Drowning occurs when a player's breath meter fully depletes while underwater. While drowning, the player will take continuous damage until they are able to successfully counter it with an accessory, a potion, or a pocket of air. Otherwise, the player will die. The rate at which drowning occurs (2 HP per 7 tick or ~17.14 HP/s) cannot be slowed down nor sped up, unless the player has certain accessories equipped.
NPCs can also drown if stuck or forced underwater, making this a very effective way of killing NPCs. The only NPC that is immune to drowning is the Skeleton Merchant, although the Nurse can heal herself fast enough to avoid drowning.
Drowning may happen at any place with large enough bodies of water or honey to fully submerge the player, with the Ocean and Bee Hives being prime natural candidates for such an event. Equipping a Fish Bowl can be used to manually drown the player.
Items that can slow or prevent drowning[edit | edit source]
|Flipper||Allows players to swim|
|Jellyfish Necklace||Provides a dim light while underwater|
|Diving Helmet||Breath meter depletes slower (lasts about 4 times as long), slows drowning damage by 75%.|
|Diving Gear||Breath meter depletes slower, slows drowning time, allows players to swim|
|Jellyfish Diving Gear||Breath meter depletes slower, slows drowning time, allows players to swim, increased vision underwater|
|Arctic Diving Gear||Breath meter depletes slower, slows drowning time, allows players to swim, increased vision underwater|
|Breathing Reed||Reduces the rate of air loss underwater and health lost while drowning by 50%; refills breath meter if the top end is above the water's surface|
|Gills Potion||Breath meter will not deplete while underwater for 2 minutes|
|Water Walking Potion||Allows players to walk on water for 5 minutes, preventing accidental drowning|
|Water Walking Boots||Allows players to walk on water, preventing accidental drowning|
|Obsidian Water Walking Boots||Allows players to walk on water, preventing accidental drowning|
|Lava Waders||Allows players to walk on water, preventing accidental drowning|
|Neptune's Shell||Breath meter never depletes, allows players to swim with ease, increased movement in water|
|Moon Shell||Breath meter never depletes, allows players to swim with ease, increased movement in water|
|Celestial Shell ()||Breath meter never depletes, allows players to swim with ease, increased movement in water|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Lava does not cause the player to drown if they are fully submerged. The damage lava inflicts on contact and the On Fire! debuff can serve as a counterpart to the rapid depletion of health drowning induces.
- Due to the reduced movement speed honey grants when players are in it, a player could get stuck and easily drown in honey if they don't have proper equipment.
- If you have a long enough Grappling Hook, you could use it to save yourself from drowning.
- Without using any breathing accessories, the breath meter basically measures how much longer the player can hold their breath. Various equipment can be used to extend this time, and with Neptune's Shell (and it's successors), extend this time indefinitely.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2:
- Lava no longer causes drowning.
- Honey introduced, and can drown the player.