The Demon Eye is a common flying enemy that appears on most Surface biomes during the night. It has a slow turn rate, follows the player, and bounces off blocks. Its trajectory is changed when hit with a weapon that causes knockback.
Variants[edit | edit source]
There are fourteen variants of the Demon Eye, all of which have the same drops and drop chances.
3 values: Pre-Hardmode › Hardmode › Post-Plantera
|NPC ID||Type||Health||Damage||Defense||KB Resist||Coins|
|2||Demon Eye||60/120›264/180›396||18/36›64/54›96||2/2›4||20%/28%/36%||75Pre-Hardmode: 187Hardmode: 3|
|-43||Demon Eye(Variant 2)||69/138›303/206›455||20/41›73/62›110||2/2›4||32%/39%/46%||86Pre-Hardmode: 215Hardmode: 345|
|190||Cataract Eye||65/130›286/195›429||18/36›64/54›96||4/4›8||30%/37%/44%||75Pre-Hardmode: 187Hardmode: 3|
|-38||Cataract Eye(Variant 2)||74/149›328/224›493||20/41›73/62›110||4/4›9||41%/46%/52%||86Pre-Hardmode: 215Hardmode: 345|
|191||Sleepy Eye||60/120›264›396/180›396›594||16/32›56›86/48›84›129||2/2›4›6||15%/24%/32%||75Pre-Hardmode: 187Hardmode: 3Post-Plantera: 450|
|-39||Sleepy Eye(Variant 2)||66/132›290›435/198›435›653||17/35›61›94/52›92›141||2/2›4›6||24%/31%/39%||82Pre-Hardmode: 25Hardmode: 330Post-Plantera: 495|
|192||Dilated Eye||50/100›220›330/150›330›495||18/36›64›96/54›96›144||2/2›4›6||20%/28%/36%||75Pre-Hardmode: 187Hardmode: 3Post-Plantera: 450|
|-40||Dialated Eye(Variant 2)||45/90›198›297/135›297›445||16/32›57›86/48›86›129||1/1›3›5||12%/21%/30%||67Pre-Hardmode: 168Hardmode: 270Post-Plantera: 45|
|193||Green Eye||60/120›264/180›396||20/40›72/60›108||0||20%/28%/36%||75Pre-Hardmode: 187Hardmode: 3|
|-41||Green Eye(Variant 2)||51/102›224/153›336||17/34›61/51›91||0||8%/17%/26%||63Pre-Hardmode: 158Hardmode: 255|
|194||Purple Eye||60/120›264›396/180›396›594||14/28›50›74/42›75›111||4/4›8›12||20%/28%/36%||75Pre-Hardmode: 187Hardmode: 3Post-Plantera: 450|
|-42||Purple Eye(Variant 2)||66/132›290›435/198›435›653||15/30›55›81/46›82›122||4/4›8›13||28%/35%/42%||82Pre-Hardmode: 25Hardmode: 330Post-Plantera: 495|
|317||Owl Demon Eye(Halloween Variant 1)||75/150›330/225›495||16/32›56/48›84||6/6›12||30%/37%/44%||1Pre-Hardmode: 250Hardmode: 4|
|318||Spaceship Demon Eye(Halloween Variant 2)||60/120›264/180›396||20/40›72/60›108||4/4›8||35%/42%/48%||1Pre-Hardmode: 250Hardmode: 4|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Like Zombies, Demon Eyes sometimes spawn as either larger or smaller than normal; larger Demon Eyes have more health, damage, defense, and knockback resistance, while smaller Demon Eyes are faster and harder to hit.
- Demon Eyes appear more often during a new moon.
- Although the Dilated Eye variant appears to have a large, black pupil, its drop rate for Black Lenses are not guaranteed nor raised.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Demon Eyes attempt to fly straight towards the player. This allows for relatively easy escape by hiding behind a wall.
- Due to the fact they cannot enter water, they cannot reach the player if they are completely submerged. However, they can still hit them with their broadsword or any ranged weapon.
- New players may find that spear-type weapons are quite effective against these enemies.
- It is also recommended to use ranged weapons, such as the Wooden Bow, when dealing with Demon Eyes, as they spend much of their time out of reach. The best time to attack it is when the Demon Eye is turning, as a successful hit will knock it back and interrupt its flight pattern, allowing the player to get in more shots before it reaches them.
- If the player swings in a different direction each time with their sword, they can effectively trap a Demon Eye with knockback in their sword's range, as the sword will knock it in the way the player is facing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Eye of Cthulhu, Servant of Cthulhu, and Wandering Eye are modeled after this enemy.
- The Cataract Eye takes reference to the real-life eye condition known as cataracts both in sprite and name, hence the cloudy lens.
- The Sleepy Eye resembles the Monoeyes from the Kid Icarus series.
- A sprite based off the Demon Eye served as the loading icon of the Mobile version after Mobile 1.2.12715's release and before Mobile 18.104.22.168's release.
- Demon Eyes appear in the video game Dungeon Defenders 2 as enemies.
- According to the Bestiary, Demon Eyes can become erratic during a Blood Moon and twist together into a cluster of blood and eyeballs, creating a Drippler.
- Demon Eyes: "That suspicious feeling of being watched may very well come true in the dark of night, when Cthulhu's minions roam the skies."
- Halloween Demon Eyes: "No one knows who dressed these demon eyes up in cute costumes, but the whole process hasn't made them any friendlier."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed a bug where many of the Demon Eye variants were unable to descend through platforms.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Costumed Demon Eyes will now correctly leave at night.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Several new variants for the Demon Eye introduced.
- Desktop 1.0.5: May no longer enter water without making a splash noise.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.