Drill Containment Unit
Drill Containment Unit
|Use time||19 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Summons a rideable drill mount|
|Grants Buff||Drill Mount|
|Buff tooltip||Riding in a flying drill|
|Internal Item ID: 2768|
|Internal Buff ID: 142|
|Internal Mount ID: 8|
|Desktop/Console-Only Content: This information applies only to the Desktop and Console versions of Terraria.|
The Drill Containment Unit (often called DCU) is a late-game post-Moon Lord mount that summons a Drill Mount, a rideable, flying vehicle that mines blocks extremely fast via lasers. It is currently the fastest controllable way to mine. It can fly and hover indefinitely, and has a mining range of 15 tiles.
- Unlike other mounts, players cannot use any tools or weapons while riding the Drill Mount.
- Unlike other mining tools, the Drill Mount does not inflict damage on enemies. It also cannot mine blocks behind other blocks, rather always drilling tunnels through all blocks directly ahead of the player.
The Drill Mount flies at 41 mph vertically, 31 mph horizontally, and 51 mph diagonally. It mines all mineable blocks, including furniture and background objects, Trees, Lihzahrd Bricks, Altars (Hardmode), and Shadow Orbs / Crimson Hearts, among others. Walls remain intact.
Crafting the Drill Containment Unit requires a total of 160 Luminite (requires defeating Moon Lord at least twice), 720 Chlorophyte Ore, 600 Glowing Mushrooms, 20 Ectoplasm, 120 each of Hellstone and Meteorite ores, and 40 Obsidian. This also requires four different crafting stations: A Hardmode Forge for the Chlorophyte and Spectre Bars, an Autohammer for the Shroomite, an Ancient Manipulator for the Luminite, and a Hardmode Anvil for the DCU itself. .
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Drill Mount vs. Shroomite Digging Claw[edit | edit source]
Because the Drill Mount also slopes blocks as it mines, the number of blocks that are mined will vary.
The table below assumes that five of its lasers are mining, and the sixth laser is sloping. If four lasers are mining, it can mine 60 dirt blocks/second.
|Drill Mount||Shroomite Digging Claw|
|Base Tool Speed||4||4|
|Bonus from the "Light" tool prefix|
|Bonuses from buffs and items (70% cap)|
|Moon Stone or Sun Stone||N/A||15%|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Drill Mount leaves surrounding blocks hammered into slopes.
- Due to the Drill Mount's ability to destroy Altars, if brought to a pre-hardmode world, trying to mine them or the blocks underneath them will result in the usual health penalty per hit.
- Bonuses that increase mining speed do not affect the mining speed of the Drill Mount.
- Though not stated, the Drill Mount has a Pickaxe Power of 210%.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is recommended to hold a light source like a glowstick or torch while mining, as this will improve visibility.
- Minions can be in effect while on a Drill Mount, so summon them before mounting, since most other means of defense against enemies will be unavailable.
- A yoyo can be used when riding the Drill Mount. This works when the yoyo is already in use and the player activates the mount afterward. This can be useful for attacking enemies while flying around. However, this does mean you will be unable to mine blocks.
- You can use a Breathing Reed when using the drill mount, although it will appear it is on your head.
- A Drill or a Chainsaw can be used when riding the drill mount. This works when the tool is in use and the player activates the mount afterward. When used with a Butcher's Chainsaw, this can be quite effective. However, you will be unable to mine blocks.
- You can also use Neptune's Shell while you are mining, increasing your speed through water, and eliminating the need for air.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It has the highest monetary value of materials of any craftable item in the game, pricing at 1 platinum, 85 gold and 60 silver from the ingots or 1 platinum, 4 gold and 20 silver from the base materials. (Note that Hellstone and Obsidian don't have any monetary value.)
- Despite this, it still only sells for 5 , like all mounts.
- The Drill Mount has the longest digging range of any digging tool, matched only by the Laser Drill.
- The 1.3 trailer showed that a player was using Laser Machinegun at 1:28 while riding in the Drill Mount, which seems no longer possible in the 1.3's official release.
- This is the only mount that is crafted.
- There is an unused sprite in the game files titled "Mount_Drill.png" that bears a strong resemblance to the DCU. The current Buff sprite of the DCU resembles this unused mount, and so it is thought to be a beta version of the DCU itself.
- According to Solaris , the original concept was to have the unit chop through the land and slope it as you dug through. However, it was very buggy and the concept was replaced by a flying mount.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now unable to mine Demon Altars before Hardmode.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()