Critters are characters that can be caught with a Bug Net and do not normally cause harm or interact with the player in any other way, except in that they can be killed by both players and enemies. They have 5 health and usually serve as ambient entities in Terraria. Most critters can be summoned by means of a statue, but will otherwise spawn randomly in any environment that supports them. There are currently 41 different Critters.
On Desktop and Console, some critter types have a golden variation that has a 1 in 150 chance of spawning instead of a normal one. These gold critters sell for 10 each. Gold critters are rare creatures which are detected by the Lifeform Analyzer . Visual identification is helped by the sparkles they emit when alive in the world.
All naturally spawned Critters can be caught with the Bug Net or Golden Bug Net , and carried in the player's inventory (or placed in storage). If a Critters caught with any Bug Net is taken from inventory and "used" (placed), it is again released into the environment at the cursor and behaves as usual.
All caught Critters can be caged to create animated display furniture. Most Critters are caged in Terrariums, however Butterflies, Fireflies and Lightning Bugs are caged in Bottles, and Goldfish are caged in Bottled Water. Bottled Fireflies and Lightning Bugs also function as valid light sources.
Types[edit | edit source]
|Critter||Environment||AI Type||Rarity||Sell||Bait Power||NPC ID||Notes|
Internal Item ID: 2015
|Forest||Bird||5||N/A||74||Banner drops after every 50th kill.|
Internal Item ID: 2889
Internal Item ID: 2156
Internal Item ID: 2016
Internal Item ID: 3194
|Jungle||Passive Worm||10||40% bait||487||Found by breaking background objects.|
Internal Item ID: 2019
|Surface||Passive||5||N/A||46||Banner drops after every 50th kill.|
Internal Item ID: 2890
Internal Item ID: 2017
Internal Item ID: 2123
|Forest||Duck||7 50||N/A||364, 365|
Internal Item ID: 3191
|N/A||Passive Worm||20||35% bait||484||Crafted with a Worm and a. Does not spawn naturally.|
Internal Item ID: 1992
|Forest - Night||Firefly||3||20% bait||355|
Internal Item ID: 2121
Internal Item ID: 2892
Internal Item ID: 2007
|Mushroom Biome||Snail||50||15% bait||360|
Internal Item ID: 261
|Water – Rain||Swimming||7 50||N/A||55, 230||Banner drops after every 50th kill. Walks on land during rain.|
Internal Item ID: 2740
|Forest||Slime||2 50||10% bait||377||Found by breaking tall grass.|
Internal Item ID: 2893
|Forest||Slime||10||50% bait||446||Rare creature. Found by breaking tall grass.|
Internal Item ID: 3192
|Jungle||Passive Worm||2 50||15% bait||485||Found by breaking Jungle grass and bushes.|
Internal Item ID: 2004
|The Hallow - Night||Firefly||5||35% bait||358|
Internal Item ID: 2122
|Forest||Duck||7 50||N/A||362, 363|
Internal Item ID: 2003
|Underground||Passive||20||N/A||300||Cannot be harmed by enemies.|
Internal Item ID: 2894
|Underground||Passive||10||N/A||447||Rare creature. Cannot be harmed by enemies.|
Internal Item ID: 2205
|Tundra||Passive||12 50||N/A||148, 149||Banner drops after every 50th kill.|
Internal Item ID: 3563
Internal Item ID: 2157
Internal Item ID: 3193
|Jungle||Passive Worm||5||25% bait||486||Found by breaking background objects.|
Internal Item ID: 2006
Internal Item ID: 2018
Internal Item ID: 3564
Internal Item ID: 2673
|Underground Mushroom Biome||Passive Worm||10||666% bait||374, 375||Only appears in Hardmode. Used to summon Duke Fishron. Can escape if the player gets too close. Detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.|
Internal Item ID: 2002
|Surface – Rain||Passive Worm||5||25% bait||357||Can also be found by breaking background objects.|
Internal Item ID: 2895
|Surface – Rain||Passive Worm||10||50% bait||448||Rare creature. Can also be found by breaking background objects.|
Butterflies[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Butterfly
|Butterfly||Environment||AI Type||Rarity||Sell||Power||NPC ID||Notes|
Internal Item ID: 2891
|Forest||Butterfly||10||50% bait||444||Rare creature.|
Internal Item ID: 2001
Internal Item ID: 1994
|Purple Emperor Butterfly||Forest||Butterfly||75||35% bait||356|
|Red Admiral Butterfly
Internal Item ID: 1996
Internal Item ID: 1998
|Tree Nymph Butterfly
Internal Item ID: 1999
|Forest||Butterfly||1||50% bait||356||Extremely rare|
Internal Item ID: 1997
|Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly
Internal Item ID: 2000
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The spawn rates and spawn caps of Critters are affected by many of the same factors as those of hostile enemies, so Water Candles, Peace Candles , Battle Potions, Calming Potions and Sunflowers will affect Critter spawns.
