Cthulhu was a possible boss. Re-Logic was considering its addition at one point, but he was replaced by Moon Lord. While Cthulhu itself never made an appearance in Terraria, a number of enemies and items include direct and indirect references to Cthulhu.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Eye of Cthulhu||One of the first bosses that will be faced by the player.|
– According to the official game lore, it is one of the organs ripped out from Cthulhu when he was defeated.
|Brain of Cthulhu||The pre-Hardmode boss of The Crimson.|
– According to the official game lore, while the Mechanic has almost finished recreating Cthulhu, his complete restoration would require a brain. The brain in question is the Brain of Cthulhu, one of the vital organs ripped off when he was defeated. Also, the lore claims that only chunks of the brain were ripped out, implying that the Brain of Cthulhu is one of the fragments of the actual unseen brain.
|Skeletron||The pre-Hardmode boss that guards the entrance to the Dungeon.|
– According to the official game lore, Skeletron originally was a part of Cthulhu's skeleton that the Dryads ripped from him.
|Mechanical bosses||The bosses found in Hardmode.|
– According to the official game lore, the Mechanic was forced by the Lunatic Cultist to build simulacrums of Cthulhu's organs, which are the three mechanical bosses found in hardmode, with The Destroyer being the spine, The Twins being the eyes, and Skeletron Prime being part of the skeleton.
|Moon Lord||The final boss in the game. It resembles common depictions of Cthulhu.|
|Servant of Cthulhu||A minion summoned by the Eye of Cthulhu.|
|True Eye of Cthulhu||An invincible enemy summoned by Moon Lord.|
|Ancient Vision||A minion summoned by the Lunatic Cultist. It resembles Cthulhu's head and is also reminiscent of the head of Moon Lord.|
|Shield of Cthulhu||An Expert Mode-exclusive item dropped by the Eye of Cthulhu.|
|The Fish of Cthulhu||A quest item for the Angler. It resembles a Demon Eye.|
|The Eye of Cthulhu||A post-Plantera yoyo dropped by Mothron during a Solar Eclipse, referencing the namesake boss.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- – According to the official game lore, before the events of the game, Cthulhu did exist in the world and almost destroyed it, before an ancient race of Dryads defeated him at the cost of almost their entire race. Cthulhu was not killed, but was crippled when a few organs were ripped from him. After that, he retreats to the Moon and plans for another attack. (Which contributes to proving his relevancy with Moon Lord.)
- The Lunatic Cultist plans on restoring Cthulhu and has forced the Mechanic to forge mechanical organs of Cthulhu. However, since she has never completed the mechanical brain, the restored Cthulhu cannot function, and thus, he never appeared again.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the concept art, he is missing one of his eyes, presumably because the missing eye became the Eye of Cthulhu boss.