Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- Internal Tile ID: 79
The Bed is a Furniture item that allows a player to set a new Spawn point. It must be placed within a suitable structure (details below), then right-clicked to activate. Once the criteria are met, right-clicking the bed will cause a message to be displayed in the bottom-left corner of the screen: "Spawn point set!". To set a spawn point in the Mobile version, there must be enough light around the bed and it must be tapped once. From this point on, when the player dies, or uses a Magic Mirror, Ice Mirror, Cell Phone, or Recall Potion, they will re-spawn at that bed's location. Right-clicking on the bed again will remove the spawn point. If the bed is removed, or if the criteria for the bed to function properly are no longer met, the player's spawn point will revert to the world default. If the bed is removed and replaced in the same location it will still act as the spawn point, as long as it still meets the criteria mentioned.
There are currently 27 craftable beds and 5 that can be acquired from the environment. They are functionally identical, and differ only in appearance.
Criteria[edit | edit source]
For a bed to function properly and allow you to set your spawn point, the following criteria must be met:
- The bed must have enough space. The room doesn't have to be any specific shape but the area of the room (including the walls, ceiling and floor) must equal at least 60 tiles but less than 750.
- Enemies must not be able to spawn in the room; The room must have player-placed walls behind it. The background walls can not be a naturally-occurring wall. This includes dirt, mud and the background walls in Chasms and the Dungeon. (Player-placed dirt walls will work). However, the naturally-occurring Flower Walls in an Enchanted Sword Shrine will work. Holes in the background wall must be no larger than 4 tiles wide or 4 high. (For example, a room that is 9 wide and 4 high split with a background wall down the center is usable as a bedroom).
- Wood platforms can be used as the room's floor and/or ceiling.
- A bed may be placed in a non-rectangular room as long as the leftmost 3 blocks immediately above it are left clear. For instance, you may have a bed (4x2) surrounded by walls on the left, right and bottom sides, and above the foot of the bed. So long as there is space for the player to spawn at the bed (3 high), the bed can be set as a spawn point. See the image below.
This is valid placement of the bed, as the top left 3 spaces just above the bed are clear.
The mirror image of this is also valid.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Noncraftable Beds[edit | edit source]
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Found in Ruined houses, does not disappear in lava.|
|Dropped by Pirates.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It can be placed underground, as long as the other conditions are met. If the requirements are met, right clicking the bed should set your spawn and show the message "Spawn point set!".
- Note the bed will work underwater as long as the other conditions are met.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is advisable to place your bed in the same house that your Nurse lives in, so you can heal yourself immediately after using a Magic Mirror with low health. However, be careful not to reset your spawn point, which can happen if the nurse is standing in front of your bed.
- If you come across a naturally-generated structure underground with Planked Walls or other craftable wall, it can be made suitable as a spawn point by filling any missing side walls, floor, and ceiling with blocks or platforms and placing a Bed. If you still can't set a spawn point, hammer the back walls and rearrange them so any holes don't exceed 4 tiles.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Pink Dungeon Bed was previously called Red Dungeon Bed. It still is on old-gen consoles.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Crystal Bed added.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Meteorite, Granite, Marble and Martian Beds added.
- Now able to remove spawn point by right-clicking on the bed again.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, and Pumpkin Beds added.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: If you place a bed somewhere that would cause you to not spawn without breaking through blocks you will now get a message when trying to set your spawn point letting you know the bed is not in a suitable position.
- Desktop 1.2: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 1.0.2: Placing a bed far from the spawn no longer causes a player who has set their spawn there to crash on join.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.07: Added Bone, Pumpkin, Skyware, Slime, and Spooky Beds.
- Console 1.06: Added 1.2.3 Beds.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.12715: Fixed a bug where Bed spawn set messages would not appear.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Added Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, Pumpkin Beds, and all 1.2.3 Beds.
- Mobile 1.0.2: Fixed a different bug involving bed placement for Google Play release.
- Mobile 1.0.1: Fixed Bed placement bug for Android.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.