"The Frost Legion has arrived!"
The Frost Legion is a Hardmode event during which unique Snowman enemies spawn and swarm a player's spawn point, similar to the Goblin Army. It is summoned using the Snow Globe, and defeating it unlocks the Santa Claus NPC.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
|Progress bar icon|
- The Frost Legion must be summoned using the Snow Globe, which is acquired from Presents obtained during the Christmas seasonal event ( December 15th-31st / December 1st-31st). Presents must be opened specifically in a Hardmode world to get a Snow Globe.
- Unlike the Goblin Army, the Frost Legion can only be summoned by the player, using the Snow Globe. The Legion will never invade on its own.
- It is not necessary for the Christmas seasonal event to be active for the Frost Legion to be summoned.
Initial event[edit | edit source]
When summoned, a message will appear: The Frost Legion is approaching from the [east/west]!
The direction specified in this message only pertains to the initial wave of Snowmen, which spawns at the world's edge and travels to the player's original spawn point. Additional waves spawn immediately within the player's original spawn area. If the message says "West", the Snowmen will come from the left. If the message says "East", they'll arrive from the right. Note that these directions are not related to the apparent motion of the sun and the moon, which, in Terraria, appear to move from left ("West") to right ("East").
When the Frost Legion is about to begin spawning around the player's spawn point, the following message appears: The Frost Legion has arrived! and the theme music will switch to the Boss 3 theme.
Completing the event[edit | edit source]
- The event is completed when a certain threshold of enemies defeated is reached: A base number of 80 Snowmen always spawns. For each player with at least 200 maxmimum health, an additional 40 Snowmen spawn. While a single player needs to defeat 120 Snowmen, eight players with 200 HP or more have to defeat 400 Snowmen. The maximum threshold is 10,280 Snowmen, for a game with 255 players with at least 200 HP.
- When the final wave of Snowmen is on the screen, a message will appear saying, The Frost Legion has been defeated!, and the music will return to normal.
- Once the Frost Legion is defeated, the Santa Claus NPC will be available and will move into an empty house, but will only be present from December 15th-31st. However, it is possible to get him as early as December 1st on the Mobile version and . version
- Whenever you defeat the Frost Legion for the first time, the Clothier will sell the Balla Hat and the Gangsta Hat.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Even though the Snow Globe can only be obtained in Hardmode, the Frost Legion can be summoned in a pre-Hardmode world.
- Snowmen override the current biome's enemies in the same way as Meteor Heads and the Goblin Army do.
- The invasion will not prevent most other events, so you may end up fighting the Frost Legion and a boss at the same time. A Blood Moon may occur during a Frost Legion event, but will only cause other enemies to spawn after the Frost Legion has been defeated.
- If you happen to be on the Ocean floor when a Frost Legion is approaching, the initial wave of Snowmen will spawn underwater. Additional waves will only spawn when you return to the world spawn point.
- Snowmen will not break down doors, unlike the Goblins from the Goblin Army.
- The Frost Legion does not leave if you exit the world and come back; they will stay until defeated.
- The Snowmen are immune to the On Fire!, Shadowflame and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As in other invasions, if you're far enough underground, the snowmen won't spawn, even after getting the message that they've arrived. This means you don't have to head back to your house immediately upon receiving a message of an imminent attack. However, the invasion will remain and the snowmen will appear if you go to the surface.
- The Snowmen are incapable of jumping down through simple platforms.
- The Frost Legion tends to leave placed Snow Blocks everywhere. You may wish to fight them some distance from your base, to avoid having to "clean up" afterward.
- The Snowmen are considered as cold themed enemies, so a Warmth Potion would be very helpful.
- Because the Frost Legion enemies are intended for Hardmode armor and weapons, it is not advisable for those without such gear to summon a Frost Legion.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
|Exploding Snowman Sprite|
- A fourth Snowman sprite is seen within the game resources with dynamite lodged in its head. It is not used in the game, likely for the damage to blocks that it would cause. It might also not be included because it might demolish or trap its own allies.
- The changelog of 1.2 stated that the Frost Legion is back, now with another member, so it may have been considered for addition at the time.
- Additionally, along with many other enemies, the still unused Exploding Snowman was resprited for the 1.3.5 update.
- The achievement "Do You Want to Slay a Snowman?" is a joke on the famous song Do You Want to Build a Snowman? from the 2013 Disney animated feature movie Frozen.
- It is possible to obtain presents outside of the usual time window of the Christmas event by altering the date and time settings of your device.
- Although it says this event will swarm the world spawn, in reality, it swarms the area nearest to the player as long as NPC's are nearby. For example, if a player is in the ocean while an invasion event is happening, the invasion will swarm spawn, whereas if the player has an NPC with a beach-side house at the ocean, the invasion will swarm that area instead.
- The snowmen randomly placing snow may be a reference to Minecraft's snow golem, which places snow as it walks.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated for all enemies.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.