Eater of Worlds
|Type||Boss – Burrowing Enemy|
|AI Type||Worm AI|
|Max Life||7485 / 10479|
|Debuff duration||10 minutes|
|Debuff tooltip||Physical abilities are decreased|
The Eater of Worlds is not a single target, but a string of 50 segments (1 head, 48 body, 1 tail) with individual life counters. When any inner segment is destroyed, it splits into multiple smaller worms, each with their own head and tail. Each section of the Eater must be killed in order to defeat the entire boss.
Defeating the Eater of Worlds is the only way to obtain Shadow Scales, and is one of the ways to obtain usable quantities of Demonite Ore. Individual segments drop some of these when killed, with a larger bonus drop upon defeating the entire entity. Defeating the Eater of Worlds allows the Tavernkeep NPC to spawn.
The Eater of Worlds, like all worms, is immune to Lava.
While the Eater of Worlds is alive, music Boss 1 will play.
Segments[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the player leaves The Corruption, the Eater of Worlds will despawn (unless one manages to lure it into an artificial Crimson).
- Trying to summon the Eater of Worlds with Worm Food while another is still alive will not work and the item will not be consumed. Breaking multiple Shadow Orbs will still allow multiple Eaters of Worlds to spawn. Regardless of how many are summoned, only the last head alive will display the defeat message.
- Note that actually defeating the Eater of Worlds is not completely necessary, as a certain amount of segments may drop the needed amount of materials.
- However, defeating the Eater of Worlds is the only way to gain access to the Tavernkeep.
- Since each segment can drop loot when killed, it can be a good source of Presents during Christmas, and Goodie Bags, Bloody Machete and Bladed Gloves during Halloween.
- The different sections of the Eater of Worlds are not equivalent: A Head section will deal significantly more damage than the Body or Tail, but has less life and defense.
- Individual segments cannot survive on their own. Killing one segment, when that part only consisted of two segments, will kill both.
- When a part is destroyed, if it results in another worm being made, the segment that becomes the tail will fully recover. The segment that becomes the head will not heal.
- Depending on where exactly the Eater of Worlds is summoned, it may get stuck underneath some empty terrain, such as a Cave. It will only be stuck for a few seconds however, since it can travel through blocks.
- The Eater of Worlds spawns in a coiled state, and then unravels. Attacking it in this state will damage all its segments in that spot, which can kill it in seconds.
- When despawning, it travels into the ground until it vanishes.
- The Eater of Worlds only takes 65% of the usual damage from Molotov Cocktails.
Expert Mode changes[edit | edit source]
- In Expert mode, the Eater of Worlds periodically shoots Vile Spit projectiles from all body parts. These projectiles have a 5% (1/20) chance to inflict the Weak debuff onto the player for 10 minutes.
- In Expert mode, the Eater of Worlds takes 80% less damage from most explosives.
- This damage reduction does not seem to apply to Bouncy Bombs.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Weapons that pierce for multiple hits are effective, due to having multiple parts.
- Additionally, weapons with a large area of effect such as Grenades can be used to great effect. Keep in mind that Grenades seem to deal much less damage against it in Expert mode.
- The individual worms tend to retreat into the ground when their heads are destroyed.
- If possible, try to aim for the head or tails of each section, as if they die first, they will not split.
- Farming the Eater of Worlds is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode, a selling its drops will yield 9 to 11 each time.
- In Hardmode, farming the Eater of Worlds is a great way to get a Corruption Key/Mold as every segment has a chance of dropping one.
- The Vilethorn can be effective against the Eater of Worlds as it can phase through walls and can hit multiple segments at once.
- Since the Eater of Worlds will sometimes surround you, a quick way to get out is to have a bed to teleport (using Recall Potions, Magic or Ice Mirror) over the battle area.
- In Expert mode , the Eater of Worlds will likely take all the money a player drops upon death, as each segment counts as a separate NPC. Therefore it is suggested that players store their money in their Piggy Bank before summoning it.
- The Arkhalis is extremely effective against the Eater of Worlds. It quickly destroys Vile Spit and deals damage to the boss.
- Spamming the Water Bolt is extremely effective if the fight takes place within the horizontal chasms of the Corruption, as they can bounce around and hit multiple times.
- If fighting in a chasm, be very wary that it is easy to get surrounded, which can lead to death very quickly, especially in Expert mode.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Reduced damage of the Vile Spit attack.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now has a chance of dropping a Blend-O-Matic, this is meant to be the Eater's Bone drop however, is bugged.
- Desktop 1.1.2:
- The Eater of Worlds can now spawn when a third Shadow Orb is broken within the Hallow, but will still flee due to not being in the Corruption.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- No longer defeated when it flees.
- Head health reduced from 80 to 65, damage reduced from 43 to 22.
- Body health reduced from 210 to 150, damage reduced from 18 to 13, armor reduced from 7 to 4.
- Tail health reduced from 300 to 220, damage reduced from 15 to 11, armor reduced from 10 to 8.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- No longer drops Shadow Armor.
- Can no longer follow players out of the corruption.
- Head health reduced from 140 to 80, damage reduced from 50 to 43.
- Body life reduced from 230 to 210, damage reduced from 25 to 18.
- Tail life reduced from 350 to 300.
- Desktop 1.0.4:
- Fixed a bug where simply selecting Worm Food in your quick bar summoned the Eater of Worlds.
- Head life increased from 120 to 140, damage increased from 40 to 50, armor increased from 0 to 2.
- Body life increased from 200 to 230, damage increased from 10 to 25, armor increased from 4 to 7.
- Tail life increased from 300 to 350, damage increased from 10 to 15, armor increased from 8 to 10.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.