- Internal NPC ID: 38
The Demolitionist is an NPC vendor that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
If the Demolitionist is killed, he will only respawn if the above conditions are met again. This means an explosive must be placed in the player's inventory again. Having explosives stored in chests or other containers will not fulfill the requirement.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|After defeating Plantera and a Pirate Invasion. |
Before defeating Plantera, at night.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Demolitionist may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Explosives are da' bomb these days. Buy some now!"
- "It's a good day to die!"
- "I wonder what happens if I... (BOOM!)... Oh, sorry, did you need that leg?"
- "Dynamite, my own special cure-all for what ails ya."
- "Check out my goods; they have explosive prices!"
- "Trying to get past that ebonrock, eh? Why not introduce it to one of these explosives!"
When Dryad is present:
- "Why purify the world when you can just blow it up?"
When Nurse is present:
- "I'm sure <name of Nurse> will help if you accidentally lose a limb to these."
When Arms Dealer is present:
- "Even <name of Arms Dealer> wants what I'm selling!"
- "Would you rather have a bullet hole or a grenade hole? That's what I thought."
Only at night:
- "If you throw this one in the bathtub and close all the windows, it'll clear your sinuses and pop your ears!"
- "Wanna play Fuse Chicken?"
- "Hey, could you sign this Griefing Waiver?"
- "NO SMOKING IN HERE!!"
Only during a Blood Moon:
- "Hey, have you seen a clown around?"
- "There was a bomb sitting right here, and now I can't seem to find it..."
- "I've got something for them zombies alright!"
During a Party :
- "You might want to be careful today. Us dwarves tend to have pretty explosive parties."
After defeating Tier 1 of the Old One's Army :
- "I don't see why we can't just blow up those portals."
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Demolitionist's weapons – Grenades – are surprisingly powerful, considering how early-on he may spawn in the game. Thus, he can be a great help during Blood Moons.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Demolitionist's appearance seems to be based on dwarves from many games, films, and works of literature. He is significantly shorter than other NPCs and has a beard. Furthermore, his mining helmet, lantern, and the fact that he sells explosives fits the trope of dwarves preferring underground environments. This is further proved by his Party-exclusive quote. Several of his names are also references to dwarf characters in fiction:
- Beldin is from the five-book fantasy epic The Belgariad.
- Durim is a corruption of Durin, a dwarven king mentioned in the books of English writer J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Fikod and Urist are generic dwarven names from the indie video game Dwarf Fortress.
- Gimli is from the epic high-fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings.
- Morthal is a name of a city originally constructed by dwarves in the action role-playing video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- Tordak (or Tordek) is a generic dwarf name in the fantasy tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons.
- The Demolitionist used to have the sprite for the Arms Dealer in the pre-release version.
- He is depicted in a painting called "American Explosive".
- In one of his quotes, he calls Ebonstone "ebonrock".
- His quote "Wanna play Fuse Chicken?" is a reference to the special of MacBrover, one of the playable characters in the side-scrolling run-and-gun platform video game Broforce.Verify
- The quote "Hey, could you sign this Griefing Waiver?" is referring to the term "griefing" used in video games, the act of ruining a player's game with actions such as destroying buildings.
- His Blood Moon quotes indirectly reference the fact that Clowns carry explosives.
- He is most likely of American origin, as he is decipted in a painting called "American Explosive".
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Buying a landmine requirement reduced from defeating Golem and at least one Pirate Invasion to defeating Plantera and at least one Pirate Invasion.
- Desktop 1.2: Now sells explosive powder and landmines.
- Desktop 1.1: Now has a random name given to him on spawn. His death will be reported with this name. Also, other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- Desktop 1.0.3: Now triggered to arrive when the players have Sticky Bombs or Grenades in their inventory.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.