"The Frost Legion has arrived!"
The Frost Legion is a Hardmode event during which unique Snowman enemies spawn and swarm a player's spawn point, similar to the Goblin Army. It is summoned using the Snow Globe, and defeating it unlocks the Santa Claus NPC.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
|Progress bar icon|
- The Frost Legion must be summoned using the Snow Globe, which is acquired from Presents obtained during the Christmas seasonal event ( December 15–31 / December 1–January 15). Presents must be opened specifically in a Hardmode world to get a Snow Globe.
- Unlike the Goblin Army, the Frost Legion can only be summoned by the player, using the Snow Globe. The Legion will never invade on its own.
- It is not necessary for the Christmas seasonal event to be active for the Frost Legion to be summoned.
Initial event[edit | edit source]
When summoned, a status message will appear: "The Frost Legion is approaching from the [east/west]!"
The direction specified in this message only pertains to the initial wave of Snowmen, which spawns at the world's edge and travels to the player's original spawn point. Additional waves spawn immediately within the player's original spawn area. If the message says "west", the Snowmen will come from the left. If the message says "east", they will arrive from the right. Note that these directions are not related to the apparent motion of the sun and the moon, which, in Terraria, appear to move from left ("west") to right ("east").
When the Frost Legion is about to begin spawning around the player's spawn point, the following status message appears: "The Frost Legion has arrived!" The theme music will switch to the Boss 3 theme.
Completing the event[edit | edit source]
- The event is completed when a certain threshold of enemies defeated is reached: A base number of 80 Snowmen always spawns. For each player with at least 200 maximum health, an additional 40 Snowmen spawn. While a single player needs to defeat 120 Snowmen, eight players with 200 HP or more have to defeat 400 Snowmen. The maximum threshold is 10,280 Snowmen, for a game with 255 players with at least 200 HP.
- When the final wave of Snowmen is on the screen, a status message will appear saying, "The Frost Legion has been defeated!", and the music will return to normal once all of the Snowmen are cleared from the screen.
- Once the Frost Legion is defeated, the Santa Claus NPC will be available and will move into an empty house, but will only be present from December 15–31. However, it is possible to get him as early as December 1 on the . version
- Furthermore, the Clothier starts selling the Balla Hat and the Gangsta Hat.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Even though the Snow Globe can only be obtained in Hardmode, the Frost Legion can be summoned in a pre-Hardmode world.
- Snowmen override the current biome's enemies in the same way as Meteor Heads and the Goblin Army do.
- The invasion will not prevent most other events or boss fights.
- A Blood Moon may occur during a Frost Legion event, but will only cause other enemies to spawn after the Frost Legion has been defeated.
- If the player happens to be on the Ocean floor when a Frost Legion is approaching, the initial wave of Snowmen will spawn underwater. Additional waves will only spawn when the player returns to the world spawn point.
- Snowmen will not break down doors, unlike the Goblins from the Goblin Army.
- The Frost Legion does not leave if the player exits the world and comes back; they will stay until defeated.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As in other invasions, if the player is far enough underground, the Snowmen will not spawn, even after getting the message that they have arrived. This means it is not necessary to head back to the spawn immediately upon receiving a message of an imminent attack. However, the invasion will remain and the Snowmen will appear as soon as the player arrives at the surface.
- The Snowmen are incapable of jumping down through simple platforms.
- The Frost Legion tends to leave placed Snow Blocks everywhere. It may be preferable to fight them some distance from the player's base, to avoid having to "clean up" afterward.
- The Snowmen are considered as cold-themed enemies, so a Warmth Potion would be very helpful.
- The natural deposits of Snow Blocks are limited in a world. However, the Snowmen dropping them makes them a renewable resource.
- It is possible to obtain Presents (and in result, a Snow Globe) outside of the usual time window of the Christmas event by altering the date and time settings of the player's device.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
|Exploding Snowman Sprite|
- A fourth Snowman sprite is seen within the game resources with dynamite lodged in its head, but it is not used in the game.
- The achievement "Do You Want to Slay a Snowman?" is a joke on the famous song Do You Want to Build a Snowman? from the 2013 Disney animated feature movie Frozen.
- Although it says this event will swarm the world spawn, in reality, it swarms the area nearest to the player as long as NPCs are nearby. For example, if a player is in the Ocean while an invasion event is happening, the invasion will swarm spawn, whereas if the player has an NPC with a beach-side house at the Ocean, the invasion will swarm that area instead.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated for all enemies.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.