We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
|AI Type||Lunatic Devote AI|
|Internal NPC ID: 438|
|Desktop-Only Content: This information applies only to the desktop version of Terraria.|
- Not to be confused with Lunatic Cultist.
A Cultist is a Hardmode, post-Golem enemy that spawns along with a Mysterious Tablet at the entrance to the Dungeon after Golem has been defeated. Four Cultists will appear there: two Cultist Archers and two Lunatic Devotes. Defeating all four of the Cultists causes the Lunatic Cultist boss to spawn instantly at their location, destroying the Mysterious Tablet in the process. Defeating the Lunatic Cultist then initiates the Lunar Events.
Until one of the Cultists is attacked, they are passive and deal no contact damage, and players can walk through them freely without activating them. Attacking any of the four will awaken the Archers, who will begin to fire Wooden Arrows using bows and will deal contact damage. Lunatic Devotes are always passive and never deal contact damage.
All four Cultists respawn and reset their location and initial passive state after one in-game day, if the Lunatic Cultist was not summoned, if the player runs away or dies during the fight, when all 4 Celestial Towers are destroyed, or when the world is closed and restarted. Restarting the world can be the fastest option to reset them to their original state.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Minions will not attempt to attack Cultists who are still in their passive state, although Minions that deal contact damage may incidentally damage Cultists. However, Sharknados might target passive cultists with a ranged attack if you come too close.
- The Mechanical Cart's lasers will sometimes target passive cultists. If you use the Mechanical Cart and tracks as a way to reach the Dungeon quickly, consider placing the end of the track away from the Dungeon's entrance.
- If you modified the Dungeon, the Cultists can still spawn. There just needs to be enough room around the Old Man's spawn point.
- Player placed walls will prevent Cultists from spawning.
- The Cultists will not spawn if other bosses or events are happening.
- They will not spawn during the Lunar Events.
- If one of the cultists is killed in one hit (with, for example, the sniper rifle and shroomite armor), the other cultists will remain passive and the music won't change. The Lunatic Cultist will still spawn when you kill all Cultists, however.
- If the Lunatic Devotes are killed and Cultist archers are lured away and killed far away, the lunatic cultist won't spawn. The cultists won't respawn either. (Needs more testing)
- For the cultists to spawn at the entrance to a dungeon, the only requirements are that the bottom of the dungeon entrance remains in place (or has been replaced with the same dimensions), and that the roof is at a minimum of 10 blocks above the floor and a maximum of 13 blocks above. Verify
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Attacking any of the Cultists will cause the Devotes' animation to speed up and the music will change to the Golem theme. This is a relatively easy way to get the Music Box for the boss music, since you don't actually have to fight a boss for it.
- The Cultists will not spawn if you are already in the dungeon waiting. (Either on the top or inside)
- As they won't move on their own and they are insensitive to knockback, the only way to move a Devote is by destroying the blocks under their feet or using a hoik.
- A White Cultist Archer character appears in the game files, but never actually spawns. The source code also contains statistics for the following characters, although no graphics are included for them, and they similarly never spawn: Blue Cultist Caster, Blue Cultist Fighter, White Cultist Caster, and White Cultist Fighter. Banners (along with Banner graphics) are included for these, but are currently unobtainable. Out of these, only the White Cultist Archer can be spawned, and only with hacks or mods. Aside from appearance, the White Cultist Archer is completely identical to the Blue Cultist Archer.
- The cultist archers will not despawn, so they may follow the player large distances if there is a clear path.
- Despite the Archers using what appears to be a Wooden Bow with Wooden Arrows, which will deal 9 base damage when used by a player, their ranged attack will deal 80 damage in normal mode and 160 in expert.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Cultist clothes, clothes that resemble the cultists, sold by the Clothier.
- Lunatic Cultist, the boss summoned after the Cultists' deaths.
History[edit | edit source]
- No longer respawn while the final boss is spawning.
- Can no longer spawn during important events like boss fights, invasions etc.
- Fixed cultists sinking into the floor in multiplayer rarely.
- 220.127.116.11: Introduced.