We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
|Damage||1000 / 2000|
|Max Life||9999 / 19998|
|Internal NPC ID: 68|
- For strategies on defeating a Dungeon Guardian, see Guide:Dungeon Guardian strategies.
Dungeon Guardians are enemies that guard the Dungeon against intruders. If a player enters the Dungeon without first killing Skeletron and travels below zero depth (a horizontal border separating the surface from the underground), one or more Dungeon Guardians quickly fly at the player, dealing 1,000 damage each, which effectively kills most players instantly. Dungeon Guardians are large, very fast, and travel through all blocks.
Any player who attacks a Dungeon Guardian, regardless of the weapon or other equipment, will deal only 1 damage, or 2 for critical hits.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you have maximum defense you can survive one hit from the dungeon guardian. (Beetle armor with 91 defense and Beetle shell, which gives damage reduction of 45%. Not tested with lower defense.)
- Dungeon Guardians have 9999 life, so the the player must get at most 9999 hits on the guardian because they only take 1 damage. (2 for critical hits.) The only exception is Frostburn, which deals ~32 damage per hit.
- To be considered in the Dungeon, you must be in front of a dungeon wall. Simply having a large number of dungeon bricks on-screen will not count as being in the Dungeon.
- The Dungeon Guardian will override all Dungeon spawns, so the Bound Mechanic and Angry Bones are impossible to come across, even if the player somehow endures the Dungeon Guardian.
- The Dungeon Guardian will not spawn unless you are completely below zero depth and are standing in front of a naturally-spawned dungeon wall.
- It travels at a speed of 41 mph so using a Cosmic Car Key is useful against it as the UFO mount travels at the same speed. The Unicorn Mount's speed reaches 61 mph.
- There can only be up to 15 spawned at any given time.
- The Dungeon Guardian can drop hearts and mana.
- The Dungeon Guardian has a map icon.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Because of the extreme effort that must be done to defeat a Dungeon Guardian, and also because its only drop, the Bone Key, isn't very useful, there isn't much point in defeating a Dungeon Guardian unless one wants bragging rights.
- However, on the console version, the bone key is required for the pet hoarder achievement.
- Killing a Dungeon Guardian is possible, though it would take thousands of hits due to its absurdly high defense (The Phantasm Bow and Luminite Arrows are recommended, because of the buildup that can easily drain his health by hundreds a second). Combined with the fact that you generally need to contend with multiple Guardians at once, victory is extremely unlikely unless you prepare carefully for the encounter.
- High speed and critical chance are crucial for fighting the Dungeon Guardian, as every hit will do 1 damage, and every critical hit will do 2 damage.
- Dungeon Guardians will adhere to the same spawn limits as any other enemy: if there are too many monsters on-screen at once, they will not spawn.
- A good tactic is to acquire full Titanium armor, allowing you to occasionally dodge otherwise lethal hits.
- The player can outrun the Dungeon Guardian with the Unicorn Mount. The Unicorn Mount's speed reaches 61 mph, faster than the Dungeon Guardian, so the player will only need to stop to allow the Dungeon Guardian to catch up.
- Use of a Life Drain is particularly effective against the Dungeon Guardian, as the Life Drain can deal 5 damage a tick.
- Another good way to kill the Dungeon Guardian is to lure it into a circle of ropes, keep going around the ropes. Then, throw a boomerang in the middle. The Dungeon Guardian will stay in the middle, while taking damage from the boomerang.
- However, the Guardian's speed will almost always overtake the player. This strategy is best done with a circular hoik. (see Travel for more details)
- In the Mobile version the Chlorophyte Shotbow combined with Heart Arrow while wearing full Frost Armor (as the Dungeon Guardian is not immune to Frostburn debuff) can be a good way to defeat the Dungeon Guardian.
- One of the most general strategies is to dig a hole straight down through the dungeon, use a pair of wings with increased vertical speed (Fishron, Stardust, Solar) and Cosmic Car Key. Go down through the hole, and when the Guardian appears, quickly fly up through the hole and mount. From there you can damage it however you want, without ever being touched.
- In Expert mode, Dungeon Guardians will have double the health and deal double the damage. Due to this, it is recommended to try and defeat the Dungeon Guardian on a normal world to save time, money (All mobs take money from the ground) and further troubles.
- In the Mobile version the Dungeon Guardian can be killed very easily with Fishron Wings, Frost Armor, and any Ranged weapon. This is because Frostburn will do 32 damage every time the damage ticks. This can kill it in as few as 20 shots.
- In the Desktop Version Using the Cosmic Car Key is a good tactic as you can fly across the whole world without ever being touched until you reach the edge where you can loop back the other direction.
- Any Gun, an Endless Musket Pouch, and a Cosmic Car Key can get the job done. A Rod of Discord would be helpful if you happen to have one lying around.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, actual Skeletron Heads were used to guard the Dungeon. Killing all Skeletron Heads would count as defeating Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardian was created to repair this unintentional behavior.
- Despite being intended to be unbeatable, it is not invincible like Spike Balls, Blazing Wheels, and True Eyes of Cthulhu are.
- It has no corpse on the PC version, while on the mobile version, the remains of Skeletron's hands will appear upon its death.
History[edit | edit source]
- The speed of Dungeon Guardians and any other mobiles with the Dungeon Guardian Al (Skeletron and Skeletron Prime during day) has been buffed to move faster when flying in clear air.
- If the Dungeon Guardian is going through blocks then its speed slows down.
- When trying to outrun it with asphalt blocks, the Dungeon Guardian will chase you down and keep a certain distance near the player until you stop or if it goes through blocks
- The AI-reset problem has now been fixed, causing Turtle armor to no longer deal massive damage. The damage is now reduced to 1, like all other attacks.
- Defense raised from 9000 to 9999.
- 22.214.171.124: Damage reduced from 9000 to 1000, to prevent Turtle armor from dealing too much damage, however the exploit still works due to the Dungeon Guardian's AI resetting the damage (see [Discussion of this exploit] for details).
- 1.2: Now drops a Bone Key upon death.
- 1.0.5: Introduced, replacing Skeletron Heads as the Dungeon's guards.
References[edit | edit source]
- 1.0.5 Patchlog: “Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.”