The Dungeon is a vast underground labyrinth made of Bricks that is generated on world creation, being located on either the far right or left of the map, and contains unique enemies whose spawn rates increase the deeper a player travels. It begins at an above-ground entrance structure resembling a castle, and extends down to near-Underworld depths. One Dungeon is generated in each world. Accessing the Dungeon requires first defeating Skeletron (see Access below). The Dungeon can appear in one of three Dungeon Brick colors, and with one or more Dungeon Brick Wall patterns, which is randomly generated at world creation.
In the Desktop version and Mobile version, some passages are blocked off by Cracked Dungeon Bricks. These blocks look almost identical to regular dungeon brick, but appear slightly crumbled, and drop no blocks when destroyed. Breaking one block may break adjacent false blocks in a chain similar to the behavior of Desert Fossil. False blocks may also break spontaneously when the player walks on them or uses a grappling hook. Using a Dangersense potion will highlight these blocks. Cracked Dungeon Bricks also conceal large, rectangular rooms lined with spikes and occasionally filled with water, so caution is advised.
The Dungeon contains a dense assortment of unique furniture and Mechanisms that can be retrieved by the player for later use. Several Dart Traps are Wired to Pressure Plates, providing an extra hazard to players. Traps like these can also sometimes be found above-ground at the Dungeon's entrance. Chain Lanterns are wired to Switches, which the player can toggle on and off. The bound Mechanic is also found here, and is freed when spoken to.
There are several locked Gold Chests containing both loot unique to the Dungeon and standard Underground loot. A Golden Key is required to open each of these, and will be consumed upon unlocking a chest. Locked Biome Chests are also present, but they can only be opened after Plantera is defeated and the player has obtained a respective Biome Key.
After Plantera is defeated, the Dungeon spawns new, more powerful enemies, which offer access to new items. Not all enemies spawn in all Dungeons: The particular background wall type generated for a particular Dungeon, as well as the corresponding Faction Flags scattered around, determine which post-Plantera enemies spawn there (see below).
|Placed Lesser Healing and Lesser Mana Potion|
There are many shelves in the Dungeon, on which are Books, Lesser Healing Potions, Lesser Mana Potions, and occasionally Water Bolts, which appears as a blue book with a yellow stripe in placed form. Crystal Hearts can not spawn in the Dungeon.
On the Desktop, Console, and Mobile versions, after a player defeats Golem and Skeletron in a world, a group of 4 Cultists will spawn at the entrance of the Dungeon. Killing them will summon the Lunatic Cultist, and killing the Lunatic Cultist will initiate the Lunar Events, an end-game event.
Access[edit | edit source]
To gain unrestricted access to the Dungeon, Skeletron must first be defeated. Skeletron is summoned by speaking to the Old Man, who guards the Dungeon entrance. At Night, a "curse" option will be displayed, which will turn the Old Man into Skeletron when clicked. Speaking to the Old Man during the Day will not allow the player to fight Skeletron. By defeating Skeletron, the Clothier NPC becomes available, and will spawn when a suitable vacant house is available.
The Dungeon can be entered but not fully explored before Skeletron is defeated. Traveling to -3 depth in the Dungeon before it has been defeated will summon Dungeon Guardians which will generally kill most players with a single hit. The Dungeon Guardians are practically invincible, and killing them will not grant access to the Dungeon, and the only item gained from defeating a Dungeon Guardian is the Bone Key.
The player can tell if the requirements to spawn Dungeon Guardians are met if the music changes to the Dungeon track, or if they have a Depth Meter equipped that reads "Level" or "X' Underground". Dungeon entrances are located at varying heights, but are always some distance above zero depths, making their entrance structures and 1-2 screens of depth generally safe from Guardians.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Hardmode post-Plantera Dungeon[edit | edit source]
When Plantera is defeated for the first time in a world, the status message "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..." appears, meaning that new enemies will now appear in the Dungeon. They are generally much more difficult than ordinary Dungeon enemies, and drop new powerful items. It also becomes possible to open the Biome Chests present in the Dungeon.
The particular post-Plantera enemies that spawn in a Dungeon area are biased by the background walls, present, which also correspond to the Faction Flags found naturally placed in the area. A single Dungeon can contain multiple background wall types in different sections, or just one type. Whether a Dungeon contains different types can only be determined by exploring the Dungeon. Each wall type has "usual" enemies to spawn, but there is always a small chance of other Dungeon enemies spawning, and this chance is increased if a lucky player is present. For example, Skeleton Snipers can still rarely spawn in areas with Dungeon Brick Walls, even if no Slab Walls are nearby.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Dungeon will always be on the side of the map opposite to the Underground Desert and Jungle. Likewise, the Dungeon will always be on the side of the map the Snow biome is on.
