|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Damage||111619 (exotic scimitar)|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 207
- There is an empty house.
- One of the following:
In addition to selling dye-related items, players may trade in Strange Plants for uncraftable and unpurchasable animated dyes once Hardmode has been reached. These dyes are given at random in sets of three for each exchanged Strange Plant.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Dye Trader will attack nearby enemies with his Exotic Scimitar to defend himself, dealing 11 / 16 / 19 damage at the start of the game, and (on the Desktop version) as players progress he will gain various stat increases. He may also drop this weapon on death.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Dye Vat||Always available.|
|Silver Dye||Always available.|
|Team Dye||On a multiplayer server.|
|Dye Trader Robe||During Halloween.|
|Dye Trader's Turban||During Halloween.|
|Shadow Dye||During full moon.|
|Negative Dye||During full moon.|
|Brown Dye||Always available.|
|Fogbound Dye||While in a Graveyard.|
|Bloodbath Dye||During a Blood Moon.|
|Any Pylon||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Strange Plant quests [edit | edit source]
Speaking to the Dye Trader will show the "Strange Plants" quest (requires Hardmode ), in which the Dye Trader asks players to fetch him rare plants. In return, he rewards players with 3 vials of a special dye which cannot be obtained otherwise. More of these dyes become available as the game progresses.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
| Always available
|Hardmode||After defeating a mechanical boss||After defeating Plantera||After Martian Madness||After defeating Moon Lord|
|Acid Dye||Reflective Obsidian Dye||Twilight Dye||Chlorophyte Dye||Wisp Dye||Martian Dye||Skiphs' Blood|
|Red Acid Dye||Reflective Copper Dye||Hades Dye||Living Flame Dye||Pixie Dye||Midnight Rainbow Dye|
|Blue Acid Dye||Reflective Metal Dye||Burning Hades Dye||Living Rainbow Dye||Unicorn Wisp Dye|
|Glowing Mushroom Dye||Negative Dye||Shadowflame Hades Dye||Living Ocean Dye||Infernal Wisp Dye|
|Purple Ooze Dye||Shadow Dye||Grim Dye|
|Reflective Dye||Mirage Dye||Phase Dye|
|Reflective Gold Dye||Shifting Sands Dye|
|Reflective Silver Dye||Gel Dye|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Dye Trader may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When Pirate is present:
During a Party :
During a Windy Day:
During a Thunderstorm:
When turning in a Strange Plant:
When you don't have a strange plant:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes [edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparsely populated area:
When in the Desert:
When in the Forest:
When near the Arms Dealer:
When near the Painter:
When near the Steampunker:
When near the Pirate:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ahirom, Abdosir, Hiram, Batnoam and Hanno are the names of ancient Phoenician kings and queens. Phoenicia was an east Mediterranean empire that became wealthy from the purple dye extracted from coastal snails, and Sea Snails drop the ingredient for Purple Dye.
- His comment of "Yes Yes" in one of his quotes may be a reference to Tom Nook from the Animal Crossing series who often says the exact same thing in various situations. This is likely as the exact same phrasing is used when the player is selling something in Animal Crossing, similar to the giving of a plant to the Trader.
- One of his quotes mentions that he sells "the richest colors"; however, he only sells 7 / 5 dyes, one of them only on multiplayer.
- The Dye Trader's sprite was created by the former artist William Data AKA Waffles. In 22.214.171.124, it was updated by Lazure.
- The Dye Trader's comments about rich mahogany have been confirmed by Cenx to be a reference to the film Anchorman.Verify
- Even if the player is wearing the Dye Trader's own attire, he still criticizes their clothes.
- Despite it being hidden under his turban, the Dye Trader's hair is observed to be black, which can be seen when it is removed during a Party in favor of a party hat.
- His persona is heavily inspired by stereotypes of early Middle Eastern and North African culture, as seen by his clothing (turban), his drops (Exotic Scimitar), and references to a Sultan in his quotes.
- As seen in his quotes, he is greedy and looks down on monotone robes.
- The Bestiary entry for the Dye Trader: "Eccentric and rather snobby to a fault, the Dye Trader has expensive tastes. He is passionate about the materials used in the dyes he sells."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Option to exchange Strange Plants for dyes now requires Hardmode.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- New "Strange Plants" Quest.
- Defends self with Exotic Scimitar.
- Now sells Dye Trader's Turban, Shadow Dye, Negative Dye, and Brown Dye.
- Sprite updated.
- Now only shows up after defeating any of the pre-Hardmode bosses.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now sells the Team Dye on a multiplayer server as well.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Now sells the Dye Trader Robe during Halloween as well.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.