"A Solar Eclipse is happening!"
A Solar Eclipse is a Hardmode event that occurs rarely after at least one Mechanical Boss has been defeated. A Solar Eclipse has a 1/20 (5%) chance of occurring on any particular day. On the Desktop version and Console version, it is also possible to summon a Solar Eclipse using a Solar Tablet (crafted from Solar Tablet Fragments dropped by Lihzahrds and Flying Snakes in the Jungle Temple).
During a Solar Eclipse, unique and difficult enemies spawn at very high rates, even near NPCs. The event lasts for one entire day, from sunrise to sunset, regardless of the number of enemies that have been killed. The moon is visible in front of the sun, causing the ambient light level to drop to below-nighttime levels.
A Solar Eclipse is announced at the beginning of a day with the status message, "A solar eclipse is happening!" The event only affects the surface layer, and can be avoided by burrowing well into the underground layer or below.
Content[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There is a 5% chance for a Solar Eclipse to occur each dawn, even if one happened the previous day. It is possible for multiple Solar Eclipses to occur in a row. It is also possible for a Blood Moon to follow a Solar Eclipse, or vice-versa.
- It is possible for other events to occur at the same time as a Solar Eclipse, such as a Goblin Invasion or a Pirate Invasion. Prior to 184.108.40.206, these events may also cancel Solar Eclipse enemy spawns.
- Unlike a Blood Moon, a Solar Eclipse only allows its own enemies to spawn on the surface, except for in Corruption, Crimson, and Ocean areas.
- It is possible to obtain a solar tablet from a chest that is outside the Jungle Temple. Although, the item will not work and does not trigger the event before you enter hard mode.
- On the Mobile version, if you quit the game when the Solar Eclipse message is shown, the event will not occur.
- On the Mobile version and Old-gen console version, instead of getting the Broken Hero Swords from Mothron, you get them from Frankensteins and Swamp Things.
- It is possible to fight some bosses during an eclipse.
- As there are very high enemy spawn rates, it is a good idea to use a Minishark (low damage for more coins) with Golden Bullets to farm for money, but for more use a Lucky Coin.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Like the Blood Moon, the effects of Water Candles and Battle Potions stack with the event's spawn rate, increasing the chances for rare drops.
- Solar Tablet Fragments, which are used to create the event summoning Solar Tablet, can be acquired before gaining access to the Jungle Temple. This can be done by waiting just outside the Jungle Temple, and killing the Lihzahrds that spawn, who will drop the Solar Tablet Fragments.
- However, crafting the Solar Tablet requires a Hardmode Anvil, so gathering the fragments pre-hardmode won't be of any benefit until one is obtained.
- Fetid Baghnakhs are great weapons in surviving Solar Eclipses because of the fast speed and high damage.
- The KO Cannon is very effective against the pre-mechanical boss version.
- On the you can escape the enemies spawned by the Solar Eclipse by going on a versionFloating Island, but it will not stop the enemies that spawn naturally there from spawning. eg. Harpy, Wyvern.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Every enemy that spawns during a Solar Eclipse (except the Reaper and Eyezor) share the theme of classic 20th century horror films. (See image on the right and each enemy's individual page for movie references.)
- The type of Solar Eclipse displayed is an annular solar eclipse.
- In real life, such eclipses are extremely rare, happening less than once a year and rarely where people can see it.
- Additionally, real solar eclipses only occur on new moons. In Terraria the event can occur on any phase of the moon.
- When loading a world with a Solar Eclipse in progress, the sun that rises and sets on the loading screen is also in its eclipsed state.
- During an Eclipse, the moon icon on the Sextant will turn red, like it does with a Blood Moon.
- Originally, another enemy was planned for the Solar Eclipse, named the Severed Hand: . It was never added to the game, for unknown reasons. Despite this, there is still an unobtainable Severed Hand Banner.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Chance of a natural Solar Eclipse occurring decreased to 1/20.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Can now be summoned manually using a Solar Tablet.
- Added Dr. Man Fly, Mothron, Nailhead, Fritz, The Possessed, Butcher, Deadly Sphere, Creature from the Deep and Psycho along with their banners and drops.
- Changed sprite for Swamp Thing and Vampire.
- Other Events will no longer block spawns from the Solar Eclipse.
- Chance of a natural Solar Eclipse occurring increased to 1/14.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Slightly increased the chance for a Solar Eclipse to happen, from 1/30 to 1/25, but they will now only happen after killing a Mechanical Boss.
- Solar Eclipses are no longer persistent between worlds.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.