The Demon Eye is a common flying enemy that appears on most Surface biomes during the night. It has a slow turn rate, follows the player, and bounces off blocks. Its trajectory is changed when hit with a weapon that causes knockback.
Variants[edit | edit source]
There are eight variants of the Demon Eye, all of which have the same drops and drop chances.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Like Zombies, Demon Eyes sometimes spawn as either larger or smaller than normal; larger demon eyes have more health, damage, defense, and knockback resistance, while smaller demon eyes are faster and harder to hit.
- Demon Eyes appear more often during a new moon.
- Although the Dilated Eye variant appears to have a large, black pupil, its drop rate for Black Lenses are not guaranteed nor raised.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Demon Eyes attempt to fly straight towards the player. This allows for relatively easy escape by hiding behind a wall.
- Due to the fact they cannot enter water, they cannot reach you if you are completely submerged. However, you can still hit them with your broadsword or any ranged weapon.
- New players may find that spear-type weapons are quite effective against these.
- It is also recommended to use ranged weapons, such as the Wooden Bow, when dealing with Demon Eyes, as they spend much of their time out of reach. The best time to attack it is when it is turning, as a successful hit will knock it back and interrupt its flight pattern, allowing you to get in more shots before it reaches you.
- If you swing in a different direction each time with your sword, you can effectively trap Demon Eyes with knockback in your sword's range, as the sword will knock it in the way you are facing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Eye of Cthulhu, Servant of Cthulhu and Wandering Eye are modeled after this creature.
- The Cataract Eye takes reference to the real-life eye condition known as cataracts both in sprite and name, hence the cloudy lens.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Costumed Demon Eyes will now correctly leave at night.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Several new variants for the Demon Eye introduced.
- Desktop 1.0.5: May no longer enter water without making a splash noise.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.