Floating Islands and Floating Lakes are located generally well above the world's main land mass and can be found all the way up to Space. Their location makes them susceptible to Harpies in pre-hardmode, Wyverns and Arch Wyverns ( ) in Hardmode. Being at such high altitude, players often experience reduced gravity when navigating them. Both are similar in size and placement, and both rest atop Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks with background Cloud Walls.
Floating Island[edit | edit source]
A Floating Island contains a mass of isolated Forest land and a house-like structure. Each world will contain at least one Floating Island, up to a possible eight maximum in large worlds.
Floating Islands will usually contain a structure constructed from Sunplate Block, Disc Wall, and Glass Wall. It will always contain exactly one Skyware Chest along with other random Skyware furniture. Each Skyware Chest contains either a Lucky Horseshoe, Starfury, Shiny Red Balloon, or Sky Mill, along with other typical Forest chest loot. Unique items are chosen at random, with the restriction that all four unique items must be spawned at least once before truly random unique items spawn on any remaining Islands.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops||For Sale|
From Skyware Chests:
From the structure:
From Arch Wyvern :
Floating Lake[edit | edit source]
|Desktop-Only Content: This section's information applies only to the Desktop version of Terraria.|
Floating Lakes consist of nothing more than a large body of water, suitable for Fishing. There will be relatively few of these in a world. Unlike Floating Islands, they do not have Sunplate Block structures, or any of their contents. Some exclusive catches can be found there, like the Damselfish, Sky Crates and some quest fish including sky-exclusive Cloudfish.
Floating Lakes can rarely contain Water Chests.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Is This Heaven? • "You have found a floating island!"|
|Discover your first Floating Island.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In uncommon occasions, a Floating Island won't contain a house-room, and therefore no chest.
- Floating Islands are randomly generated somewhere in the upper sixth of the map.
- Upon entering Hardmode, Floating Islands can become Corrupted, Crimsoned, or Hallowed if they fall within the path of the initial transformation.
- The structures found on some Floating Islands can become valid Houses for NPCs once a light source is added.
- Meteors may sometimes impact Floating Islands.
- Floating Lakes are not counted against the spawn limit for Floating Islands. eg., there can be 5 Floating Islands on a medium-sized world and still more than one Floating Lake in addition.
- It is possible to spawn on top of a Floating Island when creating a new world.
- Not all worlds will provide all the unique items found inside of Skyware Chests, meaning that the player may have to access at least one other world or fish for Sky Crates ( ) to get all the unique items.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands can be located using a long-range weapon with a ricocheting projectile, such as the Water Bolt. The projectile's return will signify a landmass above.
- A bow can help locate islands as well, if the player shoots straight upwards with a high-velocity arrow; if only some arrows return, there is a sky island. (This only works on small worlds due to the height of the islands in larger worlds.)
- Gravitation Potions make locating and accessing Floating Islands much easier.
- Floating Islands will catch Fallen Stars. Areas on the surface in which Fallen Stars rarely or never fall may have a Floating Island above.
- Sometimes sky islands generate over dungeons, making them easy to get to using wings or rocket boots, and a grappling hook.
- A Gravity Globe can be quite helpful, as it provides endless gravitation.
- To protect any Floating Islands or Floating Lakes from meteors, place a chest 25 blocks from either edge of the island.
- The UFO Mount allows for endless flight, and makes finding Floating Islands easy.
- One way to find floating islands is to create a Hardcore character, die and become a Ghost, and then fly around to look for one. Once you have found one, you can log back in to your main character and navigate to it.
- Another way to find floating islands is to go up to the height where floating islands are typically found, then create a temporary skybridge using the Ice Rod.
- It is possible to locate a floating island via a water fountain falling low enough to been seen when flying.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands were originally made out of Dirt and Stone Blocks. The house was either made of Gold, Silver or Copper Bricks with a single Gold Chest inside, causing it to resemble a shrine. Grass vines hanging below the island could be used to locate it as projectiles would make noise when destroying them.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Sky Lakes introduced to make sky fishing easier.
- Desktop 1.2: Chests no longer require keys and islands have been revamped.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Gold Chests are now replaced with locked chests.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
| Biomes and Structures|
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • Evil Biome (The Corruption • The Crimson) • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Dungeon • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Mini-Biomes||Bee Hive • Granite Cave • Lihzahrd Temple • Marble Cave • Meteorite • Spider Nest|
|Structures and Other Biomes||Chasm • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Floating Island • Heart Shrine • Jungle Shrine/Jungle Sanctum • Living Tree (Living Mahogany Tree ) • Pyramid • Ruined House • Underground Cabin|