Day and night cycle
You should stay indoors at night. It is very dangerous to be wandering around in the dark.
- Day begins at 4:30 a.m., while night begins at 7:30 p.m.
- Day and Night each have their own respective theme music in some surface biomes.
- Some surface enemies only spawn at night (see Enemies below).
- Some NPCs sell unique items at night, like the Arms Dealer, who sells Illegal Gun Parts at night.
Note that the sun in Terraria rises at the left of the map, even though the left is referred to in-game as "West" (the same for right/East), e.g. when a Goblin Army, Frost Legion, or Pirate Invasion begins approaching.
Time[edit | edit source]
|4:30 a.m.||7:30 p.m.|
- All newly-created worlds begin at 8:15 a.m.
- One minute of in-game time lasts one second of real-world time, meaning one hour in-game lasts one minute real-world. One Terraria day therefore lasts 15 real-world minutes, and night lasts 9 real-world minutes.
- In-game time can be displayed with the following:
- Any placed Grandfather Clock will display the current hour for all players within ~80 tiles horizontal and ~50 tiles vertical of the clock. Using the ⚷ Open / Activate key on it displays the exact time in a status message.
- On Desktop, Console, and Old-gen console, having a Watch, GPS, PDA , or Cell Phone in the player's inventory displays the exact time.
- Time Hair Dye colors the character's hair dependent on the time, providing a rough estimate.
- Using the Enchanted Sundial , time can be sped up to the end of the current cycle (i.e. to 4:30 a.m.) once every seven days.
Time on Mobile[edit | edit source]
The Mobile version features a different day/night cycle that occurs at a dynamic rate. In order to accommodate the shorter play times that mobile game sessions tend to entail, day and night last for shorter overall periods, and boss or event fights can cause the day or night period to extend in order to offer players more time to complete them. However, once Hardmode begins, the day and night cycle will progress at the same speed as in other versions.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
At the surface layer, unique enemies spawn at night. Nocturnal enemies will run or fly away when the day starts.
Additionally, Eye of Cthulhu, Skeletron, The Twins, The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime and Ocram can only be summoned at night. In contrast, King Slime can only spawn randomly during the day, though it can be summoned with the Slime Crown at any time.
The following enemies only spawn during the night:
Naturally, all enemies exclusive to a Blood Moon also only spawn at night.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the title screen, the sun or moon can be dragged around.
- Before formal server software was released for Terraria, and while it was necessary to open a second window of Terraria to host a server, dragging the sun or moon around would directly change the time of day within the server.
- While wearing sunglasses, the sun appears to be wearing them as well. Un-equipping the sunglasses will cause it to revert back. This has no functional effect.
- On the Mobile version, the sun still has its old sprite.
- Internally, the time counter is reset to zero at both dawn and dusk. During daytime, the counter is allowed to go up to 54000, and during nighttime it is only allowed to go up to 32400.
- Despite the sun and moon both always being on opposite sides of the sky, there are still moon phases (there can be a new moon even though the moon is not visible).
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2:
- The sun is now brighter.
- Midnight is now darker.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.