Forbidden Armor is a Hardmode armor set consisting of the Forbidden Mask, Forbidden Robes and the Forbidden Treads. Crafting the full set requires 3 Forbidden Fragments and 46 Titanium Bars or Adamantite Bars. It provides a total of 26 defense, increases magic and summon damage by 15%/ 25% each, increases maximum mana by 80, and increases the minion capacity by 2 (for a total of 3).
With the full set equipped, a golden, spiky, rune-like object, known as the Forbidden Sign, floats behind the player in a very similar fashion to the Stardust Guardian from the Stardust armor set. Double tapping ▼ Down or ▲ Up (depending on the "Activate Set Bonuses" setting) will send a beam of dust particles that summon a sand tornado at the nearest block surface beneath the cursor position at the cost of 20 mana. The beam itself does not deal any damage, but the tornado deals continuous damage to any enemy that comes in direct contact with it. The Sign also casts a faint yellow light around the player, similar to the Mining Helmet.
The storm summoned by the Forbidden Sign rapidly hits for 20 base damage, and is affected by both increases to magic and minion damage (effectively making the Forbidden Mask add +30% damage, spread across two damage types). Items that increase all damage types (like Celestial Shell or Avenger Emblem) will effectively contribute their value twice. The storm's critical strike chance is based entirely on the player's magic critical strike chance.
The dust particles can not pass through solid objects, which means that if there is a solid object between the character and the cursor, the beam will hit the solid object, stop there, and the sand tornado will not be summoned. Only one sand tornado can be summoned at a time, and when a new tornado is summoned, the old one disappears after roughly 1 second. A space of at least 3×12 blocks is required for the tornado to be summoned. If no enemies come in contact with the tornado, it disappears after 15 seconds.
Forbidden armor is the Desert counterpart to the Snow biome's Frost armor, as they are both obtained similarly. However, Frost armor buffs melee and ranged weapons instead of magic and summon weapons.
Set[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
|Forbidden Mask||Mythril Anvil|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The sand tornado can be summoned even when afflicted with the Stoned debuff.
- The total bonuses are composed of the following on Console version and Mobile version:
- 15% magic and minion damage each from Mask.
- +80 maximum mana from Robes.
- +2 minion capacity from Treads.
- The total bonuses are composed of the following on Desktop version:
- 15% magic and minion damage each from Mask.
- +40 maximum mana, 10% minion damage and +1 minion capacity from Robes.
- +40 maximum mana, 10% magic damage and +1 minion capacity from Treads.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- In terms of stats, this set is less powerful than Mythril armor with the mage headpiece, the Mythril Hood. Although, with correct use of the sand tornado and the extra minion slots one could get higher DPS than with Adamantite armor.
- The set bonus can be very useful for fighting The Destroyer and other worm enemies, as it can very rapidly hit multiple segments.
- Dyeing the chest piece will change the color of the Forbidden Sign, even if a vanity chest piece is in use.
- If only summoning bonuses are needed, it may be a better idea to simply go for Spider armor instead. Spider armor can be obtained directly after Hardmode begins and offers superior summoning bonuses.
- Though it is weaker than Spider armor and Obsidian armor for pure summoners, its mixed nature is useful for summoners playing on harder difficulties, especially in Master worlds, as magic weapons allow for much safer strategies when fighting Mechanical bosses.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The set resembles the Egyptian god of death and funerals, Anubis, who is known for being depicted as a man with a canine head associated with death.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1: The Forbidden Robes now give a 10% summon damage boost and the Forbidden Treads give a 10% magic damage boost.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: While the total benefits of the set remain unchanged, the benefits of Forbidden Robes and Treads have been split evenly, with each now giving 40 mana and +1 Minion count.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Adamantite/Titanium Bars needed for the Forbidden Mask and Treads fixed.
- Desktop 1.3.3: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168.0: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 22.214.171.124.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Depends on Activate Set Bonuses setting