- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 207
- There is an empty house.
- Any material used to craft dye is in the player's inventory (e.g. Yellow Marigold).
- One of the following:
In addition to selling dye-related items, players may trade in Strange Plants for uncraftable and unpurchasable animated dyes. These dyes are given at random in sets of three for each exchanged Strange Plant.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|On a multiplayer server.|
|During full moon. (includes day before)|
|During full moon. (includes day before)|
Strange Plant Quests [edit | edit source]
Speaking to the Dye Trader will show the "Strange Plants" quest, in which the Dye Trader asks players to fetch him rare plants. In return, he rewards players with 3 vials of a special dye which cannot be obtained otherwise. More of these dyes become available as the game progresses.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
|Always available||After entering Hardmode||After defeating a mechanical boss||After defeating Plantera||After Martian Madness||After defeating Moon Lord|
Names[edit | edit source]
The Dye Trader can have the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "I bring you the richest colors in exchange for your riches!"
- "My dear, what you're wearing is much too drab. You absolutely must take a lesson in dyeing your tired attire!"
- "The only kind of wood I would bother dyeing is RICH Mahogany. Dyeing any other wood is such a waste."
When Pirate NPC is present:
- "You must do something about <name of Pirate NPC>. Everytime he comes over here, it takes me a week to get the smell off!"
During a Party
- "I truly love parties, so many beautiful colors and happy people."
When turning in a Strange Plant:
- "Brilliant, my dear! You have brought me an exquisite sample of the world's beautiful colors and aroma. In exchange, you may take this special bottle of dye."
- "You bring me a beautiful, rare flower... yes, yes? Take this bottle of special dye for your troubles, friend!"
- "Fantabulous, wonderful friend! With this delicate specimen, I may mix the most amazing dyes <name of world> has ever seen! You may take this one right away!"
When you don't have a strange plant:
- "Oh no no, this will not do. For these money is no good, you must return to me with a rare specimen of a plant!"
- "You think you can pull a fast one on <name of Dye Trader>, I don't think so! I only take the rarest of flowers for these special bottles!"
- "These dye bottles? Sorry dear friend, these don't take coin. I only take the most precious and rare of flora in exchange for one of this!"
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Dye Trader does not appear in the because the platform cannot render dyes. version
- The Dye Trader is male, although he is often mistaken as female. This can be proven by summoning him with a King Statue.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ahirom, Abdosir, Hiram, Batnoam and Hanno are the names of ancient Phoenician kings and queens. Phoenicia was an east Mediterranean empire that became wealthy from the purple dye extracted from coastal snails, and Sea Snails drop the ingredient for Purple Dye.
- His comment of "Yes Yes" in one of his quotes may be a reference to Tom Nook from the Animal Crossing series who often says the exact same thing in various situations.
- One of his quotes mentions that he sells "the richest colors"; however, he only sells 5 dyes, one of them only on multiplayer.
- The Dye Trader's sprite was created by the former artist William Data AKA Waffles. In 220.127.116.11, it was updated by Lazure.
- The Dye Trader's comments about rich mahogany have been confirmed by Cenx to be a reference to the film Anchorman.
- Even if the player is wearing the Dye Trader's own attire, he still criticizes their clothes.
- As mentioned in one of his quotes, he seems to dislike the Pirate.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- New "Strange Plants" Quest.
- Defends self with Exotic Scimitar.
- Now sells Dye Trader's Turban, Shadow Dye, Negative Dye, and Brown Dye.
- Sprite updated.
- Now only shows up after defeating any of the pre-Hardmode bosses.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now sells the Team Dye on a multiplayer server as well.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Now sells the Dye Trader Robe during Halloween as well.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.