|Use time||22 Fast|
|Tooltip||Shoots an icy bolt|
The Frostbrand is a Hardmode sword which can be considered a direct upgrade to the Ice Blade that also fires an "icy bolt" ball projectile when swung, which costs no ammunition or mana and does more damage. The projectile deals the same amount of damage as the sword itself, is not affected by gravity, and pierces through a single enemy, dissipating on its second hit. The projectile ability has a short cooldown of about 1.5 seconds. The Frostbrand drops from Ice Mimics in Underground Snow Biome.
The Frostbrand's projectile also emits a fair amount of light, with a bright burst of light on impact. It is capable of autoswing.
Its best Modifier is Legendary.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While the cooldown is active, you cannot switch items, but you can continue swinging the blade.
- A small particle effect and the mana recharge sound will notify the player of a recharged ice bolt.
- This sword could be considered to be a Hardmode upgrade of the Ice Blade.
- While the Frostbrand is on cooldown you can't use Glowsticks or a Flare Gun by using shift. When you try to do so you either swing the glowstick without anything happening or "shoot" with the Flare Gun without any projectile being fired. This sometimes causes the glowstick or Flare to be consumed.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Frostbrand is a rather powerful Hardmode sword, even when compared to the Excalibur: the former is far easier to obtain (since no Hardmode bosses have to be defeated) , added ranged capabilities. It also can be more useful than the Beam Sword in some scenarios, because while the Beam Sword does slightly more damage, Frostbrand's projectile will pierce an enemy, hitting some bosses twice.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Frostbrand's projectile is similar to the one fired by the Frost Staff magic weapon, except that the Staff costs mana, auto-fires rapidly, has slightly higher velocity, and does slightly less damage.
- The Frostbrand is likely a reference to the Dungeons & Dragons weapon of the same name.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Can now auto-swing.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.