|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Throws a controllable flying knife|
- Flying Knife
The Flying Knife is a unique Hardmode melee weapon dropped by the Hallowed Mimic. It throws a reusable cursor-controllable projectile similar to the Magic Missile mechanic, though more erratic and with no mana cost. Like boomerangs, the projectile returns to the player.
Holding the ⚒ Use / Attack button after use directs the projectile's general path, although it also continuously moves on its own and ricochets off blocks. As such, it may require a little practice to be used properly. It returns to the player when the ⚒ Use / Attack button is released, or after one minute of continuous use. Being a melee weapon, it costs no mana or ammunition. The Flying Knife also emits a good deal of light during use, but it may be difficult to use considering its erratic movement. Like most piercing weapons, it is very effective against enemies with multiple segments.
Its best Modifier is Demonic. Though the Flying Knife can obtain the Godly prefix, the added knockback is not beneficial and makes it tricky to damage the same targets. Furthermore, the knife will not necessarily be knocking enemies away from you. Alternatively, prefixes that reduce knockback (the best being Ruthless) can be beneficial, reducing the distance enemies are knocked away from your cursor.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Flying Knife has a tendency to fly through walls at times, usually when in small spaces.
- The long returning arc can be ignored if you leave the mouse cursor between the knife and a wall. The knife will try to follow the mouse cursor and keep bouncing off the wall, granting a much higher DPS than it would in open space. This is extremely useful against The Destroyer.
- The Flying Knife can be useful for damaging both of The Twins at once; though this can cause them to go into their second phases both at the same time, which can be a pain to deal with.
- This can also be useful for eliminating Crawltipedes from a distance, though it is somewhat outclassed by the Possessed Hatchet in this regard.
- If you get Stoned by Medusa and you already have Flying Knife thrown-out, you can use it to kill the Medusa or other enemies that approach you.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced.