The Drax is a Hardmode ( ) / pre-Hardmode (, see notes) tool that is the alternative to the Pickaxe Axe. Appearances and sounds aside, the two tools are functionally identical, but the Pickaxe Axe is half a second faster than the Drax, just like every Hardmode drill/pickaxe. Unlike most drills, Drax has a minimal amount of knockback.
It can be crafted after killing the three Mechanical Bosses and combining their souls with Hallowed Bars.
Like the Pickaxe Axe, its power is sufficient to mine any block except Lihzahrd Bricks.
Its best Modifier is Godly.
|| Drax Attax • "Craft a drax or pickaxe axe using hallowed bars, and the souls of the three mechanical bosses."
| Craft your first Drax or Pickaxe Axe.
- Due to its rapid attack speed, high damage and low knockback, it can serve as a melee weapon for low-end close-range targets.
- The Drax can be found in one Shadow Chests in a world. Because of this, the player has a significant mining advantage, as it can mine all pre-Plantera blocks, at which point the Picksaw is needed. It makes killing Mechanical Bosses much easier, as the player will have access to Chlorophyte weapons and armor.
- "Drax" is a portmanteau of the words drill and axe, because it can perform the actions of both.
- It was originally called the Hamdrax, a portmanteau of the words hammer, drill and axe, and had 85% hammer power. Its hammer ability was removed in 1.2 when hammers were given the ability to create slopes and half-blocks, which would conflict with its mining functionality. In addition, players often complained that they would accidentally remove background walls when building using the Hamdrax. As of version 1.2, with the exception of the Drill Containment Unit, no item combines the abilities of a hammer and a pickaxe, presumably for these very reasons.
- The original tooltip was “Not to be confused with a hamsaw.” Although the Hamsaw (presumably a portmanteau of the words Hammer and Chainsaw) was never added to the game, the Picksaw referenced in the current tooltip was added in 1.2.