- Not to be confused with Drill Containment Unit.
Drills are a type of Hardmode tools and an alternative to pickaxes. A Cobalt Drill/Palladium Drill is required to mine Mythril Ore/Orichalcum Ore, and a Mythril Drill/Orichalcum Drill is required to mine Adamantite Ore/Titanium Ore.
Drills have shorter range than pickaxes, however they mine out blocks much faster. Note that these only account for their base use speed, and do not account for melee speed modifiers or the like.
Types[edit | edit source]
Internal Item ID: 385
Internal Item ID: 1189
Internal Item ID: 386
Internal Item ID: 1196
Internal Item ID: 388
Internal Item ID: 1203
Internal Item ID: 1231
Internal Item ID: 579
Internal Item ID: 2774
Internal Item ID: 2779
|Solar Flare Drill
Internal Item ID: 2784
Internal Item ID: 3464
Internal Item ID: 2798
Effectiveness[edit | edit source]
Candy Cane Block
Green Candy Cane Block
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Console version and Mobile version only: Appearance, sound, and possible modifiers aside, drills are functionally identical to their pickaxe counterpart. The Orichalcum Drill is the exception from this rule, being significantly slower than the Orichalcum Pickaxe.
- Unlike a pickaxe, whose animation (swinging around the player) will be the same no matter where the player "aims" it, a drill will follow the cursor. Although more realistic, this detail may cause digging to become slightly harder because the cursor is nearly always obscured by the drill head.
- If a drill is used for a minute without stopping, it will stop working and need to be restarted by clicking/pressing the button again. This is because drills are actually long-lasting channel projectiles when used, similar to the Magic Missile.
- Drills may mine slightly slower than pickaxes because they are not affected by melee-speed modifiers. Players who want to maximize mining speed should avoid using drills, because the benefits provided by melee speed enhancements apply only to pickaxes.
- However, clicking "resets" the digging process, so clicking rapidly on a stronger block (such as Adamantite) can mine far quicker than a pickaxe with no modifiers, albeit with a little more effort.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- All drills and chainsaws now dig faster than their non-mechanical counterparts, but have shorter range.
- Additionally, optimized digging loadouts still perform better on pickaxes/axes, but drills and chainsaws will be faster on non-optimized loadouts.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Drills are no longer materials.
- Each drill now has a pickaxe equivalent, for those who don't like drills.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.