Drill Containment Unit
|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Summons a rideable Drill mount|
The Drill Containment Unit (often called DCU) is a late-game post-Moon Lord mount that summons a Drill Mount, a rideable, flying vehicle that mines blocks extremely fast via lasers. It is currently the fastest controllable way to mine. It can fly and hover indefinitely, and has a mining range of 15 tiles.
- Unlike other mounts, players cannot use any tools or weapons while riding the Drill Mount.
- Unlike other mining tools, the Drill Mount does not inflict damage on enemies. It also cannot mine blocks behind other blocks, rather always drilling tunnels through all blocks directly ahead of the player.
The Drill Mount flies at 41 mph vertically, 31 mph horizontally, and 51 mph diagonally. It mines all mineable blocks, including furniture and background objects, Trees, Lihzahrd Bricks, Altars (Hardmode), and Shadow Orbs / Crimson Hearts, among others. Background Walls remain intact.
Crafting the Drill Containment Unit requires a total of 160 Luminite (requires defeating Moon Lord at least twice), 720 Chlorophyte Ore, 600 Glowing Mushrooms, 20 Ectoplasm, 120 each of Hellstone and Meteorite ores, and 40 Obsidian. This also requires four different crafting stations: A Hardmode Forge for the Chlorophyte and Spectre Bars, an Autohammer for the Shroomite Bars, an Ancient Manipulator for the Luminite Bars, and a Hardmode Anvil for the Drill Containment Unit itself.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Drill Mount vs. Shroomite Digging Claw[edit | edit source]
Because the Drill Mount also slopes blocks as it mines, the number of blocks that are mined will vary.
The table below assumes that five of its lasers are mining, and the sixth laser is sloping. If four lasers are mining, it can mine 60 Dirt Blocks per second.
|Drill Mount||Shroomite Digging Claw|
|Base Tool Speed||4||4|
|Bonus from the "Light" tool prefix|
|Bonuses from buffs and items (70% cap)|
|Moon Stone, Sun Stone,||N/A||15%|
|Slice of Cake||N/A||20%|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Drill Mount leaves surrounding blocks hammered into slopes.
- Interestingly, this does not work in multiplayer even though it appears to client-side
- Due to the Drill Mount's ability to destroy Altars, if brought to a pre-hardmode world, trying to mine them or the blocks underneath them will result in the usual health penalty per hit.
- Bonuses that increase mining speed do not affect the mining speed of the Drill Mount.
- Though not stated, the Drill Mount has a Pickaxe Power of 210%, identical to that of the Picksaw.
- Using Dyes will change the color of both the Drill and the lasers fired from it.
- The Drill Mount mines for a minute before the lasers turn off and you have to re-click.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is recommended to hold a light source like a glowstick or torch while mining, as this will improve visibility.
- Minions can be in effect while on a Drill Mount, so summon them before mounting, since most other means of defense against enemies will be unavailable.
- A Yoyo, Chainsaw or Drill can be used when riding the Drill Mount. This works when the item is already in use and the player activates the mount afterward. However, it is purposeless as the mount will be unable to mine blocks this way. In most cases, getting off the mount is a better option.
- As the DCU can operate underwater, you can use a Breathing Reed when using the drill mount, although it will appear as if it was on your head.
- The Neptune's Shell or its upgrades are even better because the user can stay in the water indefinitely. However, the DCU does not benefit from the movement speed of the Merfolk Buff.
- It is possible to "fight" enemies with the bonus effects of Turtle/Solar Flare armor or with the Thorns buff. Accessories like the Star Cloak, Star Veil, Paladin's Shield, Cobalt Shield and Band of Regeneration improve these effects. However, Minions are more effective.
- Because the Drill Containment Unit requires a total of 720 Chlorophyte Ore, farming Chlorophyte Ore early in Hardmode is important.
- Because of the automatic sloping it can make it recommended to use for underground terraforming, or making caves in maps
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It has the highest monetary value of materials of any craftable item in the game, pricing at
1000000*1 850000*85 6000*60 from the bars or 1000000*1 40000*4 2000*20 from the base materials. Note that Hellstone and Obsidian don't have any monetary value.
- Despite this, it still only sells for
50000*5, like all mounts.
- Despite this, it still only sells for
- The Drill Mount has the longest digging range of any digging tool, matched only by the Laser Drill.
- The 1.3 trailer showed that a player was using a Laser Machinegun at 1:28 while riding in the Drill Mount, which is no longer possible in 1.3's official release.
- This is the only mount that is crafted.
- There is an unused sprite in the game files titled "Mount_Drill.png" that bears a strong resemblance to the DCU. The current Buff sprite of the DCU resembles this unused mount, and so it is thought to be a beta version of the DCU itself.
- According to Solaris here, the original concept was to have the unit chop through the land and slope it as you dug through. However, it was very buggy and the concept was replaced by a flying mount.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Now unable to mine Demon Altars before Hardmode.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206: Introduced.