| Summons Mount
| Drill Mount
The full range of the Drill Mount.
The Drill Containment Unit (often called DCU) is a late-game post-Moon Lord mount that summons a Drill Mount, a rideable, flying vehicle that mines blocks extremely fast via lasers. It is currently the fastest controllable way to mine. It can fly and hover indefinitely, and has a mining range of 10 tiles.
- Unlike other mounts, players cannot use any tools or weapons while riding the Drill Mount.
- Unlike other mining tools, the Drill Mount does not inflict damage on enemies. It also cannot mine blocks behind other blocks, rather always drilling tunnels through all blocks directly ahead of the player.
The Drill Mount flies at 41 mph vertically, 31 mph horizontally, and 51 mph diagonally. It mines all mineable blocks, including furniture and background objects, Trees, Lihzahrd Bricks, Altars (Hardmode), and Shadow Orbs / Crimson Hearts, among others. Walls remain intact.
Crafting the Drill Containment Unit requires a total of 160 Luminite (requires defeating Moon Lord at least twice), 720 Chlorophyte Ore, 600 Glowing Mushrooms, 20 Ectoplasm, 120 of both Hellstone and Meteorite ores, and 40 Obsidian.
This also requires an Ancient Manipulator, an Autohammer, 50 Titanium ore/50 Adamantite Ore, and a Hellforge for Crafting stations
- The Drill Mount leaves surrounding blocks hammered into slopes.
- Bonuses that increase mining speed do not affect the mining speed of the Drill Mount.
- Though not stated, the Drill Mount has a Pickaxe Power of 210%.
- It is unclear why the sell value of the mount is so low compared to its raw materials.
- It is recommended to hold a light source like a glowstick or torch while mining, as this will improve visibility.
Because the Drill Mount also slopes blocks as it mines, the number of blocks that are mined will vary.
The table below assumes that five of its lasers are mining, and the sixth laser is sloping. If four lasers are mining, it can mine 60 dirt blocks/second.
- Minions can be in effect while on a Drill Mount, so summon them before mounting, since most other means of defense against enemies will be unavailable.
- A yoyo can be used when riding the Drill Mount. This works when the yoyo is already in use and the player activates the mount afterward. This can be useful for attacking enemies while flying around. However, this does mean you will be unable to mine blocks.
- You can use a Breathing Reed when using the drill mount, although it will appear it is on your head.
- A Drill or a Chainsaw can be used when riding the drill mount. This works when the tool is in use and the player activates the mount afterward. When used with a Butcher's Chainsaw, this can be quite effective. However, you will be unable to mine blocks.
- You can also use Neptune's Shell while you are mining, increasing your speed through water, and eliminating the need for air.
- It has the highest monetary value of materials of any craftable item in the game, pricing at 1 platinum, 85 gold and 60 silver from the ingots or 1 platinum, 4 gold and 20 silver from the base materials. (Note that Hellstone and Obsidian don't have any monetary value.)
- The Drill Mount has the longest digging range of any digging tool, matched only by the Laser Drill
- The 1.3 trailer showed that a player was using Laser Machinegun at 1:28 while riding in the Drill Mount, which seems no longer possible in the 1.3's official release.
- This is the only mount that is crafted.
- There is an unused sprite in the game files titled "Mount_Drill.png" that bears a strong resemblance to the DCU. The current Buff sprite of the DCU resembles this unused mount, and so it is thought to be a beta version of the DCU itself.
- 184.108.40.206: Now unable to mine Demon Altars before Hardmode.