The Flare Gun is a ranged weapon that provides a ranged method of illuminating areas. It fires Flares and Blue Flares, which provide light and stick to the blocks they hit. They also deal minimal damage, and inflict the On Fire! debuff. The Flare Gun is found randomly in Gold Chests underground.
Flares travel in a slight arc and stick to blocks (similar to Sticky Glowsticks), but have greater velocity and range. They are waterproof, and can be fired into and out of water. Once fired, Flares emit low-level, flickering, tinted light (red or blue, depending on the type fired) that lasts for 10 minutes. They stick to the blocks they impacted and will function underwater. Flares cannot be recovered once they burn out.
When held, the muzzle of the Flare Gun will continually emit a flare effect, as long as one Flare is in the player's inventory.
The Flare Gun cannot be reforged, and therefore cannot have Modifiers.
Flares[edit | edit source]
Flares are used as ammunition for the Flare Gun. There are two variants that work identically, but do not stack together: Flares (red) and Blue Flares. They can be purchased from the Merchant for 7 each, while a Flare Gun is in the player's inventory. 25-50 Red Flares are also found in Gold Chests that contains a Flare Gun.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Flare Gun will equip when the player holds
- Similar to Glowsticks, Flares do not actually become placed as blocks, and are not saved with the world.
- The Flare Gun will not fulfill the spawn criteria for the Arms Dealer.
- The damage type of the Flare Gun does not belong to any one, and will not be affected by any factors, including those for all types of damage (like Avenger Emblem or Wrath buff). However, the Flare and Blue Flare deal Ranged damage.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If playing in multiplayer, a player can use the Flare Gun much like a real-world flare gun, to signal other players for help. Due to its high range, it can shoot relatively far and can fairly easily reach the area of another player (barring obstacles).
- The Flare Gun's shots will pierce targets. Since it inflicts the On Fire! debuff, it can prove very useful for fighting off pre-hardmode hordes, such as the Blood Moon, as well as keeping track of bosses and monsters in dark environments.
- The Flare Gun can be especially useful against worm-like monsters (and bosses like the Eater of Worlds), or even the Brain of Cthulhu's Creeper minions.
- While mining downward, firing a flare where you are mining will allow it to fall with you as you mine.
- Farming fishing bait is easy, when you shoot the ground under you with the Flare Gun while wearing Flower Boots and auto-swinging a Bug Net. Expect around 25-40+ Buggy drops per flare duration using this method. This method is significantly faster than using the Golden Bug Net and Flower Boots combination alone, as the flare will break plants far faster than a swing of the Golden Bug Net.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Flare Gun and Flare sprites updated.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Introduced Blue Flares.
- The flare gun will no longer light up when the player has no Flares.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Sprites updated to match Desktop 1.3.1. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Sprites updated to match Desktop 1.3.1. ()
- Console 1.02: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 126.96.36.199 and the Blue Flare.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 188.8.131.52 and the Blue Flare.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 184.108.40.206 and the Blue Flare.