- A player is considered to be in the Dungeon if they are at or below the depth of -3 feet, standing in front of any naturally-placed walls except Dirt Walls, and can see at least 250 Dungeon Bricks on screen. This knowledge can be useful if one wants to lure out a Dungeon Guardian, or to avoid encountering one.
- Most Dungeons, regardless of their visible background walls, have Brick walls behind their foreground blocks. If these blocks are mined out and Plantera has been defeated, enemies associated with Brick walls can potentially spawn.
- Dungeons are much smaller on the Old-gen console and versions of Terraria.
- It is possible, though highly unlikely, for a Dungeon Guardian to spawn pre-Skeletron if the player is below -3 depth and outside of the Dungeon. This will only happen if the player is extremely close to the Dungeon, by touching or standing on the outside wall.
- In Expert mode, all Hardmode Dungeon enemies have a chance to drop two items.
- It is possible that one or more Chests spawn above the surface, allowing to be looted without triggering the spawn of Dungeon Guardians. However, these do not contain the unique, valuable Dungeon-specific items.
- It is possible for the Water Bolt to be above the surface, allowing for early game players to get a powerful weapon.
- If Skeletron was already defeated, it will no longer appear at the Dungeon and will only be able to be summoned by a Clothier Voodoo Doll, making it and the Dungeon Guardian the only non-permanent enemies in the Dungeon. The Old Man and the Dungeon Guardian are the only creatures that will never be able to spawn again in the world once a boss is beaten.
- It is possible for an Altar to spawn in a Dungeon, even when there is no Crimson/Corruption nearby.
- The unique loot of the first few chests of the Dungeon (starting from the entrance) can be easily guessed without unlocking. If the first chest is located above the depth of -100 feet, it will be wooden and contain a Golden Key, otherwise it will contain a Muramasa / Shadow Key . The following chest will contain a Cobalt Shield / Muramasa , and so on.
- This is because of the way Dungeon chest loot is generated; the unique item of each chest follows a predetermined order. In practice, this becomes impossible to follow because of how the Dungeon splits off into multiple branching paths; however, the entrance is predictable because it is a single linear path. The order is as follows: Shadow Key , Muramasa, Cobalt Shield, Aqua Scepter, Blue Moon, Magic Missile, Valor, Golden Key, Handgun.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Farming for Bones is harder in a post-Plantera dungeon, as the weaker enemies will be overridden by the spawn rates of post-Plantera enemies, which don't drop bones. However, bones will be of little use by the time the player has gotten this far.
- If the player wants to navigate the Dungeon in a post-Golem world, ignore the Cultists when entering. Defeating all four of them by accident will spawn the Lunatic Cultist, so be cautious.
- Spike-covered pits that are filled with water are very suitable for Dungeon Fishing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- – According to the official game lore, the Dungeon was once a thriving city until an unknown curse brought everyone in the dungeon to live past death, their bodies rotting away and turning into mindless beasts.
- The decorative banners placed in front of the various walls hint as towards the enemies - e.g. the Diabolic Sigil is found in tiled wall areas, where the Diabolist spawns.
- It is possible (though unlikely) for a boulder trap to spawn being cut off by a dungeon, having The boulder above the dungeon, and the pressure plate below, the dungeon bricks between the trap will be removed, leading to a functional bolder trap, and a entrance into the dungeon.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed an issue in Dungeon code that was causing the same seed to create different worlds each time.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed some Hardmode Dungeon enemies drawing into the floor slightly in their animation.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Added a new Desert theme chest that contains the Desert Tiger Staff.
- Added Cracked Dungeon Bricks to the dungeon, these may block certain paths in the dungeon or reveal pit traps that are lined with spikes and occasionally filled with water.
- Spikes are one block longer.
- Shadow Keys now generate along other unique loot in Golden Chests.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Hardmode enemies can now have a chance to drop the Kraken.
- Cultists will now spawn at the entrance of the dungeon when Golem has been defeated.
- Bewitching Tables and Alchemy Tables now generate within the dungeon.
- Valor now can be found in a locked Gold Chest.
- There is a 1 in 7 chance that a Hardmode Dungeon monster will spawn on any Hardmode Dungeon backwall.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Fixed bug where Hardmode dungeon casters would shoot more than 1 projectile in multiplayer.
- Desktop 1.2.4: The Dungeon (as well as the Underworld) has more new Furniture generated at world creation.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.