- Internal Item ID: 1992
- Internal NPC ID: 355
The Firefly is a critter that gives off a tiny amount of light. Fireflies have only 5 health, and can be damaged by other enemies and the player, which almost always results in their instant death.
Fireflies will spawn anywhere on the surface at night, except inside houses. They can be caught with a Bug Net to be carried around and released later, or put in a bottle to be used as furniture and a light source. The bottled firefly is animated and moves around inside, and cannot be released once crafted.
Fireflies can be used as bait, having a 20% bait power value.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Fireflies are handy for beginning players to use as their first fishing bait, since many can be caught in a single night. That said, they are not very good bait -- even worms are superior, and over time much better baits will become available.
- Between 30-50 Fireflies can be farmed over a typical night, with aid of wings and patience. With a Water Candle to boost spawn rates, 100+ can be farmed in a single night.
- The spawn rate of the fireflies is randomly determined at the beginning of the night. Therefore on some nights you will see massive swarms, while on other nights very few will spawn. Butterflies spawn rates are determined in relatively the same way only the chance for that day is determined at the beginning of the day.
- They may spawn in huge amounts if the two factors above (correct moon phase and high random daily spawn rate) coincide. Literally hundreds of them can then be farmed in a single night.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Can now be used to craft Firefly Statues.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Rarity changed from White to Blue.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Can now be used as bait.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Rarity changed from White to Blue. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Rarity changed from White to Blue. ()
- Console 1.07: Can now be used as bait.
- Console 1.06: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced with the ability to use it as bait.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with the ability to use it as bait.