Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Critters are harmless characters that can be caught with a Bug Net and do not normally interact with the player in any other way, except in that they can be killed by both players and enemies. They have 5 health and usually serve as ambient entities in Terraria. Most critters can be summoned by means of a statue, but will otherwise spawn randomly in any environment that supports them. There are currently 41 different Critters.
On Desktop and Console, some critter types have a golden variation that has a 1 in 150 chance of spawning instead of a normal one. These gold critters sell for 10 each. Gold critters are rare creatures which are detected by the Lifeform Analyzer . Visual identification is helped by the sparkles they emit when alive in the world.
All naturally spawned Critters can be caught with the Bug Net or Golden Bug Net , and carried in the player's inventory (or placed in storage). If a critter caught with any Bug Net is taken from inventory and "used" (placed), it is again released into the environment at the cursor and behaves as usual.
All caught critters can be caged to create animated display furniture. Once crafted, the critter cannot be released. Most Critters are caged in Terrariums, however Butterflies, Fireflies and Lightning Bugs are caged in Bottles, and Goldfish are caged in Bottled Water. Bottled Fireflies and Lightning Bugs also function as valid light sources.
Types[edit | edit source]
|Critter||Environment||AI Type||Rarity||Sell||Bait Power||NPC ID||Notes|
|Forest||Bird||n/a||74||drops after every 50th kill.|
|Jungle||Passive Worm||40%||487||Found by breaking background objects.|
|Surface||Passive||n/a||46, 540||drops after every 50th kill.|
|n/a||Passive Worm||35%||484||Crafted with aand a . Does not spawn naturally.|
|Forest - Night||Firefly||20%||355|
|Water - Rain||Swimming||n/a||55, 230||drops after every 50th kill. Walks on land during rain.|
|Forest||Slime||10%||377||Found by breaking tall grass.|
|Forest||Slime||50%||446||Rare creature. Found by breaking tall grass.|
|Jungle||Passive Worm||15%||485||Found by breaking Jungle grass and bushes.|
|The Hallow - Night||Firefly||35%||358|
|Underground||Passive||n/a||300||Cannot be harmed by enemies.|
|Underground||Passive||n/a||447||Rare creature. Cannot be harmed by enemies.|
|Tundra||Passive||n/a||148, 149||drops after every 50th kill.|
|Jungle||Passive Worm||25%||486||Found by breaking background objects.|
|Underground Mushroom Biome||Passive Worm||666%||374, 375||Only appears in Hardmode. Used to summon Duke Fishron. Can escape if the player gets too close. Detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.|
|Surface - Rain||Passive Worm||25%||357||Can also be found by breaking background objects.|
|Surface - Rain||Passive Worm||50%||448||Rare creature. Can also be found by breaking background objects.|
Butterflies[edit | edit source]
|Butterfly||Environment||AI Type||Rarity||Sell||Power||NPC ID||Notes|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The spawn rates and spawn caps of Critters are affected by many of the same factors as those of hostile enemies, so Water Candles, Peace Candles , Battle Potions, Calming Potions and Sunflowers will affect Critter spawns.
- Critters caught with a Bug Net when the player has a full inventory will be dropped in the world as items rather than released.
- Critters regenerate health, this can be seen by hitting them with a low damage weapon/tool, like a Copper Axe, Copper Pickaxe or a Wooden Hammer.
- Trying to release a Goldfish will cause the goldfish to be consumed.
- Once a Critter is put inside a cage, bottle, or jar, that single Critter can no longer be released, and will stay in there forever. An alternative is to simply release the critter into an enclosed area, though the Critter can then despawn if a player travels too far away.
- During a Blood Moon, Bunnies, Goldfish, and Penguins will transform into hostile enemies: Corrupt Bunnies, Corrupt Goldfish and Corrupt Penguins in a Corruption world ( and Crimtane Bunnies, Crimtane Goldfish and Vicious Penguins in a Crimson world). So it is recommended for players who are ill-equipped or have low health to either kill or capture any bunny, goldfish, or penguin in their vicinity before nightfall happens. Critters that have been placed in inventory, storage, or cages will not be affected. These same critters can be transformed manually into their corruption form by throwing Vile Powder at them, and their crimson form by throwing Vicious Powder . All Bunnies, Goldfish, and Penguins spawned from statues will transform into enemies if they are spawned during a Blood Moon. Once these critters have transformed into hostile enemies, they can no longer be caught with a Bug Net.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- With several NPCs acquired, keeping Water Candles around your suitable housing will cause more Critters to spawn, without spawning enemies.
- To find exactly how much damage an enemy does, a critter can be placed on the enemy. Critters have 0 defense and enemy damage to it will not vary unlike most situations of dealing damage. Projectiles from enemies will do varying and reduced damage to critters, so it will not work for measuring projectile damage.
- Early game, before a player can craft enough torches to place around a base, a player can use critters to alert them when an enemy is approaching.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Birds placed in a Terrarium peck in ascending order, the Blue Jay once, the Bird twice, the Cardinal three times and the Gold Bird four times.
- The Glowing Snail Cage emits a faint blue glow, similar to the one Jellyfish Necklace does when under water.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- There are now critter sounds.
- Added Duck and Mallard Duck, Firefly and Lightning Bug, Frog, Snail and Glowing Snail, Scorpion and Black Scorpion, Worm, and 8 Butterflies (Monarch, Sulphur, Zebra Swallowtail, Ulysses, Julia, Red Admiral, Purple Emperor, and Tree Nymph).
- Can catch all critters with Bug Net.
- You can now place critters in cages.
- Goldfish no longer drop as items when killed.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Mice can no longer be killed by enemies and no longer spawn in the underworld.
- Console 1.08: Added cages for Mallard Duck, Firefly, Lightning Bug, and Butterflies.
- Console 1.07 Holiday Update:
- Added: Duck and Mallard Duck, Firefly and Lightning Bug, Frog, Grasshopper, Scorpion and Black Scorpion, Snail and Glowing Snail, Worm and Truffle Worm, and Butterflies (Monarch, Sulphur, Zebra Swallowtail, Ulysses, Julia, Red Admiral, Purple Emperor, and Tree Nymph).
- Critters can now be caged (except for the Mallard Duck, Firefly, Lightning Bug, and Butterflies).
- All other critter content is in sync with Desktop 1.2.4.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.