Crystal Shards are a common Hardmode () crafting material found in the Underground Hallow, where they naturally grow on any side of Pearlstone Blocks and Pink Ice Blocks. Due to their constant regrowth, they can be farmed. Crystal Shards emit a small glow, similar to Demonite Ore and Crimtane Ore. They do not spread the Hallow.
Crystal Shards furthermore have a
50*1/2 (50%) chance to be obtained from Divine Crates, in stacks of 4–10. On the version, they are always dropped by Arch Demons in stacks of 3–4 and are thus available pre-Hardmode.
Crystal Shards are also placeable in nearly any position (on walls, floors, and ceilings), though they are often not luminous enough to replace other light sources, and placement has no other functional effect. Although natural Crystal Shards can only grow on Pearlstone and Pink Ice, once harvested, they can be placed anywhere.
Crafting all items, including only one color of Phasesaber (excluding consumables), requires a total of 115 Crystal Shards. Add 250 for all the other Phasesaber colors.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Crystal Shards can grow in liquids and in front of background walls.
- They do not require an actual Underground Hallow biome to grow. Any Pearlstone or Pink Ice Block in or below the cavern layer qualifies as a source block.
- A Crystal Shard can only grow if there are less than two other Crystal Shards within a 13×13-tile rectangle centered on the target tile.
- Crystal Shards are randomly colored either pink, purple, or blue when grown or placed. Their color has no functional effect.
- They cannot be painted.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Crystal Shards have an unusually high sell value relative to their commonness, so farming them can be one of the most effective ways of making money throughout Hardmode. A full stack is worth 15984.
- With Pixie Dust (otherwise worth less than 1/stack) available, crafting and selling Greater Healing Potions multiplies the payoff on a few crystals to 30/crystal. The Alchemy Table's bonus raises that further, to about 45/crystal. A stack of 99 Pixie Dust with 33 crystals (and 100 sand for bottles), crafted at the Alchemy Table, yields about 1485, a 137% increase over selling the ingredients.
- Crystal Shards can be farmed with an appropriate layout. See Guide:Farming Resources § Crystal Shards for details.
- Since they emit a glow, getting rid of light sources makes it easier to spot them.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 1.2: Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now gives off light in retro and white color mode.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 126.96.36.199: No longer obtainable pre-Hardmode, as Arch Demons have been removed.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.