The Desert is a sandy biome. Each map will generally contain at least two Desert areas. The main Desert, present in every world, will be larger and will house a large pit to the Underground Desert. Pyramids can rarely appear in Desert biomes. Pools of water may rarely appear in the desert, which take on a sandy yellow color.
An area is considered a Desert biome if there at least 1500 Sand Blocks, causing the water and background to change, but Desert plants and enemies can spawn on even a single block of sand. Deserts are overridden by most other biomes, including the Ocean. Rain will occur in Deserts just as in any other surface biome. On the Desktop version and Console version of Terraria, Sandstorms may also occur periodically, which cause special enemies to spawn as well as pushing the player according to the direction of the wind.
During Hardmode, the increased spread of the Corruption/Crimson and Hallow is likely to eventually convert any normal Deserts. Corruption/Crimson Deserts spawned upon world creation may also be turned into Hallow ones if they are inside the world part that is instantly converted at the beginning of Hardmode. All variations will be similar to their main biomes (e.g. The Corruption or The Hallow): the music theme is the same, the enemies are the same (except for Mummy variants and sandstorm enemies), and the background is just slightly different. The sand will be replaced by ebonsand, crimsand, or pearlsand. Although their color will change, cacti still drop Cactus when cut, and Waterleaf are also able to grow in a Hallowed Desert.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Desert is the only biome not to contain any special fishing catches.
- According to the Bestiary entry for the Sand Shark, a saltwater river ran through the desert in ancient times.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Oasis biome now generates.
- Added Blood Mummy.
- Now generate less commonly and larger with more natural dunes.
- Banana Split now drops from Antlions, Antlion Chargers and Antlion Swarmers.
- Desert Pylon is now sold by any Happy NPC Shop.
- Coconuts and Bananas now drop from Shaking Palm Trees outside of Oasis.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Fixed a bug where Crimsand deserts were not making the water show up red.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Water in desert is now yellow.
- Now has its own specific music.
- Desktop 1.1:
- Cacti no longer damage the player.
- Now has own specific background.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Cacti no longer cause knockback when damaging players and no longer destroy blocks above when growing.
- Desert spawn slightly farther away from initial spawn point.
- Desktop 1.0.2: Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location. This removes the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.