This is a Town NPC. A House may be required in order for it to appear.
The Dye Trader is an NPC that sells the Dye Vat and other dye-related items. He will move in when the following criteria have been met:
- There is an empty house.
- One of the following:
- A Strange Plant has been acquired and is in the player's inventory
In addition to selling dye-related items, players may trade in Strange Plants for uncraftable and unpurchasable animated dyes. These dyes are given at random in sets of three for each Strange Plant exchanged.
On the Desktop version, the Dye Trader will attack nearby enemies with his Exotic Scimitar to defend himself. He may also drop this weapon on death.
Speaking to the Dye Trader will show the "Strange Plants" quest, in which the Dye Trader asks players to fetch him rare plants. In return, he rewards players with 3 character-exclusive dyes, which are not available for purchase or dropped.
The Dye Trader can have the following names:
- "I bring you the richest colors in exchange for your riches!"
- "My dear, what you're wearing is much too drab. You absolutely must take a lesson in dyeing your tired attire!"
- "The only kind of wood I would bother dyeing is RICH Mahogany. Dyeing any other wood is such a waste."
When Pirate NPC is present:
- "You must do something about [Name of Pirate NPC]. Everytime he comes over here, it takes me a week to get the smell off!"
During a Party
- "I truly love parties, so many beautiful colors and happy people."
When you give him a Strange Plant:
- "Brilliant, my dear! You have brought me an exquisite sample of the world's beautiful colors and aroma. In exchange, you may take this special bottle of dye."
- "You bring me a beautiful, rare flower... yes, yes? Take this bottle of special dye for your troubles, friend!"
- "Fantabulous, wonderful friend! With this delicate specimen, I may mix the most amazing dyes [Name of World] has ever seen! You may take this one right away!"
When you don't have a strange plant:
- "Oh no no, this will not do. For these money is no good, you must return to me with a rare specimen of a plant!"
- "You think you can pull a fast one on [Name of Dye Trader], I don't think so! I only take the rarest of flowers for these special bottles!"
- "These dye bottles? Sorry dear friend, these don't take coin. I only take the most precious and rare of flora in exchange for one of this!"
- The Dye Trader does not appear in the 3DS version due to it not supporting dyes.
- Ahirom, Abdosir, Hiram, Batnoam and Hannu are the names of ancient Phoenician kings and queens. Phoenicia was an east Mediterranean empire that became wealthy from the purple dye extracted from coastal snails, and Sea Snails drop the ingredient for Purple Dye.
- One of his quotes mentions that he sells "the richest colors"; however, he only sells 5 dyes, one of them only on multiplayer.
- Sprited by former artist William Data AKA Waffles. In 184.108.40.206, it was updated by Lazure.
- The Dye Trader's comments about rich mahogany have been confirmed by Cenx to be a reference to the film Anchorman.
- Even if you are wearing the Dye Trader's own attire, he still criticizes your clothes.
- He seems to dislike the Pirate, as he mentions in one of his quotes.
- New "Strange Plants" Quest.
- Defends self with Exotic Scimitar.
- Now sells Dye Trader's Turban, Shadow Dye, Negative Dye, and Brown Dye.
- Sprite updated.
- Now only shows up after defeating any of the Pre-Hardmode bosses.
- 1.2.3: Now sells the Team Dye on a multiplayer server as well.
- 1.2.1: Now sells the Dye Trader Robe during Halloween as well.