Eater of Souls
The Eater of Souls is a flying enemy found prominently in The Corruption. It is the Corruption counterpart to the Crimson's Crimera. Eaters of Souls spawn from both Ebonstone and Corrupt grass, with large groups coming from chasms. They circle the player at a distance before periodically rushing in. There are three size variants, each with corresponding amounts of health, defense, and damage.
The Eater of Souls is the primary reason that newer players will want to avoid The Corruption prior to becoming more familiar with game combat, and acquiring more powerful weapons and armor. Eaters have relatively high defense and health points, cause significant damage on contact, and usually attack in swarms.
Variants[edit | edit source]
3 values: Pre-Hardmode › Hardmode › Post-Plantera
|NPC ID||Type||Health||Damage||Defense||KB Resist||Coins|
|6||Eater of Souls||40/80›176/120›264||22/44›78/66›117||8/8›16||50%/55%/60%||90Pre-Hardmode: 225Hardmode: 360|
|-11||Little Eater||34/68›149/102›224||18/37›66/56›99||6/6›13||43%/48%/54%||76Pre-Hardmode: 191Hardmode: 36|
|-12||Big Eater||46/92›202/138›303||25/50›89/75›134||9/9›18||58%/62%/66%||13Pre-Hardmode: 258Hardmode: 413|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In Expert Mode, Eaters of Souls will fly towards the player with greater precision, spending much less time circling around them.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Eaters of Souls are weak on their own, but may quickly coalesce into a larger swarm. Early weapons with longer range, like a Spear or Cactus Sword, can help to hit more of a swarm at once.
- Another good weapon to use is the Enchanted Boomerang, with good damage, high knockback, and piercing capabilities when returning to the player. The more common Wooden Boomerang is less effective, but still useful with good aim.
- Chasms can be sealed off with blocks of any type, which will trap any Eaters that spawn within. They will still spawn on the surface, but in reduced numbers.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The mouse-over name for each variant of the Eater used to be, respectively, Eater of Souls, Little Eater, and Big Eater.
- In the Desktop version and Mobile version, an Eater of Souls can occasionally be seen flying in the background in the Corruption as ambiance.
- A cloud in the shape of an Eater of Souls can occasionally be seen in the background.
- The Bestiary entry for the Eater of Souls: "Birthed from the Corruption as a being of pure malice, its sole instincts are to pursue, punish, and kill."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Big and little variants no longer named but share the name "Eater of Souls".
- Now has a chance to drop pieces of Ancient Shadow Armor.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Variants Little Eater and Big Eater introduced.
- May no longer enter water and doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- AI changed: Now surround players before charging in.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.