Deadly Sphere Staff
|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||36 Very Slow|
|Buff tooltip||The Deadly Sphere will fight for you|
- Deadly Sphere
The Deadly Sphere Staff is a Hardmode, post-Plantera summoning weapon that summons a Deadly Sphere minion. Like other minions, the summoned Deadly Sphere is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, or cancels the buff. It attacks by charging at enemies to inflict contact damage. It cannot move through blocks. The Deadly Sphere Staff has a 2.5% / 3.75% (1/40 / 3/80) chance to drop from Deadly Spheres during a Solar Eclipse.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Deadly Sphere Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Summoned Deadly Sphere minions appear to have a shorter-than-average lock-on range (about 40 tiles) compared to many other summoned minions that can detect enemies off-screen.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Deadly Sphere has several visual forms it periodically rotates between after having attacked three times. This has no functional effect.
- The staff may appear or be reforged with the Deadly modifier, resulting in the name "Deadly Deadly Sphere Staff". A similar trick can be done with the Lucky Horseshoe.
- Like the enemy that drops it, this item is a reference to the 1979 American science fantasy horror film Phantasm.
- One of the designs for the Deadly Sphere resembles a TIE Advanced, a fictional starfighter in the American epic space-opera media franchise Star Wars. However, it is actually a visual reference to a variant of the sphere seen in the 1988 American science fantasy action-horror film Phantasm II, the sequel to Phantasm.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Introduced.