Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- Not to be confused with the Frost Legion, another summoned event.
The Frost Moon is a post-Plantera, Christmas-themed event summoned with the Naughty Present any time at night, ending at dawn (4:30 AM). It can be summoned any time of year and does not require the actual Christmas season. During the event, unique and highly difficult enemies spawn at high rates and attack the player. It is similar to the Pumpkin Moon event, but is more difficult and includes slightly more content. Visually, the moon turns into a snowman head, though remaining in its current phase. The event features a unique music track.
The entire event consists of 15 waves, plus 5 "bonus waves". Waves progress as the player reaches certain kill scores (though kill scores are not displayed to the player before wave 20). After a wave's required score is met, the next wave begins, and the kill score is reset to 0. Status messages will indicate when the wave has advanced, and which wave has been achieved. See the table below for the points awarded for each enemy and the score required for each wave.
The Frost Moon event always ends at 4:30 AM. The goal of the event is to progress through all 20 waves before the event ends.
The Naughty Present, which summons the Frost Moon, requires materials only available in Hardmode worlds where the player has already defeated Plantera (although it can still be summoned in pre-Hardmode worlds). As such, it is intended to present a challenge even to players with the best possible equipment. In the final waves, multiple boss-level enemies are fought at once.
Frost Moon enemies drop powerful weapons, as well as pet and vanity items. Most drop with extreme rarity, and even players who manage to complete the event will find they need to do so several times before obtaining them. Drop chances for items dropped by bosses increase as waves are completed. At wave 15, there is a 25% chance each Ice Queen, Santa-NK1 and Everscream killed will drop its respective trophy. This increases to 33% at wave 17 and 50% at wave 19.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Waves[edit | edit source]
- Total points required to reach wave 15: 3410, wave 20: 10160
- Present Mimics may spawn at any wave, instead of wave-appropriate enemies, if there are currently less than four Present Mimics around.
- The maximum number of bosses at once depends on the wave. While this number is reached (or possibly exceeded, for example if the player manages to somehow reach wave 9 without killing two Everscreams from wave 6), no more of this type of boss will spawn.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Frost Moon event will sometimes end after leaving and then reentering the world.
- Everscream, Santa-NK1 and Ice Queen can drop their trophies before wave 15 in Expert mode .
- Water Candles, Peace Candle, Battle Potions and Calming Potions have no effect during the invasion, as the same with some other events.
- If the player is killed during the event, the event is not canceled. The player will keep re-spawning and can continue fighting its enemies as the event continues until dawn. In single-player games, exiting the world and reloading it will cancel the event.
- The Frost Moon does not stack with the Blood Moon. Summoning the Frost Moon while a Blood Moon is active will result in a regular Frost Moon.
- Summoning a Pirate Invasion during a Frost Moon will cancel it.
- Lingering enemies beaten after the event is over will never drop any rare items.
- Any boss enemies that are still on a player's screen by the time dawn breaks will begin to move rapidly in a single direction, rushing off-screen to despawn. It is still possible to pursue or even kill some bosses while this is occurring.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Because spawn rates for areas where Frost Moon enemies cannot spawn are also increased, a Frost Moon can be used to farm for other items, e.g., Pirate Maps at the Ocean, while completely avoiding the Frost Moon enemies.
- The early-wave Frost Moon enemies are susceptible to the Ichor debuff, which makes a Flask of Ichor, Ichor Arrows or Bullets, or the Golden Shower very effective.
- Players should kill the enemies as soon as they spawn to ensure that more enemies can spawn continuously in order to increase the chances of reaching later waves.
- The Frost Moon can be a great way to obtain a large amount of coins quickly.
- A good potion to use is the Warmth Potion as it decreases damage significantly from enemies in the event.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Frost Moon was the hardest event in the game until update 126.96.36.199 , after which it was beaten by the Lunar Events.
- This is one of the few post-1.2 features available on the 3DS version.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed Invasion progress going negative in Frost Moon if you exceed ~32k points in multiplayer.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Added Elf Archer Banner, Elf Copter Banner, Flocko Banner, Gingerbread Man Banner, Krampus Banner, Nutcracker Banner, Present Mimic Banner, Yeti Banner, and Zombie Elf Banner.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Made it slightly easier to advance in Frost Moon waves.
- Made several Frost Moon monsters shoot slower and do less damage.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon can now be started when using a Snowman pet.
- All waves in Frost Moon correctly use "Flocko" in the warning.
- Flocko & Elf Copter now both correctly run away at dawn.
- Fixed frost moon wave display text (Elf Zombie to Zombie Elf).
- Desktop 1.2.2: Introduced.
- 3DS 1.03: Introduced.