Floating Islands and Floating Lakes are located generally well above the world's main land mass and can be found all the way up to Space. Their location makes them susceptible to Harpies in Pre-Hardmode and Wyverns and Arch Wyverns in Hardmode. Being at such high altitude, players often experience reduced gravity when navigating them. Both are similar in size and placement, and both rest atop Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks with background Cloud Walls.
Floating Island[edit | edit source]
A Floating Island will usually contain a structure constructed from Sunplate Block, Disc Wall, and Glass Wall. It will always contain exactly one Skyware Chest along with other random Skyware furniture. Each Skyware Chest contains either a Lucky Horseshoe, Starfury, Shiny Red Balloon, or Sky Mill , along with other typical Surface Chest loot. Unique items are chosen at random, with the restriction that all four unique items must be spawned at least once before truly random unique items spawn on any remaining Islands.
|Map Size||Max Islands||Approximate Height|
|Small||4||250 - 600 ft. (125 - 300 tiles)|
|Medium||7||450 - 800 ft (225 - 400 tiles)|
|Large||8||650 - 1000 ft. (325 - 500 tiles)|
Contents[edit | edit source]
Floating Lake[edit | edit source]
Floating Lakes consist of nothing more than a large body of water, suitable for Fishing. There will be relatively few of these in a world. Unlike Floating Islands, they have neither Sunplate Block structures nor any of their contents. Several exclusive catches can be found there, like the Damselfish, Sky Crates and some quest fish including sky-exclusive Cloudfish.
Floating Lakes can rarely contain Water Chests.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands are randomly generated somewhere in the upper sixth of the map.
- Upon entering Hardmode, Floating Islands can become Corrupted, Crimsoned, or Hallowed if they fall within the path of the initial transformation.
- The structures found on some Floating Islands can usually become valid Houses for NPCs once a light source is added.
- Meteors may sometimes impact Floating Islands.
- Floating Lakes are not counted against the spawn limit for Floating Islands, e.g. there can be 5 Floating Islands on a medium-sized world and still more than one Floating Lake in addition.
- Not all worlds will provide all the unique items found inside of Skyware Chests, meaning that the player may have to access at least one other world or fish for Sky Crates to get all the unique items.
- It is possible to spawn on top of a Floating Island when creating a new world.
- In uncommon occasions, a Floating Island does not contain a house-room, and therefore no Chest. Sometimes, a house-room exists but there is no Chest present.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- To protect any Floating Islands or Floating Lakes from meteors, place a chest 25 blocks from either edge of the island.
- There are numerous methods to locate Floating Islands:
- Gravitation Potions (or the Gravity Globe ) facilitate unrestrained movement in the air, without requiring access to flying accessories.
- Using a Depth Meter, build a staircase or rope line up to the height where Floating Islands usually spawn. Build a skybridge to either side until finding an Island. Common blocks like Dirt, Stone, or Hay can be used for the skybridge.
- Use a long-range weapon with a ricocheting projectile, such as a gun with Meteor Shots. The projectile's return will signify a landmass above.
- Use a bow to shoot straight upwards with a high-velocity arrow. If only some of the arrows return, that signifies that some have hit a solid landmass. This only works on small worlds due to the height of the Islands in larger worlds.
- Floating Islands will catch Fallen Stars. Areas on the surface in which Fallen Stars rarely or never fall may have a Floating Island above.
- Create a Hardcore character, die, and become a Ghost, and then fly around to look for an Island. Once you have found one, you can log back in to your main character and navigate to it.
- Occasionally, Floating Islands spawn low enough to open up other methods of locating them:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands were originally made out of Dirt and Stone Blocks. The house was either made of Gold, Silver or Copper Bricks with a single Gold Chest inside, causing it to resemble a shrine. Grass vines hanging below the island could be used to locate it as projectiles would make noise when destroying them.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Sky Lakes introduced to make sky fishing easier.
- Desktop 1.2: Chests no longer require keys and islands have been revamped.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Gold Chests are now replaced with locked chests.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.