|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons a baby finch to fight for you|
|Buff tooltip||The baby finch will fight for you|
The Finch Staff is an aerial melee summon weapon which summons a Baby Finch as a minion. Like other minions, the summoned Baby Finch is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, or cancels the buff. The Finch Staff is the most basic summon weapon in the game. It is automatically equipped for Journey Mode characters, and can be found in Living Wood Chests within Living Trees in all modes.
The Baby Finch flies towards nearby enemies and deals contact damage, but does not target enemies without a clear line-of-sight, even if they are targeted with ⚷ Open / Activate.
While the Baby Finch buff is active, a nest appears on the player's head, in which the Baby Finch will rest when not attacking. When multiple Baby Finches are summoned, they will all be visible on the player's head.
Unlike most other summon weapons, its best possible modifier is Mythical because both the Ruthless and Mythical modifiers only raise its base damage to 8 due to rounding.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The finch will always be summoned at the player's cursor; it will have to fly to the player's head before nesting. However, the nest sprite appears instantly when the first finch is summoned.
- Unlike other summoning weapons, a finch is summoned when the player spawns without needing to use the staff if it is in the inventory.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Despite reaching relatively high speeds, it has difficulty turning, and may often fly in circles while trying to charge targets.
- If the player is attempting to use only Summon weapons, it is usually a good idea to use the Finch Staff to farm for the Leather Whip (which will increase the damage both the player and Baby Finch do), before attempting to fight bosses or explore more challenging areas, such as The Crimson/The Corruption or Underground Jungle. Alternatively, the player could replace the Finch Staff completely with Slime Staff, although it is incredibly unlikely to drop and relies heavily on luck.
- Rapidly summoning finches onto an enemy can be helpful if the finch is not actively targeting it.
- Cornering an enemy with a Finch will result in very high dps.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Reworked to be more reliable with hitting its targets.
- Enemies knocked back by the Finches are knocked away from the player now, regardless of the angle of the Finch.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed an issue where Baby Finches were unable to descend through platforms.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52.0: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 184.108.40.206.