- Critters caught with a Bug Net when the player has a full inventory will be dropped in the world as items rather than released.
- Critters regenerate health, this can be seen by hitting them with a low damage weapon/tool, like a Copper Axe,Copper Pickaxe or a Wooden Hammer
- Once a Critter is put inside a cage, bottle, or jar, that single Critter can no longer be released, and will stay in there forever. An alternative is to simply release the critter into an enclosed area, though the Critter can then despawn if a player travels too far away.
- During a Blood Moon, Bunnies, Goldfish, and Penguins will transform into hostile enemies: Corrupt Bunnies, Corrupt Goldfish and Corrupt Penguins in a Corruption world ( and Crimtane Bunnies, Crimtane Goldfish and Vicious Penguins in a Crimson world). Critters that have been placed in inventory, storage, or cages will not be affected. These same critters can be transformed manually into their corruption form by throwing Vile Powder at them, and their crimson form by throwing Vicious Powder . All Bunnies, Goldfish, and Penguins spawned from statues will transform into enemies if they are spawned during a Blood Moon. Once these critters have transformed into hostile enemies, they can no longer be caught with a Bug Net.
- Trying to release a Goldfish will cause the goldfish to be consumed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Birds placed in a Terrarium peck in ascending order, the Blue Jay once, the Bird twice, the Cardinal three times and the Gold Bird four times.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- With several NPCs acquired, keeping Water Candles around your suitable housing will cause more Critters to spawn, without spawning enemies.
- To find exactly how much damage an enemy does, a critter can be placed on the enemy. Critters have 0 defense and enemy damage to it will not vary unlike most situations of dealing damage. Projectiles from enemies will do varying and reduced damage to critters, so it will not work for measuring projectile damage.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- There are now critter sounds.
- Added Duck and Mallard Duck, Firefly and Lightning Bug, Frog, Snail and Glowing Snail, Scorpion and Black Scorpion, Worm, and 8 Butterflies (Monarch, Sulphur, Zebra Swallowtail, Ulysses, Julia, Red Admiral, Purple Emperor, and Tree Nymph).
- Can catch all critters with Bug Net.
- You can now place critters in cages.
- Goldfish no longer drop as items when killed.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Mice can no longer be killed by enemies and no longer spawn in the underworld.
- Console 1.08: Added cages for Mallard Duck, Firefly, Lightning Bug, and Butterflies.
- Console 1.07 Holiday Update:
- Added: Duck and Mallard Duck, Firefly and Lightning Bug, Frog, Grasshopper, Scorpion and Black Scorpion, Snail and Glowing Snail, Worm and Truffle Worm, and Butterflies (Monarch, Sulphur, Zebra Swallowtail, Ulysses, Julia, Red Admiral, Purple Emperor, and Tree Nymph).
- Critters can now be caged (except for the Mallard Duck, Firefly, Lightning Bug, and Butterflies).
- All other critter content is in sync with Desktop 1.2.4.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.