Biome Chests are Hardmode Chests found within the Dungeon. Each contains one specific rare, powerful weapon, in addition to other miscellaneous items. While Biome Chests are placed during world creation, they are initially locked and can only be opened with an appropriate Biome Key, which will only become available in Hardmode.
Only five / four Biome Chests (one of each type) will spawn in a particular world. Each represents a biome found in the current world. There are six / five types of Biome Chests in total, though a world will only contain one evil biome chest, a Crimson or Corruption variant, depending on which of those biomes the world contains.
In order to open a Biome Chest, the following steps are required to take:
- Defeat Plantera for the first time to lift the curse from Biome Keys, allowing them to be used. As long as Plantera has not been killed, Biome Keys display the tooltip "It has been cursed by a powerful Jungle creature".
- Obtain the appropriate Biome Key by killing enemies within their respective biome. On Old-gen console and , the keys are crafted using Key Molds dropped by these enemies.
- Return to the Dungeon and find the appropriate Chest for the key that was obtained.
Types[edit | edit source]
Internal Item ID: 1528
|Jungle Key||Piranha Gun|
Internal Item ID: 1529
|Corruption Key||Scourge of the Corruptor|
Internal Item ID: 1530
|Crimson Key||Vampire Knives|
Internal Item ID: 1531
|Hallowed Key||Rainbow Gun|
Internal Item ID: 1532
|Frozen Key||Staff of the Frost Hydra|
Internal Item ID: 4712
|Desert Key||Desert Tiger Staff|
The chests also contain common items depending on the height they were found:
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
|Trapped Corruption Chest||Heavy Work Bench|
|Trapped Crimson Chest|
|Trapped Desert Chest|
|Trapped Hallowed Chest|
|Trapped Ice Chest|
|Trapped Jungle Chest|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As the Desert Chest was added in 126.96.36.199, worlds generated prior to this will contain only four Biome Chests.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Biome Key drops are extraordinarily rare, with a 1/2500 (0.04%) drop rate. It is likely that thousands of enemies have to be defeated to see one drop. With the right equipment and some time, a Biome Key farm can be set up in the biome to get there sooner.
- It is possible to get both the Corruption Chest and Crimson Chest if the player creates their world with the seed 05162020 which contains both evil biomes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The weapons found in each Chest are based off of the four classes. The Vampire Knives and Scourge of the Corruptor are melee, Piranha Gun is ranged, Rainbow Gun is magic, and Staff of the Frost Hydra and Desert Tiger Staff are summoning.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Sprites updated.
- Desert Chest introduced.
- Renamed "Frozen Chest" to "Ice Chest".
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Biome keys are now dropped instead of key molds. Biome Chests can only be opened after Plantera has been defeated.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Biome keys are now crafted with rare Hardmode drops.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.