID: 287
Internal Item ID: 670
|6% / 4%|
Internal Item ID: 671
|17% / 4%|
Internal Item ID: 682
Internal Item ID: 724
Internal Item ID: 1254
|29% / 19%|
|Staff of Earth
Internal Item ID: 1296
Internal Item ID: 1553
|Candy Corn Rifle
Internal Item ID: 1782
|Jack 'O Lantern Launcher
Internal Item ID: 1784
Internal Item ID: 1835
Internal Item ID: 2223
Internal Item ID: 2269
Internal Item ID: 2273
Internal Item ID: 2331
Internal Item ID: 3052
|Shadowflame Hex Doll
Internal Item ID: 3053
Internal Item ID: 3054
|Wand of Sparking
Internal Item ID: 3069
Internal Item ID: 3258
Internal Item ID: 3291
Internal Item ID: 3350
Internal Item ID: 3389
Internal Item ID: 3787
Internal Item ID: 3859
Internal Item ID: 4679
Internal Item ID: 4715
Internal Item ID: 4722
Internal Item ID: 4956
Boost gear[edit | edit source]
Melee[edit | edit source]
|Solar Flare Helmet||+26%|
|Moon Charm||+2% (during night)|
|Turtle Scale Mail||+8%|
|Beetle Scale Mail||+8%|
|Valhalla Knight's Greaves||+20%|
|Shinobi Infiltrator's Pants||+20%|
Ranged[edit | edit source]
|Fossil Armor (All pieces)||+9%|
|Shroomite Headpiece (All helmets)||+5%|
|Cloak from Shroomite armor||Up to +10%|
|Cloak from Vortex armor||Up to +20%|
|Red Riding Hood||+10%|
|Titan Helmet ( only)||+10%|
|Titan Mail ( only)||+10%|
Magic[edit | edit source]
|Jungle armor||+12% / 9%|
|Wizard Hat with a Robe||+10%|
|Dark Artist's Leggings||+25%|
|Spectral Headgear ( only)||+15%|
|Spectral Armor ( only)||+10%|
All[edit | edit source]
|Bowl of Soup||+2%|
|Hallowed Plate Mail||+7%|
|Chlorophyte Plate Mail||+7%|
|Precise or Lucky prefix on accessories||+2% or +4%|
|Eye of the Golem||+10%|
|Reforged weapons||Max +5%|
|Dragon Mask ( only)||+15%|
|Dragon Breastplate ( only)||+10%|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Damage is doubled after being reduced by defense.
- When held, weapon modifiers affect all outgoing critical hits from that class's projectiles. Weapon modifiers will cease affecting critical chance when not selected.
- While ammo might seem to be affected by crit bonuses, crit chance actually entirely depends on weapon stats.
- It is generally best to attempt to equalize your total accessory crit chance bonus and your total accessory damage bonus, as this will maximize your overall DPS.
Maximizing critical hits[edit | edit source]
- Maximum critical strike chance is 146%Verify(It appears that the suggested build to reach this critical strike chance makes use of multiple celestial items, which no longer stack on desktop as of 1.4), attained by combining the following at night:
- Although the Psycho Knife will increase critical strike chance by 30% at its stealth mode, the critical strike chance shown in the tooltip will be 100% when the actual critical strike chance is higher than 100%.
- By properly parrying an enemy's attack using the Sergeant United Shield the player is given the buff Striking Moment and an additional 400% damage for the next attack.
- Maximum critical chance is 121%, attained by combining the following:
- Dragon Mask can be swapped with Hallowed Mask.
- As this chance caps at 100%, you can skip minor items like Celestial Stone (-2), Moon Stone (-2), Moon Charm (-2) or switch to Chlorophyte armor (-8) and still have 100% chance.
- Maximum critical strike chance is 154%, attained by combining the following:
- Maximum critical strike chance is 124%, attained by combining the following:
- As this chance caps at 100%, you can skip minor items like Celestial Stone (-2) or Moon Stone (-2) and switch to full Shroomite armor (-10) and still have 100% chance. It is even possible to use a different weapon (-15) as the stealth effect from the Shroomite armor will add an extra 10% back when necessary.
- Maximum critical strike chance is 148%, attained by combining the following:
- Maximum critical strike chance is 94%, attained by combining the following with any Mythical weapon and any Lucky accessory:
- Spectre Robe can be swapped with Hallowed Plate Mail or Chlorophyte Plate Mail.
- Also, if the last accessory is a Lucky Sniper Scope, you will have a total critical strike chance of 104%.
- Maximum critical strike chance is 89%, attained by combining the following:
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Critical Strike increase on accessory reforges have been doubled. Example: The Lucky Reforge was boosted from 2% to 4%.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.