The Dungeon is a vast underground labyrinth made of Bricks that is generated on world creation, being located on either the far right or left of the map, and contains unique enemies whose spawn rates increase the deeper a player travels. It begins at an above-ground entrance structure resembling a castle, and extends down to near-Underworld depths. One Dungeon is generated in each world. Accessing the Dungeon requires first defeating Skeletron (see Access below). The Dungeon can appear in one of three Dungeon Brick colors, and with one or more Dungeon Brick Wall patterns, which is randomly generated at world creation.
The Dungeon contains a dense assortment of unique furniture and Mechanisms that can be retrieved by the player for later use. Several Dart Traps are Wired to Pressure Plates, providing an extra hazard to players. Traps like these can also sometimes be found above-ground at the Dungeon's entrance. Chain Lanterns are wired to Switches, which the player can toggle on and off. The bound Mechanic is also found here, and is freed when spoken to.
There are several locked Gold Chests containing both loot unique to the Dungeon and standard Underground loot. A Golden Key is required to open each of these, and will be consumed upon unlocking a chest. Locked Biome Chests are also present, but they can only be opened after Plantera is defeated and the player has obtained a respective Biome Key.
After Plantera is defeated, the Dungeon spawns new, more powerful enemies, which offer access to new items. Not all enemies spawn in all Dungeons: The particular background wall type generated for a particular Dungeon, as well as the corresponding Faction Flags scattered around, determine which post-Plantera enemies spawn there (see below).
|Placed Lesser Healing and Lesser Mana Potion|
On the Desktop, Console, and Mobile versions, after a player defeats Golem and Skeletron in a world, a group of 4 Cultists will spawn at the entrance of the Dungeon. Killing them will summon the Lunatic Cultist, and killing the Lunatic Cultist will initiate the Lunar Events, an end-game event.
Access[edit | edit source]
To gain unrestricted access to the Dungeon, Skeletron must first be defeated. Skeletron is summoned by speaking to the Old Man, who guards the Dungeon entrance. At Night, a "curse" option will be displayed, which will turn the Old Man into Skeletron when clicked. Speaking to the Old Man during the Day will not allow you to fight Skeletron. By defeating Skeletron, the Clothier NPC becomes available, and will spawn when a suitable vacant house is available.
The Dungeon can be entered but not fully explored before Skeletron is defeated. Traveling to -3 depth in the Dungeon before it has been defeated will summon Dungeon Guardians which will generally kill any player with a single hit. The Dungeon Guardians are practically invincible, and killing them will not grant access to the Dungeon, and the only item gained from defeating a Dungeon Guardian is the Bone Key.
You can tell if the requirements to spawn Dungeon Guardians are met if the music changes to the unique Dungeon track, or if you have a Depth Meter equipped that reads "Level" or "X' Underground". Dungeon entrances are located at varying heights, but are always some distance above zero depths, making their entrance structures and 1-2 screens of depth generally safe from Guardians.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Hardmode post-Plantera Dungeon[edit | edit source]
When Plantera is defeated for the first time in a world, the status message "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..." appears, meaning that new enemies will now appear in the Dungeon. They are generally much more difficult than ordinary Dungeon enemies, and drop new powerful items. It also becomes possible to open the Biome Chests present in the Dungeon.
The particular post-Plantera enemies that spawn in a Dungeon area depend on its background wall, which will also correspond to the Faction Flags found naturally placed in the area. A single Dungeon can contain multiple background wall types in different sections, or just one type. Whether a Dungeon contains different types can only be determined by exploring the Dungeon. The wall type does not determine what type of enemies spawn, but instead affects their spawn rate (for example, Skeleton Snipers can still rarely spawn in dungeon brick walls, even if no Slab walls are nearby). Due to this, a player might need to generate more than one world, and defeat Plantera in each, in order to encounter all post-Plantera enemy types effectively, and to collect all of their unique drops.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Dungeon will always be on the side of the map opposite the Underground Desert and Jungle. If you're looking for the Dungeon and run into a large hole in a Desert or find a Jungle, turn around and go the other way. Likewise, the Dungeon will always be on the side of the map the Snow biome is on.
- A player is considered to be in the Dungeon if they are at or below the depth of -3 feet, standing in front of any naturally-placed Walls except Dirt Walls, and can see at least 250 Dungeon Bricks on screen. This knowledge can be useful if one wants to lure out a Dungeon Guardian, or to avoid encountering one.
- Most Dungeons, regardless of their visible background walls, have Brick walls behind their foreground blocks. If these blocks are mined out and Plantera has been defeated, enemies associated with Brick walls can potentially spawn.
- Dungeons are much smaller on the Old-gen console and versions of Terraria.
- It is possible, though highly unlikely, for a Dungeon Guardian to spawn pre-Skeletron if the player is below -3 depth and outside of the Dungeon. This will only happen if the player is extremely close to the Dungeon, by touching or standing on the outside wall.
- In Expert mode, all Hardmode dungeon enemies have a 50% chance to drop 2 items.
- Although very rare, a chest in the Dungeon can be looted without triggering the spawn of Dungeon Guardians. A chest may also spawn just under the first set of platforms,although this is rare. (This has only been seen on Mobile)
- If Skeletron was already defeated he will no longer appear at the Dungeon and will only be able to be summoned by a Clothier Voodoo Doll, making him one of the two non-permanent enemies in the Dungeon. (The other is Dungeon Guardian)
- It is possible for a Altar to spawn in a dungeon, even when there is no Crimson/Corruption nearby. (This has only been sighted in a Crimson world on Mobile)
The Post Plantera Armored Bones are Melee themed enemies. They are the most common post Plantera enemy. The Skeleton Rangers are considered to be rare but can be encountered fairly common if the player is in the wall type the enemy usually spawns in. Same with the Bone Lee even though Bone Lee spawns in any wall type. The magic based enemies are less common than the Armored Bones and more common than the post Plantera ranger skeletons. The high spawn rate in dungeons is also useful and helps the player encounter rarer enemies more often.
Tips[edit | edit source]
For tips on navigating the Dungeon, see Guide:Surviving in the Dungeon.
- Farming for Bones is harder in a post-Plantera dungeon, as the weaker enemies will be overridden by the spawn rates of post-Plantera enemies, which don't drop bones. However, bones will be of little use by the time you've gotten this far.
- If you want to navigate the Dungeon in a post-Golem world, ignore the Cultists when entering. Defeating all four of them by accident will spawn the Lunatic Cultist, so be cautious.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- – According to the official game lore, The Dungeon was once a thriving city until an unknown curse brought everyone in the dungeon to live past death, their bodies rotting away and turning into mindless beasts
- The pre-Hardmode Dungeon holds a few water themed items such as the Water Bolt and Aqua Scepter.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Hardmode Enemies can now have a chance to drop the Kraken.
- Cultists will now spawn at the entrance of the dungeon when Golem has been defeated.
- Bewitching Tables and Alchemy Tables now generate within the dungeon.
- Valor now can be found in a locked Gold Chest.
- There is a 1 in 7 chance that a Hardmode Dungeon monster will spawn on any Hardmode Dungeon backwall.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed bug where hardmode dungeon casters would shoot more than 1 projectile in multiplayer.
- Desktop 1.2.4: The Dungeon (as well as the Underworld) has more new Furniture generated at world creation.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.