Duke Fishron is a Hardmode boss. While he can be fought as soon as Hardmode is initiated, he is extremely powerful and will generally require post-Golem gear for all but the most skilled players. Defeating Duke Fishron does not unlock any new events or other aspects required for game progression, but will rather provide incredibly powerful loot, bested only by the gear from the Lunar Events in terms of power and utility.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
Duke Fishron is summoned by fishing with a Fishing Pole using Truffle Worms as bait in the Ocean. The Truffle Worm is a rare critter that must be caught with the Bug Net or Golden Bug Net in an Underground Mushroom Biome. Once the bobber bobs, reeling the line in spawns Duke Fishron, who emerges from the water, pauses for a moment, and then lunges at the player.
Summoning Duke Fishron does not require that any other bosses have been defeated beforehand. However, a world must be in Hardmode in order to obtain the Truffle Worm used to summon him. You can summon Duke Fishron in a pre-hardmode world via getting a Truffle Worm in a Hardmode world.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
First stage[edit | edit source]
Duke Fishron lunges at the player exactly five times, traveling through blocks, before using one of two projectile attacks:
- Detonating Bubble: This is usually the first attack Duke Fishron uses against the player. Duke Fishron blows roughly 10-20 bubbles from his mouth that follow the player at moderate speed, exploding and dealing damage on contact. These bubbles can be destroyed via any attack or projectile, however, they can be hard to hit. These inflict the "Wet" debuff for 7 seconds.
- Sharkron: Duke Fishron waves his fins, summoning liquid blobs that fall (bypassing any platforms) until they travel 1.5x the vertical size of the screen or impact with blocks. They then spawn Sharknadoes: giant water tornadoes that each fire several Sharkrons. Sharkrons have limited flight range, are destroyed on impact with blocks, and can be killed by the player.
Second stage[edit | edit source]
When Duke Fishron falls below half (25,000 in normal mode, 30,000 in Expert mode) health, he remains stationary for a second and his eyes glow. His damage and speed increase significantly, but his defense is reduced to 40. His lunges become faster, and are only performed three times instead of five before executing one of his projectile attacks, which are also upgraded:
- Detonating Bubbles are now fired while Duke Fishron flies in quick loops, which leave a trail of the bubbles behind.
- There is now only one "blob" that causes a tornado, but it follows the player, creating a "Cthulhunado" (upgraded version of first stage's "Sharknado") on contact. The blob itself does not cause damage but will spawn twice as many Sharkrons as in the first stage. ( Wii U edition eyes glow only when switching and are a brighter shade.)
Third stage[edit | edit source]
When Duke Fishron falls below around 8500 health, there will be a little pause and then the sky will transition from normal to be shrouded with a thick, blue fog. Everything, including Duke Fishron, becomes less visible within the fog but still can be located using the minimap, or his small, glowing yellow eyes. While the fog is active, Duke Fishron reaches maximum speed and begins to teleport and dash in order to ram the player.
- His damage is reduced to 184.
- He becomes invisible and then teleports to the other side of your screen, then becomes visible again, dashing very quickly at the player in front of and slightly above the player, making running away impossible.
- After each dash, there is a small pause.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Fish Out of Water • "Defeat Duke Fishron, mutant terror of the sea."|
|Defeat Duke Fishron for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Straying too far from the Ocean biome during the fight causes Duke Fishron to "enrage", lunging at the player continuously, dealing double damage, and gaining double defense (similar to Plantera's "enraged" behavior outside the Underground Jungle). Note that altitude does not matter, as long as the player remains far enough east or west. Also note that Duke Fishron will not despawn because of the biome or time of day.
- Duke Fishron can also be summoned from a lava pool near the edge of the world with the Hotline Fishing Hook.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Keep in mind your current distance from the Ocean that the boss was spawned at, so as to prevent him from becoming enraged and making the fight unnecessarily more difficult.
- The Inferno Potion can come in very handy during this fight to prevent taking any damage from Duke's homing bubble attacks. Since they only have 1 HP, and the inferno potion has a barrier around the player, it can easily destroy the bubbles if they get too close.
- On the other hand, The Horseman's Blade can destroy the bubbles and spawn a pumpkin for each one. With how many of them spawn it can put a large dent in Duke Fishron's health.
- Duke Fishron has a 33% to inflict Bleeding, a 33% chance to inflict Feral Bite, and a final 33% chance to inflict nothing.
- Players can build a platform along the top of the ocean to avoid sinking. Water Walking Boots and Water Walking Potions are also good for defeating Duke Fishron and not sinking.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Duke Fishron was originally part of an April Fools joke by Terraria staff that claimed an "Aquarian Horde" event was to be included in the game. The Duke Fishron element alone ended up actually being introduced.
- The Sharknado attack is an allusion to the 2013 movie Sharknado.
- Duke Fishron turns transparent when over blocks, much the same way that Pigrons do.
- Duke Fishron drops an absurdly low amount of coins compared to other Hardmode bosses, despite being one of the toughest to defeat.
- Duke Fishron is a combination of a fish, pig, and dragon, or a fish pigron.
- He is the only boss on mobile version that is immune to the Stunned debuff, making Heart Arrows useless against him.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Highly increased "run away" distance.
- Console 1.07 Holiday Update: Console added Duke Fishron and all its drops (minus the Treasure Bag).
- Now Drops Treasure Bag in Expert Mode.
- A third stage and attack type is also implemented when fighting him in Expert Mode.
- Now becomes enraged when leaving the ocean.
- Given a new death sprite.
- 1.2.4: Introduced.