"The Frost Legion has arrived!"
The Frost Legion is a Hardmode event during which unique Snowman enemies spawn and swarm a player's spawn point, similar to the Goblin Army (though much harder). It is summoned using the Snow Globe, and rewards the player with the Santa Claus NPC.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
|Progress bar icon|
- The Frost Legion must be summoned using the Snow Globe. It is acquired from Presents obtained during the Christmas seasonal event ( December 15th-31st / December 1st- 31st). Presents must be opened specifically in a Hardmode world to get a Snow Globe.
- Unlike the Goblin Army, the Frost Legion can only be summoned by the player, using the Snow Globe. The Legion will never invade on its own.
- It is not necessary for the Christmas seasonal event to be active for the Frost legion to be summoned (it is only needed to acquire Presents).
- Because the Frost Legion enemies are intended for Hardmode armor and weapons, it is not advisable for those without such gear to summon a Frost Legion.
Initial event[edit | edit source]
When summoned, a message will appear: The Frost Legion is approaching from the [east/west]!
The direction specified in this message only pertains to the initial wave of Snowmen, which spawns at the World's edge and travels to the player's original spawn point. Additional waves spawn immediately within the player's original spawn area. If the message says "West", the Snowmen will come from the left. If the message says "East", they'll arrive from the right. Note that these directions are not related to the apparent motion of the Sun and the Moon, which, in Terraria, appear to move from left ("West") to right ("East").
When the Frost Legion is about to begin spawning around the player's spawn point, the following message appears: The Frost Legion has arrived! and the theme music will switch to the "Boss 3" theme.
Completing the event[edit | edit source]
- The event is completed when all the Snowmen in the legion are defeated. There will be 80 Snowmen, plus an additional 40 for each player that has a maximum health of 200 or more. In single player, the army will consist of 120 Snowmen, while in an 8-player game, with each player having 200 HP or more, it will spawn 400 Snowmen. With the maximum of 255 players above 200 health, the maximum number of snowmen in an invasion is 10,280.
- When the final wave of Snowmen is on the screen, a message will appear saying, The Frost Legion has been defeated!, and the theme music will return to normal.
- Once defeated, the Santa Claus NPC will be available and will move into an empty home, but will only be present from December 15th-31st. However, it is possible to get him as early as December 1st on the Mobile version and . version
- Whenever you defeat the Frost Legion for the first time, the Clothier will sell the Balla Hat and the Gangsta Hat.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Contents[edit | edit source]
From all enemies:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Snowmen override the current biome's enemies in the same way as Meteor Heads and the Goblin Army.
- The invasion will not prevent most other events, so you may end up fighting the Frost Legion and a boss at the same time. A Blood Moon may occur during a Frost Legion event, but will only cause other enemies to spawn after the Frost Legion has been defeated.
- If you happen to be on the Ocean floor when a Frost Legion is approaching, the initial wave of Snowmen will spawn underwater. Additional waves will only spawn when you return to the world spawn point.
- Snowmen will not break down doors, unlike the Goblins from the Goblin Army which do.
- The Frost Legion does not leave if you exit the world and come back; they will stay until defeated.
- They are immune to the On Fire!, Shadowflame and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As in other invasions, if you're far enough underground, the snowmen won't spawn, even after getting the message that they've arrived. This means you don't have to head back to your house immediately upon receiving a message of an imminent attack. However, the invasion will remain and the snowmen will appear if you go to the surface.
- The Snowmen are incapable of jumping down from simple platforms.
- The Frost Legion tends to leave placed Snow Blocks everywhere. You may wish to fight them some distance from your base, to avoid having to "clean up" afterward.
- The Snowmen are considered as cold themed enemies, so a Warmth Potion would be very helpful.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
|Exploding Snowman Sprite|
- A fourth Snowman sprite is seen within the game resources with dynamite lodged in its head. It is not used in the game, likely for the damage to blocks that it would cause. It might also not be included because it might demolish or trap its own allies.
- The changelog of 1.2 stated that the Frost Legion is back, now with another member, so it may have been considered for addition at the time.
- Additionally, along with many other enemies, the still unused Exploding Snowman was resprited for the 1.3.5 update.
- The Achievement "Do you want to slay a snowman" is a joke on the famous song "Do you want to build a snowman" from the Disney movie Frozen.
- In the PC version of the game, it is possible to obtain presents outside of the usual time window of the Christmas event by altering the Date and Time settings from your computer's control panel.
- Although it says this event will swarm the world spawn, it reality, it swarms the area nearest to the player as long as NPC's are nearby. Ex. If a player is in the ocean while an invasion event is happening, the invasion will swarm spawn. While if the player has an NPC with a beach-side house at the ocean, the invasion will swarm that area instead.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated for all enemies.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.