The Daybreak being used on a Target Dummy
. Each spear that sticks into the dummy increases the debuff's effect.
The Daybreak is a Hardmode, endgame melee weapon crafted from Solar Fragments obtained from the Lunar Events. It auto-fires projectiles that cost no mana or ammunition. It can be considered a much more powerful non-consuming Bone Javelin, as its projectiles are affected by gravity, and stick to enemies to inflict damage over time. Up to 8 projectiles can stick to an enemy at once, with each dealing 25 damage per quarter-second (8 spears x 25 damage = 200 max base spear damage per quarter-second = 800 max spear DPS (Godly modifier adds another 8 x 173 = 1384 DPS)). The spears also emit a good amount of light, making exploration and finding enemies in the dark much easier.
Its best Modifier is Godly.
- Attack speed increases the velocity of the Daybreak's spears rather than its fire rate, in a similar fashion to the Vampire Knives.
- The Daybreak projectile itself is made up of multiple differently sized daybreak sprites strung together.
- The Daybreak is highly useful against the Moon Lord. The DoT (Damage over time), along with the fact that it’s meant for single targets, can kill him very fast. Along with some melee enhancing accessories, you can more focus on dodging after throwing a few Daybreaks in his eyes. This can allow constant damage.
- The particle effects created from the spear can be used to locate ore and caves through walls.
- The Daybreak can only have eight spears in an enemy at one time. Trying to throw more will despawn the earliest ones that were stuck in that enemy.
- The Solar Eruption, a weapon also crafted from Solar Fragments, is much better for multiple targets.
- It's important to note that the DoT (Damage over time) damage is not influenced by damage buffs of any kind. As this makes up the majority of the weapon's damage, this makes the Daybreak nearly as good in the hands of any class, not just melee.
- This weapon can be used as a way to defeat the Moon Lord's Core, since it won't close like the rest of the body parts and therefore can be an easy target if you fly up and down, firing at the core.
- The debuff tooltip misspells "Incinerated" as "Incenerated".
- You can still give it the Unreal Modifier with commands, which will increase its Velocity.
- The Daybroken debuff that the daybreak and the Solar Eruption inflict into enemies, actually doesn’t have its own debuff symbol as this debuff currently cannot be inflicted onto players. It uses the stardust dragons buff symbol instead.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Fixed Daybroken debuff spreading to friendly NPCs, killing them.